\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ - Page 50

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by shruti.nil

now my doubt...๐Ÿ˜†...
what does the word OM mean?why is it associated with Shiva?,and why do most of the mantras like the Gayatri Mantra start with an OM?
please reply
thanks in advance
shruti
OM's origine is connected with origine of the Shivling. When Brhmaji & Vishnuji were arguing about who is the greatest among them,a Shivling menifested among them. They heard a sound Om,were curious to know the origine of the sound. Vishnuji saw the letter 'A'  towards the south of the Shivling, 'U' in the centre & 'M' in the North. This Mantra Om was dazzling like a Sun, there was no beginning & end to the OM. they were curious to know about it's origine, Shddenly Shivji appeared in form of a rishi, gave them the knowledge regarding OM. He said Brhmaji had originated from 'O', Vishnuji from 'U' & he himself, Shivji from 'M'. The letter 'A' signifies Creation, 'U' signifies Nourishment' & 'M' signifies Salvation. OM is also called the "Shabda-Brhma"
It is recommended for Grihasthas to put OM before each mantra.
Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
Originally posted by romi21

now im really eager to buy the Devi Puran & read the actual story given about our Gods

Actually, you can read about it online here - I'm guessing that Devi Puran is the same as Srimad Devi Bhagvatam  The only shortcoming of this Sacred Texts Page is that it hasn't bothered to spell out the chapter names, and has just given a numerical listing.  Given that the main site covers sacred texts of all religions, I don't hold that against them.
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Actually, you can read about it online here - I'm guessing that Devi Puran is the same as Srimad Devi Bhagvatam  The only shortcoming of this Sacred Texts Page is that it hasn't bothered to spell out the chapter names, and has just given a numerical listing.  Given that the main site covers sacred texts of all religions, I don't hold that against them.
 Both are compeletely different. I have both the books. Devi Bhagavat has 18000 shlokas, Devi Puran has 4500 shlokas. Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
Originally posted by mnx12

OM's origine is connected with origine of the Shivling. When Brhmaji & Vishnuji were arguing about who is the greatest among them,a Shivling menifested among them. They heard a sound Om,were curious to know the origine of the sound. Vishnuji saw the letter 'A'  towards the south of the Shivling, 'U' in the centre & 'M' in the North. This Mantra Om was dazzling like a Sun, there was no beginning & end to the OM. they were curious to know about it's origine, Shddenly Shivji appeared in form of a rishi, gave them the knowledge regarding OM. He said Brhmaji had originated from 'O', Vishnuji from 'U' & he himself, Shivji from 'M'. The letter 'A' signifies Creation, 'U' signifies Nourishment' & 'M' signifies Salvation. OM is also called the "Shabda-Brhma"
It is recommended for Grihasthas to put OM before each mantra.
thank you meenaxi for the lovely explanation๐Ÿ˜Š
Originally posted by shruti.nil

now my doubt...๐Ÿ˜†...
what does the word OM mean?why is it associated with Shiva?,and why do most of the mantras like the Gayatri Mantra start with an OM?
please reply
thanks in advance
shruti

From a yogic point of view- When the syllable 'AUM' is chanted, the "A" sound should resonate from the stomach region, the "U" sound from the heart -throat  region and the "M" from the nasal passage. If chanted correctly in this manner , it creates certain positive vibrations in the body. And since mantras too are supposed to have the same effect, most of them start with "AUM" 

Yes, Shiva is considered as embodiment of "OM" but it is sacred to other Gods too. Even the ashtakshara mantra  of Vishnu -"Om Namo Narayana" - begins with OM.  Same with the moola mantras of other Gods.

And  in the tenth chapter of Bhagavat Gita doesn't  Krishna say  " Among all the sounds, I am the sacred "OM" .
@Varaali...thank you for the explanation!๐Ÿ˜Š
okey..
Maharishi Dadhichi was a Shiva Bhakt-which one a reason why he walked out on Dakshas Sacrifice
i also read that his spine was used in the war against the Asurs-mianly to kill Vritrasur,and hence he sacrificed his life!
in the show Shiv gives him a Vardaan that all the bones in his body will become like Vajra/Iron
but i wanted to know the real story,how did Dadhichi's spine become such a powerful weapon?
Since there always a prevails wartime between devas and asuras...
Once devas placed their weapons in Rishi Dadhichi's Ashram and requested him to safeguard it from evil hands of demons .
Rishi Dadhichi accepted the duty and keep on guarding the weapons of devas . He feel tried that his regular life is affected much by this task (since the asura's frequent check over for the weapons)and finally decided to dissolve all the weapons in a Sacred water and mixed them with that water . Then he slowly drank all the mixture ...
so his body turned in to vajra...
When the devas returned and asked for the weapons he explained the situation and his body condition ...
When they all blinked what to do ...Rishi Dadhichi selflessly jumped in to a huge fire made by him ...thus reduced in to ashes by leaving his spine The Vajra ...
This is the famous weapon of Lord Indra who defeated Vritrasur later...    
Edited by vanadhi - 12 years ago
Originally posted by mnx12

Both are compeletely different. I have both the books. Devi Bhagavat has 18000 shlokas, Devi Puran has 4500 shlokas.

@ mnx12:
 Hi, so which book do you suggest we should buy...Devi Bhagavatam or Devi Puran.
@ mnx12:
 Hi, so which book do you suggest we should buy...Devi Bhagavatam or Devi Puran.
[/QUOTE]
Both of them are good, but content wise I found DP better, DB has many other stories too, so that can be the 2nd buy. All the puranas from Geeta Press Gorakhpur are better, they have less spelling mistakes, The one with Sanskrit shlokas & the translations are better, as it contains some useful stotras too.๐Ÿ˜Š