Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

What I'm curious about is how mainstream is the belief that Vishnu used his discus to chop up Sati's body, since only one purana - the Markandeya purana - mentions it?  Somehow, it just sounds too cruel, and not characteristic of Narayan at all!  Yeah, the people @ the 51 shakti peeths, like Kamakhya, would definitely believe it, but is this something widely accepted that Vishnu did?

Yes, its widely accepted that Vishnu did it, though I wasn't able to believe he did it as well due to the lack of a proper source to refer from.  I didn't read the Puranas completely, so, didn't know it was from Markandeya Purana. Some versions of Ramayan and Mahabharat too tell the story of Sati. Didn't they mention anything about this?

But its known that He'll do anything to protect the world, like the time he had to kill Maharishi Brighu's wife to slay the asuras.

Also, there is a huge dispute on Sati burning herself too. Some versions say that She burnt herself with her inner energy, some say she entered the yagna kund, some say she just gave up her life and fell dead at Daksha's feet. Also, some versions say that Lord Shiva in Kailash knew what happened instantly through his yogic power on others say Nandi returned to Kailash to inform Lord Shiva what happened. Some versions say that Bhadhrakali was created by Devi Sati (as Adi Shakthi) from her anger on her father's behaviour.

Was Parvati born as a human?  Himavat was the mountain god representative of the Himalayas.  So would his daughter have been human, even though she lived on earth?  Ganga was his other daughter as well, but even she was divine, except for the brief period during her curse when she was married to Shantanu.  So it would seem that Parvati too was divine, but nonetheless had to perform severe austerities in order to win Mahadev's acceptance.

Not sure if Parvati was human. Her mother was an apsara (right?) and her father - I'm not sure if he was deva or yaksha. So, that doesn't make her human, I guess. I was referring to Sati. I never understood that part in the story when they said Adi Shakthi had to be born as and marry Shiva. Why couldn't they have lived like Vishnu & Lakshmi or Brahma - Saraswathi? Is it mentioned in any text that Adi Shakthi had to be born on the Earth to marry Lord Shiva?

On the language, I find the language here authentic, but somewhat unusual given some of the concepts they've borrowed, such as ahuti (sacrifice, but usually, a different term is used for offerings which I'm forgetting at the moment).  Given some of the recent serials that I've seen, that are either based in pre-Muslim era in India or even worse, mytho serials that freely use Urdu based words, I'd say DkDM is far better.

It gives me a chance to learn much more and I like these dialogues too. Its just that they are different and I'm trying to get a hold on the dialogues so that I can understand better.  I started learning Hindi after I started watching NDTVI Ramayan. My main source is the serials I watch and then ask some friends explanations on the words I don't understand. Words like Ahuti etc., I can understand since they are Sanskrit based and a lot of these words are there in Tamil as well with the same pronunciation. My main problem is that some words are there in both Hindi/Sanskrit and Tamil (and other South Indian languages)but the meaning has been interpreted differently. For example, the word asambhav means impossible in Hindi (right?), in Tamil asambhavam or asambhavitham means a bad incident or event. Same goes for 'peeda'. It means pain (right?) here whereas peedai or peeda means an evil being/presence or some unlucky creature, etc. in Tamil. It took me a while to come out of all this confusion. Thanks to all those who write the written updates - otherwise I'd have never been able to understand this much. 

Some funny incidents happened too. If you remember the Panchavaktram episodes in NDTVI Ramayan, Shurpanakha visits Indrajit guarding the Panchavaktram and she expresses her doubts on whether he would be able to do it (or something of that sort) when Indrajit screams 'Bhua!'
I was totally confused - bhua in some South Indian dialects, means 'food' (sometimes used as a sang for the word food). I couldn't make head or tail of it. I was thinking why was he screaming for food in the middle of a battlefield to his aunt? Then a friend of mine explained that the word mean aunt in Hindi.

But words like ahuti, neer (water) etc. are there in Tamil with their original meanings.

