Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
@lordshiv,
Parabrahm is eternal. Brahma, Vishnu, Shiv are different aspects of Parabrahm.

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Answers inline

Originally posted by: lordshiv

First of all, Im not that familiar with Hindu mythology, so pardon my ignorance & some of my questions. BTW, this show has now become my favorite show ever broadcast on any Indian channel ever. Those of us who watch it regularly know what I mean. Its revolutionary. If only they would release it on DVD!

Here are my questions -

1. I know these Gods and figures are supposed to be ageless, but what are the approximate ages of Lord Shiva and Sati at the time of these events? At least Sati should have some age ascribed to her as she is human? Or am I wrong.

The trinity gods - Brahma, Vishnu & Shiva are ageless - there never was a time that any of them didn't exist

2. Is there any time period this is set in? I only ask because research shows that the Ramayana and Mahabharata can be placed between some years BC, not sure which, but is there any historical veracity to the Shiva tale at all, or are these just 'fairy tales'?

Depending on whether one is a Hindu  or not, one can believe whether or not they exist.  The Ramayan & Mahabharata are historical, and date back by the number of years calculated in the Treta & Dwapar Yugas.  In Dr RC Majumdar's history series volume 1, the Vedic age, he uses the events in the epics to reconstruct what happened during the period, discounting of course the supernatural events described in those.

3. Is there any historical proof or evidence of Lord Shiva or Sati's existence?

Again, like I mentioned above, depends on one's beliefs.  Same for the next question of yours below.

4. Some of the later happenings in the story seem too fantastic to be true - her body falling in 51 places in India, her fathers head being replaced by a goat's etc. 

5. If Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are the holy trinity, so to speak, what was there before they existed? 

There actually was no beginning of any of them.  Lakshmi married Vishnu in the Satya Yuga (during the Samudra Manthan) and Shiva's marriages to both Sati & Parvati happened in the same yuga.

Any answers would be appreciated!

You're welcome
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: deboleena.manna

no dear Ganesha is elder then Kartikya...Devi Parvati made Ganesha first...Kartikya born after that n Ganesha teach Kartikya how to fight...n win the fight..there is also a story that when Shiv ji n Maa Parvati think about Ganesha's marriage Kartikya told them that first he want to marry...but Shiv ji n Maa Parvati told him that it can't b possible bcoz he is younger then Ganesha...but he told them that he will leave...then they told him who will so parikrama of the earth 7 times n came back first will marry first..then Kartikya went for parikrama..but Ganesha did parikrama of Shiv n Parvati..bcoz in the Sastra perents r similar to the whole world for children...so Shiv ji n maa Parvati declaire Ganesha win n done the Marriage..when Kartikaya came back he saw that Ganesha marriage first...so he was upset with this n leave Kailash...

With the story about whos marriage to do first, it doesn't say or prove who is elder, just whose marriage happened first...
lordshiv thumbnail
Thanks for these answers...

My next question is about Sati... in the show it is implied that she is of human form entirely (made of the elements) which is an obstacle to her union with Shiva.

However, her father is a son of Brahma (making him God-like) and her mother is human? Please correct me if I am wrong. Wouldnt this make her at least part-divine?

Also, if she is indeed human, there should be some sort of historical evidence for her existence, unless of course I am completely misreading history here...

mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

^^^Sati's father Daksh was Brhma's son, a human was given special powers, to run the system, he wasn't God-like.

Divinity comes by birth or it is achieved with penance. Sati has to realise her divinity by overcoming her self (me). There are many examples of God's doing penance in Mythology.
At Kankhal there is Daksh prajapati temple, where Daksh's yagya took place, where Sati's left her body. Besides that 51 Shakti peethas are the biggest evidence of her existance, for the believers.
Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: mnx12

Shiva Nataraja: The Cosmic Dancer

http://www.indian-heritage.org/articles/sp1.html
Shiva as Nataraja is the cosmic dancer. He is the master and source of all the dance forms. He is also the source of all art forms ' dance, music, drama, etc' Shiva as Nataraja taught all the art forms to Bharata muni, .

Most of the Shiva temples in south India have a separate shrine for Nataraja inside their temple premises. The temple of Chidambaram has Lord Nataraja as the main deity instead of the usual Shiva lingam.

Shiva is considered to have started all the one hundred and eight tandavas. These are presented as one hundred and eight Karanas. These are present in some of the temples including the Brihadeeswara temple of Tanjore and the gopurams of the Nataraja temple of Chidambaram. In the temple cars, the most common and most popular presentations are the Ananda Tandava, Rudra Tandava, Urdhava Tandava and Chatura Tandava

Apart from the universal representation of Shiva in the abstract form of the Lingam, there are two more depictions of Shiva in the human form- One - Nataraja, as described above and two as Dakshinamoorthi- the embodiment of Supreme knowledge. 

DAkshinamoorthi is depicted as  a divine sage sitting under the banyan / peepul tree, facing south (hence his name- dakshina moorthi), his fingers in the chinmudra  and imparting   knowledge to the four youthful rishis-Sanaka, Sanandana , Sanatkumara  Santana. 

