Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

romi21 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Actually before the universe was created... there was only one great energy & that was Om ...& from then on Came Shiv, Vishnu, Brahma & Shakti & then Shristi was born. And yes Vishnu , Brahma do not have a timeline they are not demigods that shall have this much lifetime Like Shiv- Shakti they are eternal too.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Vanadhi's post

sorry guys i know u never welcome this topic , but have long curiosity why vaisnavates and saivates always bet to calculate one another 's superior gods age or birth...

by creating lot of stories for that...SB is just nearly 5000 yrs old but veda define another line...so we need some one to take a position of guru and teach us what exactly the vedas said about Lord shiv and vishnu...

And how old vedas are...is it repeatedly written from time to time after every yuga ...are constant at all ages of world cycles.

Because i heard (just heard😆 sorry if it was wrong) in Rig veda they much talk about Lord surya and Indra first...And those words are mixed one with other language too...so any vedist are welcomed to explain...

Vanadhi,

To answer your question very briefly -

The stories of Shiva / Vishnu / Devi that we are familiar with can be found in the various Puranas, that certainly came into existence only during the later  Vedic Period.

The  Vedas (esp Rig Veda)  mainly contain hymns in praise of Indra, Varuna, Agni and Surya - predominantly. The 10th Mandala of Rig Veda entirely consists of hymns to the sacred fire. 

In the Yajur Veda- specifically Shukla Yajur, we do find references to Shiva.  The famous Rudram-Chamakam (a kind of name-chant often recited when  abhishek  is done to Shiva) is a part of the Shukla Yajur Veda.

Sama Veda, since it deals mainly with the conduct of yagnas , has  hymns addressed to mainly  Agni  and Indra . 

Of course, we can always find scattered references to Shiva / Vishnu / brahma in the Vedas - but I don't know if that's what you are looking for.

As for your other doubt about Shaivites - Vs- Vaishnavites, I think we are all mature enough  to realize the futility of such debates.

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
ya Thank you Varaali from your brief statement i can understand the basic line of vedas...our famous deities are seen through puranas only...thanks for the clarifications...

ya iam looking for that only whether  there is any detailed description about trimurthi in vedas...

thank you... 
vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: romi21

Actually before the universe was created... there was only one great energy & that was Om ...& from then on Came Shiv, Vishnu, Brahma & Shakti & then Shristi was born. And yes Vishnu , Brahma do not have a timeline they are not demigods that shall have this much lifetime Like Shiv- Shakti they are eternal too.

ya every body accept that ...😛for that sake only 

people now worshiping two famous forms of shiva  called as ShankaraNarayan  and Arthanariswer...right...
romi21 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I do not believe in me being Shaivates or Vaishnavates . B'coz i love both of them (shiv & Vishnu) . I only Know that im just a Bhakt of Gods... & really one message i would like to convey to our ancestors. What did they benefit by waging a war of being a Shaivates or Vaishnavates.
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
In the original story, when Brahma did ask Daksha to give Sati in marriage to Shiva, did Daksha actually object?  I don't recall reading that, although when Sati & Daksha had their final confrontation in Daksha's yagna, he told her that the only reason he agreed to give Sati to Shiva was due to Brahma's insistence.
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Daksh did object in the original story. That's why he arranged her swayamvar where he invited all Devas, Rishis, Asuras but Shivji.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Vrish,

I am not sure what is considered to be the original story, but as far as I remember, Daksha did oppose Sati marrying Shiva , the prime reason being Daksha was repulsed by Shiva's appearance, his hordes and the fact that Shiva was fond of visiting cremation grounds. Daksha placed a lot of importance on good looks (which is why he was initially charmed by Chandra) and on wisdom / learning. And, since according to Daksha, Shiva possessed neither, he (Shiva) was not fit to be Daksha's son -in-law. Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Has anyone read the Shivleelamrut in Marathi? If yes then is anything mentioned in it about the story shown in DkDM?
akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
In chapter 4.2 of Bhagavat Puran, Daksha is quoted as saying "I had no desire to give my daughter to this person ... On the request of Lord Brahma I handed over my chaste daughter to him"

This means initially Daksha was against Sati's marriage to Lord Shiva but finally agreed when Lord Brahma insisted.