\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ - Page 52

Posted: 12 years ago
Okay, did Vishnu ever promise Daksha a boon to support him whenever he needed it?  This is the first time I'm hearing of it.

From what I understand, the reason Vishnu supported Daksha, just like the Devas did, was that as one of the attendees of his yagna, he was duty bound to protect it.  That was his motivation - otherwise, that was the one occasion when what he did was against the precepts of dharm, and unsurprisingly, he got trounced by Virbhadra.  

But otherwise, I've never read about Vishnu giving Daksha any such boons.  Also, Daksha wasn't a trikal-darshi - how was he to know that later on, he would have a confrontation w/ Sati that would provoke a fight w/ Shiva for which he'd need Vishnu's help?
hi

Excellent info guys, keep it up
Read somewhere that Daksha had another wife, named Panchajani. He had 24 daughters with Prasuti and 60 with Panchajani.
This Vijaya...I think she might be Panchajani's daughter, not Prasuti's.

After reading this...I'm more confused than ever. 😕 http://www.dharmakshetra.com/avatars/Matsya%20Purans.html

@Vrish-as per the puranas no such thing happened...i guess the makers have put this in to maybe justify why Vishnu supported Daksh during the Yagya and not Shiva even though he holds Shiva in such a high regard
@Mithi-the Shiva Purana says Dakshas wife was Prasuti...but ya many other puranas etc state that he had two wifes,while one says his wifes name wasnt prasuti but something else!
Originally posted by .Vrish.

From what I understand, the reason Vishnu supported Daksha, just like the Devas did, was that as one of the attendees of his yagna, he was duty bound to protect it.  That was his motivation

According to Bhagavatam, Vishnu and Brahma did not attend the yagna because they already knew such a thing would happen (as Shiva was not invited). Vishnu had one more reason for not attending the yagna - the yagna was being conducted to propitiate Vishnu.

After Veerabhadra and other Shiv ganas had trounced the yagna, then Brahma went to Shiva and calmed him down. Then Shiva came to the yagna and this time Brahma also came. However, Vishnu did not attend the yagna even this time being the Lord of the yagna. The yagna was completed and now Vishnu appeared on Garuda to bless everybody.

hey all...m new member to dis show...:)...my one of the many doubts is...according to some there are 2ganas  namely shiv gan and vishnu gan...then how cum  in kundalis there are written about 3ganas-dev gan,daitya gan,manushya gan..??

hope anybody would solve dis...
thanks in advancce...:)
Shruti

Thanks - that's what I thought.

akhl

So the mutilation of Sati's body by Vishnu's discus - is that there in Bhagvatam?  (Incidentally, when you say Bhagvatam, do you mean Shrimad Bhagvatam or Devi Bhagvatam?)
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Okay, did Vishnu ever promise Daksha a boon to support him whenever he needed it?  This is the first time I'm hearing of it.

From what I understand, the reason Vishnu supported Daksha, just like the Devas did, was that as one of the attendees of his yagna, he was duty bound to protect it.  That was his motivation - otherwise, that was the one occasion when what he did was against the precepts of dharm, and unsurprisingly, he got trounced by Virbhadra.  

But otherwise, I've never read about Vishnu giving Daksha any such boons.  Also, Daksha wasn't a trikal-darshi - how was he to know that later on, he would have a confrontation w/ Sati that would provoke a fight w/ Shiva for which he'd need Vishnu's help?

I know of no such boon. Yes, according to the Skanda Purana, Vishnu did attack Veerabhadra but there was no special boon involved. I am guessing that the makers are trying to increase the drama, with Vishnu having to go up against Shiva because of the boon.

No, I don't think they are trying to show Daksha as 'trikal darshi'. I think Daksha asked for that boon because he still hasn't gotten over his grudge against Shiva and is thinking about how to defeat him and so he wanted to make sure that when he does come up with a plan to do so, he would have a way to make Vishnu fight for him rather than stop him like he did at the at swayamvar.

Speaking of Veerabhadra, I wonder if they will show him or have Shiva himself go on the rampage. I say this because when they showed the flashbacks of Brahma losing his fifth head (albeit in the form of silhouettes), not once was there a mention of Bhairava. So it makes me think they might go with Shiva himself rather than Veerabhadra when the time comes for Daksha to meet his fate.
Edited by Kal El - 12 years ago
Originally posted by flamingo_aries

hey all...m new member to dis show...:)...my one of the many doubts is...according to some there are 2ganas  namely shiv gan and vishnu gan...then how cum  in kundalis there are written about 3ganas-dev gan,daitya gan,manushya gan..??

hope anybody would solve dis...
thanks in advancce...:)
Shiv-ganas & Vishnu-ganas are the one who are serving Shivji & Vishnuji.
Astrological ganas are different, they represent the temperament of the person & are given importance while matching the birth charts for marriage.