Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: varaali

^^^^ Wow, don't I wish I had sponsors!!!!  No, nothing of that sort. Just that, I had to pick up my daughter from school, hence the break.

Devyani is also known as Devasena, but not by any other name. And Indra sending his daughter to seduce Shukracharya is a new one to me. DIdn't he usually employ his apsaras- Rambha, Menaka, et all for such jobs? Where's the source for this story anyway?

Nowhere - I only recall reading it here on I-F - Indra sending a daughter Jayanti to wait on Shukracharya.  But I too don't recall ever reading about it in any book, which is why I asked.

I knew that Indra had a son Jayanta, who was captured by Surapadman & family and made a prisoner, and who, in the Ramayan, once tormented Sita in the guise of a crow, and who Rama punished by making him squint eyed.  But I never knew that Indra-Sachi had any daughters.  If they did, surely Nahusha might have gone after her, instead of going after Sachi?
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
 Indra sending his daughter to seduce Shukracharya is a new one to me. DIdn't he usually employ his apsaras- Rambha, Menaka, et all for such jobs? Where's the source for this story anyway?

[/QUOTE]
http://archive.suite101.com/article.cfm/mythology_from_india/87234

This & some more sites have the same story. It is posted on pg 21 of this thread too.
Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
thanks for the lovely explanation of Kartikeya...
i was just curious two qeustions infact..
1)is Ganapati married?who exactly are ridhi and sidhi?
2)why as compared to Ganapati,Kartikeya isnt worshiped that much?
Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: .Vrish.

Break ke baad?  You're making this like TV - who are your sponsors? 😆 (Incidentally, still waiting for the sequel to Jaimineya MB 😆)

Was Devayani the same as Jayanti - the daughter who Indra had sent to seduce Shukracharya?  Or did he & Sachi have multiple daughters?

No, the Devayani (or Deivanai) varaali wrote about is a South Indian goddess, believed to be Indra's daughter married to Murugan/Kartikeya. The Jayanti story is a separate one.

This content was originally posted by: .Vrish.

Nowhere - I only recall reading it here on I-F - Indra sending a daughter Jayanti to wait on Shukracharya.  But I too don't recall ever reading about it in any book, which is why I asked.

I believe it is mentioned in the Matysa Puran.
Edited by Kal El - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: shruti.nil

thanks for the lovely explanation of Kartikeya...

2)   why as compared to Ganapati,Kartikeya isnt worshiped that much?

Oh, if you cross the Vindhyas and enter the Tamil heartland, Kartikeya enjoys a status equal to Shiva / Devi / Vishnu. He is the patron god of Tamil language itself, and he is worshiped as second to none. There are huge, ancient temples in his honour, be it on mountain tops or by the sea shore. Poets and saints have sung his praise and  observing  fasts and vrats to please him is common. 
Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I'm not Tamil, but I thought that the patron god of the Tamil language was Shiva, and that he imparted the language, and all its grammatical rules and everything to Sage Agastya.  At least that's what I recall reading in Aranya Kand.
vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Lord KArthikeya is called as Thagapan swami -guru to his own father or God father ,Kumara -ever young,Murugan-Ever beautiful, Gyanapanditha-Scholar in wisdom, Kanta- he or masculine form , in Tamil Language .

Each have specific reason...

Since Lord Skanda is called be originated from Lord Shiv's Third eye (wisdom eye)  he is believed to be Gyanaavator of lord Shiv himself .

During Shiv parvati's wedding landmasses in the south side damaged and misplaced . So to maintain the balance Lord shiv requested sage Agastya to march towards  south and flourish the land with development of its language and rituals..so he evaluated and remodeled  a strong grammatical base for that language..Thats right!

Lord Skanda is called as God Father because  he himself aware of the  meaning of  holy Hindu syllable Om.
 Once lord Brahma, the creator of the Universe, out of egotism, failed to show due respect to Lord Skanta, who was then a little boy. Skanta cornered Lord Brahma to expound the meaning of Om to him and the later could not do it. Skanta imprisoned him citing his incompetence.