Edited by Vibhishna - 11 years ago
Vibhishna thumbnail

Originally posted by: subha2601

Due 2 Lord Brahma's wish 4 some reason,shiv and adishakti got separated.When Brahma wanted dem 2 reunite,dey said it can't be possible now.But Adishakti promised Brahma dat she will take human avatar and marry Shiv.Dis is what was shown 2 us in da initial episodes.

Thanks. I just wanted to know why she had to take a human avatar. Why couldn't she just live with Lord Shiva on Kailash?

Whether god or man, once born or created has to live by certain rules. Some say that Gods need not do penances or redemptions but  will do so to set an example for the world. Some say that if gods keep ignoring the rules and act the way they want to, they'll lose their power and get into trouble. There are so many instances (mentioned in the Puranas) when Devi Parvati had to do penances  - like the time she closed Lord Shiva's eyes playfully.
vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Hey vibhishana me to experience the same as u (Tamil words )...i am super dupper happy that u too felt like ...me ...Bhua concept makes  me to nuts the first time i heard ...🤪. Though i can understand the language well ,some times it craks me a lot ...Asambhav its really a magical dialect ,having different meaning in different language . 20 % of sanskrit words are in Tamil too ,but i personally believe Kannada is having more Sanskrit words than ours ...  

As per PArvati's state ...THe logic is SHiv act PAramatma and Parvati act as jeeAtma in the eyes of HUmans .Its a symbolical representation and leela by god that , Jeevatma (LIke parvati) to attain god (SHiv) is possible by sheer determination . Even Radha Krishna Shadhi to symbolizes that . Its only for human beings ,that they must know from ashes (sati) ,and as a human (parvathi) attained god .LIke that ,every soul must find its SHiv (paramatma) inside it.(Shadhi for gods are not materialized like humans ,they are just examples of  Jeeatma - paramatma union  ).By taking a human birth ,Parvathi fulfilled Mena's boon (sometime boons too trick them) ,like jagat pitha ,and jagat mata reunited (They need human's attention thats all ..,because they love them and love to cherished by them)
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Vibs

On the question of how Sati died, Varaali described it in this thread on pg 10  She adapted a yogic posture and shed her body - refer that post.

On the languages, funnily enough, since shudh Hindi doesn't include Urdu based words, I never had any trouble understanding any of the mythos in Hindi (great example being RS Ramayan, where the term 'dukan' was used instead of 'bazaar' to describe the marketplace), since I was coming @ it from a Bong background.  However, following the usual Hindi serials, like KMH, used to be really tough, since they tended to go heavy on Urdu based terminology, which is normally not used in Bengali, and therefore tough to follow unless one knows it already.  I therefore had to read updates to understand what was going on.

I too have wondered why Sati had to be born twice before settling down w/ Shiva forever as Parvati, when Saraswati and Lakshmi never had to go through that.  Also interesting is that while Brahma-lok and Vaikuntha dham are in the heavens, Mahadev chooses to reside w/ Parvati on earth, specifically on Kailash.
Vibhishna thumbnail

Vibs

On the question of how Sati died, Varaali described it in this thread on pg 10  She adapted a yogic posture and shed her body - refer that post.

On the languages, funnily enough, since shudh Hindi doesn't include Urdu based words, I never had any trouble understanding any of the mythos in Hindi (great example being RS Ramayan, where the term 'dukan' was used instead of 'bazaar' to describe the marketplace), since I was coming @ it from a Bong background.  However, following the usual Hindi serials, like KMH, used to be really tough, since they tended to go heavy on Urdu based terminology, which is normally not used in Bengali, and therefore tough to follow unless one knows it already.  I therefore had to read updates to understand what was going on.

I too have wondered why Sati had to be born twice before settling down w/ Shiva forever as Parvati, when Saraswati and Lakshmi never had to go through that.  Also interesting is that while Brahma-lok and Vaikuntha dham are in the heavens, Mahadev chooses to reside w/ Parvati on earth, specifically on Kailash.