After Sati had immolated herself and her body cut asunder, Shiva discarded all the feelings, emotions and  thoughts and sat down facing south (considered as the direction of Yama) - the direction in which his beloved Sati had gone.

He transformed himself from a grihasta  to a  Sanyasin - whose only identity was His Advaitic Knowldege. 

In the temples in South, it is common to have a shrine for Dakshinamoorthi in all Shiva temples, where he is not  accompanied by a consort.

mnx12 thumbnail
Varaali,
Is he always placed south facing as Dakshinamurty? A seperate Parvati idol is not placed? In Mumbai & Gujarat,  here we have Shivji temples with his idol along with a Shivling & behind that Parvati's idol is placed. 
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: mnx12

Varaali,

Is he always placed south facing as Dakshinamurty? A seperate Parvati idol is not placed? In Mumbai & Gujarat,  here we have Shivji temples with his idol along with a Shivling & behind that Parvati's idol is placed. 

The image of  Dakshinamoorthi is separate and in addition to the main shrine for Shiva (where he is on the form of the Lingam). Parvati has a separate shrine to herself and this shrine is to the left of the main Shiva shrine.  Dakshinamoorthi is featured on the outside of one of the walls of the main Shiva shrine  where he can face south.There is no Parvati accompanying Dakshinamoorthi (Since he is supposed to have become a sanyasi...)

This image merits its own worship especially on Thursdays. Devotees doing parikrama of the main shrine pause for a minute in front of Dakshinamoorthi especially if the are students and parents hasten to fold their children's hands in front of this god asking them to recite "Om namah Pranavarthaya Shuddha gyanaika Moorthaye
Nirmalaya Prashantaya Dakshinamoorthaye Namah"

Another point : In the grand old temples of South, Shiva and Parvati have their own names- usually associated with the local legends. For instance in the Tanjore temple you quoted in your post, Shiva is known by the name Brihadeeshwar  (Lord of the Universe) while Parvati is Brihannayaki (Empress of the Universe). In Chidambaram (also quoted in your post) Shiva is Nataraja of course, while his wife is- not just Parvati- but Shivakama sundari. Is there a similar tradition in North?

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
mnx12 thumbnail

This is followed in big temples. In other temples Shivji may have different names like Omkareshwar, Babulnath, but his Shakti is Parvati only. In all the Shakti peethas, Shivji's name is according to the the form of the Goddess. eg. in Tripura, Tripurasundari- Tripuresh, in Kamakhya, Kamakhya- Umanand (Umanath), in Baidnath, Jayadurga- Vaidyanath.

vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
hey frds whats ur opinion over this i have something crispy to taste or to bash😆

The Appearance of Lord Siva

Complexity: 
 Medium

from Srimad-Bhagavatam,

The pastime of Lord Siva's appearance is described inSrimad-Bhagavatam, 3.12.7–13. Lord Brahma, the engineer of the universe, had asked four of his sons, celibate sages known as the Kumaras, to populate the worlds. When they refused, on the grounds that they wished to use their time purely for spiritual pursuits, Brahma became angry. Here's what happened then:

"Although Brahma tried to curb his anger, it came out from between his eyebrows, and a child of mixed blue and red was immediately generated. (7)
"After his [Siva's] birth, he began to cry: O destiny maker [Brahma], teacher of the universe, kindly designate my name and place. (8)
"The all-powerful Brahma, born from the lotus flower, pacified the boy with gentle words, accepting his request, and said: Do not cry. I shall certainly do as you desire. (9)
"Thereafter, Brahma said: O chief of the demigods, you shall be called by the name Rudra by all people because you have anxiously cried. (10)
"My dear boy, I have already selected the following places for your residence: the heart, the senses, the air of life, the sky, the air, the fire, the water, the earth, the sun, the moon, and austerity. (11)
"My dear Rudra, you have eleven other names: Manyu, Manu, Mahinasa, Mahan, Siva, Ritadhvaja, Ugrareta, Bhava, Kala, Vamadeva, and Dhritavrata. (12)
"O Rudra, you also have eleven wives, called the Rudranis, and they are as follows: Dhi, Dhriti, Rasala, Uma, Niyut, Sarpi, Ila, Ambika, Iravati, Svadha, and Diksha." (13)
Siva and Parvati, as his wife is also known, have their abode in Siva-loka, between the material and spiritual worlds (see Brahma-samhita 5.43). This description is of how Siva appeared in the material world. 

sorry guys i know u never welcome this topic , but have long curiosity why vaisnavates and saivates always bet to calculate one another 's superior gods age or birth...

by creating lot of stories for that...SB is just nearly 5000 yrs old but veda define another line...so we need some one to take a position of guru and teach us what exactly the vedas said about Lord shiv and vishnu...

And how old vedas are...is it repeatedly written from time to time after every yuga ...are constant at all ages of world cycles.

Because i heard (just heard😆 sorry if it was wrong) in Rig veda they much talk about Lord surya and Indra first...And those words are mixed one with other language too...so any vedist are welcomed to explain...