Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
I too am pretty surprised to find out that Kama fired 5 arrows @ Shiva.  I thought that he fired just one arrow @ him, and that that was enough to raise Shiva's ire.

Shiva took a considerable amount of effort to recover from that.
romi21 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
No Vanadhi ...what you have posted is true infact from what i know it's more informative...but be careful it's very delicate topic which will not be acceptable by other community
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: romi21

No Vanadhi ...what you have posted is true infact from what i know it's more informative...but be careful it's very delicate topic which will not be acceptable by other community

hi romi  😳can u plz pm me the link 👍🏼
nishkala thumbnail
Originally posted by: Aasthahere

I wanted to know did Lord Ganesh have any children??

and well I heard it sumwhere about the story in which Karthikeya and Ganesh had to take rounds of the earth...for marriage...Ganesh won ...and Karthikeya gave a sharaap ...is it true?? What was the sraap??And did Karthikeya marry after that or remained as a bachelor?

plz clear my confusion
thanx in advance😃

In many traditions, Murugan(Kartikeya) is seen as a bachelor. Many of the major events in Murugan's life take place during his youth, and legends surrounding his birth are popular. This has encouraged the worship of Murugan as a child-God, very similar to the worship of the child Krishna in north India. Other traditions have him married to two wives, Valli and Deivayanai.

After the fight Kartikeya  was very angry and came down to Tiru Avinankudi(Foot of the Sivagiri hills),His father Shiva came to pacify him and told him that he himself was the fruit😆(Since Kartikeya lost a fruit to Ganesha) of all wisdom and knowledge.Hence the place came to be known as Pazhani(Pazham nee in Tamil means you are the fruit).
Pazhani Malai or hill  has Muruga in the bachelor form and he is called as Dandayudhapani
Swami.

Varaali has already given the story ,you may refer that one .

Edited by nishkala - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Nishkala,

I had indeed writen about this  incident here
nishkala thumbnail
Originally posted by: varaali

Nishkala,

I had indeed writen about this  incident here

Oh dear...I missed it,extremely sorry,😊I will edit my post and ask the person who has put up the query to read your post,I will read it too.Thank you
varaali thumbnail
Originally posted by: Aasthahere

and well I heard it sumwhere about the story in which Karthikeya and Ganesh had to take rounds of the earth...for marriage...Ganesh won ...and Karthikeya gave a sharaap ...is it true?? What was the sraap??And did Karthikeya marry after that or remained as a bachelor?

plz clear my confusion
thanx in advance😃

Since this question keeps coming up, I think I will just give a short bio-pic of Kartikeya a.k.a Muruga a.k.a Subrahmanian (as per South Indian, specifically Tamil versions)

Kartikeya was born as the second son of Shiva-Parvati, in response to the Devas' prayers for releif against the tyranny of three asura brothers- Tarakasura, Simhamukha and Surapadman.

Once when Ganesh and Kartikeya were children, Rishi Narada came to Kailash with a divine mango as an offering to Shiva. On seeing the mango, both the children wanted to eat it. Lord Shiva decided to hold a contest- of circling around the world in shortest possible time.

What followed is well known- While all that Kartikeya had to do was mount his peacock and soar away int to he sky, Ganesha could only look on forlornly at his mouse. Until a brainwave struck him.

He went to the place where both his parents were sitting and went around them thrice, claiming that they represented not just the world, but the entire universe, the brahmaand  to him and circling them was enough for him. 

Shiva and Paravti fell for Ganesha's explanation- hook , line and sinker. When Kartikeya swooped down on his peacock, seconds later, expecting a triumphant welcome, all that he got to see was Ganesha cozily sandwiched between his parents, heartily eating the mango.

Lengend has it that an angry Kartikeya left Kailash in a huff and stormed his way up a hill called Pazhani  and remained there until Parvati cajoled him and promised to make him a sweet dish comprising of not only mangoes but other fruits , honey and jaggery as well.

Kartikeya's marriages

Kartikeya later on went on a military expedition to annihilate Surapadman and his brothers. He vanquished them and released the devas, among them Indra's son- Jayanta. A grateful Indra offered his daughter Devasena / Devayani in marriage to Kartikeya - a proposal which Shiva and Parvati happily accepted. 

Kartikeya's second marraige was not so straight forward. (Have  love marraiges ever been free from problems?) 

In the dense forests of the south, there inhabited a hunting / gathering tribe whose chief was Nambiraja. He adored his youngest child - a daughter named Valli- who he had found as an abandoned baby. Thinking her to be Lakshmi's gift he brought her up with utmost care and affection. And when she reached womanhood, he began scouting for suitable lads in his community. While offers came a plenty, there rose an unexpected hurdle- Valli announced that she would marry none other than Murugan Himself. 

Nambiraja waited for this childish idea to pass, but Valli seemed to strengthen her resolve. While gathering honey or protecting their maize and barley crops from birds, she would sings songs calling out to her beloved Murugan. Her call and yearning touched Katikeya's heart and he descended to Earth.

Aage ki kahani ...break ke baad...

Edited by varaali - 11 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Break ke baad?  You're making this like TV - who are your sponsors? 😆 (Incidentally, still waiting for the sequel to Jaimineya MB 😆)

Was Devayani the same as Jayanti - the daughter who Indra had sent to seduce Shukracharya?  Or did he & Sachi have multiple daughters?
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
^^^^ Wow, don't I wish I had sponsors!!!!  No, nothing of that sort. Just that, I had to pick up my daughter from school, hence the break.

Devyani is also known as Devasena, but not by any other name. And Indra sending his daughter to seduce Shukracharya is a new one to me. DIdn't he usually employ his apsaras- Rambha, Menaka, et all for such jobs? Where's the source for this story anyway?

varaali thumbnail
To continue with Valli and Murugan...

Kartikeya, to test Valli's love appears before her in the form of an old man. Valli is the fields, shooing away birds. The old man says he has been travelling for a long while and is very hungry and thirsty.
Valli takes pity on him and offers him some food. She then takes him  near the well, where she draws water for him to drink. While she is pouring water into his cupped hands, he suddenly grabs her wrist and ask her to marry him. Valli laughs at him and pointing to the water in the well, asks him to take a look at himself. A wrinkled face, toothless mouth, trembling hands and shaking legs, how could he even harbour thoughts of marriage.

The old man claimed that he was very rich and should she marry him, she would be the queen of his estates. Valli proudly replies that she had decided to marry none other than Murugan himself. 
Just then Valli's brothers appear there wondering who had she been talking to, since they heard a male voice as well. Murugan quickly transforms himself into a tree and waited. But the bothers don't show any signs of moving away from there Karthikeya despairs whether he would be able to even talk to Valli again. Just then he remembers he had not sought his elder bother, Ganesh's blessings before starting out. He mentally prays  to his brother and lo behold, there Ganesh appears in the form of a huge elephant. Valli's brothers began running, shooing away the elephant. Valli heaves  a sigh of relief, when the old man appears again from no where and begins to pester her. 

Valli tries  to run away from there  but finds the huge elephant blocking her way. On one side the old man, on the other the elephant. Oh, what could she do ? What could she do? 

Only one thing- pray to the God whom she considered her beloved. She closes her eyes and requests her Lord to come to her rescue. And when she tentatively open them again, instead of the old man , stood the handsome peacock mounted Skanda.

A thrilled Valli rushes to him and fall as at his feet.   

Edited by varaali - 11 years ago