I tried to figure out where each world was but still haven't got it right. Kailash belongs to Bhuvar Loka and not Bhu Loka. Bhu Loka is the first of the lower worlds or underworlds and Bhuvar Loka is the first of the upper worlds.

Did anyone notice the background of Vaikund and the background when Lord Shiva wanders the Universe carrying Sati in this series? Its got a good collection of famous astronomical wonders...

LeadNitrate thumbnail

Vibs

Vrish u r bong too? yuppy, aj theke sudhu bangla ðŸ˜†

Vrish during durgapuja our pujariji used to chant a story where  its said adi shakti was the first creator and Brahmn was her inactive form. She wished to be two, so she created brahma and vishnu. they could not stand her  power. ONly shiv could, but he made her promise to reduce her power by taking 108 births. parvathi was her 108th birth.
vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
It is said that Renuka devi ,(THe mother of Parasu Ram) is also a ansh or amsha  of ADI SAkthi . Is that true?
Vibhishna thumbnail

Originally posted by: vanadhi

It is said that Renuka devi ,(THe mother of Parasu Ram) is also a ansh or amsha  of ADI SAkthi . Is that true?

According to some legends, yes.

Rishi Jamdagnni was an aspect (not exactly an avataar - in  Tamil, they use the word 'amsam') of Lord Shiva and Renuka Devi was said to be an aspect of Adi Shakthi.

According to one of the versions, when Lord Parashuram was instructed to cut off his mother's (in this story, Parashuram had no brothers) head, a washerman and his wife tried to stop him and shelter Renuka Devi. In some versions, it is said that Renuka Devi took shelter with the washermen couple and sought their protection. Lord Parashuram had to behead them too to reach his mother and eventually cut off her head. Rishi Jamdagni was pleased and granted a boon to Parashuram telling him that he would grant anything he wised. Parashuram asked for his mother (and her protectors) to come back to life. Sage Jamdagni consented and instructed Parashuram to place their heads on their bodies and they will come back to life. Parashuram hurried to the hut where he slew his mother and the couple who sheltered her. He placed the heads over their bodies and they came to life. But he had misplaced his mother's head on the other woman's body. So, Renuka Devi's head was attached to the washerman's wife and her body had the washerwoman's head.

Aghast on what had happened, Parashuram prayed to his father to forgive him. Rishi Jamdagni said that what has happened cannot be undone and he cannot live with either woman since one bears the head of another man's wife and the other bears the same lady's body. He also said the washerman also cannot take either woman as his wife as Renuka Devi is like a mother to him. Renuka Devi then became a local deity in that place called Ellamma Devi. Rishi Jamdagni dedicated the rest of his life for penances.

There are many other versions. One says that Renuka Devi, while resurrected took different forms and became local deities in a lot of places and her human form remained with Rishi Jamdagni. One version says, her spiritual self became a river and she took up the name Ellamma Devi and resided on the banks as a local deity. Some of these stories include Ramabhadhra's brothers too.
Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Rishi Jamdagni should have asked King Vikramaditya for advice. There was a story like this in Vetala Panchavimshati where a woman's husband and brother ended up beheaded in a Durga temple. She prayed to the goddess who was pleased and told her to put the heads back on the bodies and they would be revived. In her hurry the woman mixed up the heads and her brother's head ended up with her husband's body and vice versa. This left her confused as whom she should see as her husband. Vetala posed that question to Vikram and he replied: the man whose body is with her husband's head is her husband since the head is the most important factor, the person's identity is determined by the head (in other words, you are your brain). Vetala confirmed that this was the right answer and went back to his tree. 
Vibhishna thumbnail
I thought King Vikramaditya said she should remain with whom her husband's heart is as its the heart that can love and not the mind - meaning that she should remain with person with her husband's body. I didn't find this explanation convincing, though. Maybe I should get a better book on those stories.

Besides, as per the Vetaal's story, Vikramaditya (or the woman) had to choose whom she should live with. The Vetaal posted the question whom she should live with and not what she should do if I remember right. I don't think that was the case in Jamdagni's story.