Lord Shiva who came to the rescue of Brahma, questioned his little son's authority to imprison the God of creation; he wondered whether Skanta knew anything about Om. Skanta, the little master was bold enough to tease his father that if Lord Shiva too didn't know the meaning of Om, he could very well learn from him, provided he came to him very politely, like an earnest student who wants to learn from his master.

Lord Shiva agreed at once. Like an obedient student, he sat low in front of his son, with one hand close to his chest and the other hand closing his mouth (this is a traditional way of showing respect to Guru and Saints). Skanta then expounded the secret behind Om secretly in the ears of Lord Shiva.

Since Skanta thus became a saint who taught to the very lord of the universe, he was called Swaminathan. In Tamil, he is hailed as "Thagappan Sami" - one who became a Guru to his own father.

So that Tamils believed him to be supreme of all gods due to this incident .  

Since Lord Skanta settled himself in Tamilnadu after the controversial fight over the  wisdom fruit with his brother ,he relocate himself ,by addressing,  "My People My abode  " (this touched Tamils very deeply ) over Mount Palani.

Lord Skanta Features mystically relates with Tamil language...

Skanta having 6 heads =Language Tamil having classical sounds or nasals letters 6  in number.

Skanta having 12 Hands = Tamil Language having Soul letters or vowels 12 .

having in total 6 heads + 12 hands  = 18

where in Tamil language Body letters or consonants are 18 etc .

He is called as "Yentra tantra mantra" personality by Tamil siddars are sages .This Mystically related to the meaning that, god who dwells in sounds and he who is the gate way for attaining Gyana .

So commonly they said ,sounds of Tamil language is the form of Lord Skanta ...So the famous divine poet as well as  sages like Arunagirinather , Nakirar  works having strong sound based songs equal to sanskrit mantras.

According to the Tamil sangam records  orderly Lord shiv , Lord Skanta , sage Agastya , Lastly poet Nakkirar are Head of the 3 well known Tamil Sangams.

Tamil Sangam : There are Three sangams(assembly of learned persons ) held in tamil land, where two of it is held in the drowned surface or said to be continent called Kumari kandam (Lemuria of indian ocean )

First Sangam: Founder and Head is Lord shiv (he is called Iraiyanaar).in South madurai..belongs to that Mystic Continent .But according to their records  the city is said to  drowned due to a great tsunami.

Middle or Idai Sangam: The pandiyan kings relocate the sangam to Kapadapuram (the remaining land of SouthMadurai),where Lord Skanta Presented himself as head of that Sangam.Later Sage Agastya too succeeded after him .The Famous Tholkapiyam belongs to this period .But this sangam and city too came to end after a Tsunami.

Third or Kadai Sangam : This is the Last Sangam held in North Madurai (Present city far away from sea shores).

Hence Lord Skanta is not different from Lord shiv but a younger version of him

So he himself  volunteered for the Development  of  this language is the reason behind the Words" Patron god of Tamil Language ".

you can refer about sangams here since they are experimental theories they never mentions about Gods...

t Virisadaik Kadavul".    

http://www.articlesbase.com/culture-articles/what-and-where-was-the-mythical-kumari-kandam-4642866.html 

Edited by vanadhi - 12 years ago
mnx12 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: -MeNe-

What is Rudra Tandava?
Is that the same dance that is being performed when Sati dreams of Shiva? 

when Shivji gets angry in that state,Tandav is called Rudra Tandav, which may result in end of the universe. Anand Tandav is when he is happy. What Sati dreams is the Ardhnarishwar form of Shivji,a dance performed in his happy state.
mnx12 thumbnail
Thank you for the explanation. And what about the time when he is dancing to take the human form? Are some of these dance forms taught as part of classical bharatanatyam?[/QUOTE]
Are you talking about his Tandav when he sees Sati's blood soaked Rudraks? That can be the Rudra Tandava.
Hope this helps
Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago