Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: mnx12

her husband became invisible

That is a typo. The word should be 'invincible'.

As I mentioned in the other thread, that story of Jalandhara and Vrinda is described in the Padma Purana.

There are other versions of this legend. In some versions there was a quarrel between Vishnu's 3 wives (Lakshmi, Saraswati and Ganga) and Saraswati cursed Lakshmi to be born on Earth as a (Tulsi) plant.

The Brahma Vaivarta Purana presents a similar account where the demon is named Sankhachuda. At the end of the story (when she curses Vishnu) she is blessed by Vishnu so that her body would become the Gandaki river and her hair, the sacred Tulsi plant. He tells her to leave her mortal form and accompany him to Vaikuntha as one of his wives. Later, after a quarrel with Saraswati (who was jealous of Vishnu's adoration for this new wife), Tulsi became angry and disappeared. Vishnu went to the forest of Tulsi plants and worshipped her. Here the text provides details on Tulsi puja.

The Devi Bhagavatam provides yet another account where Lakshmi is born as daughters to brothers Dharmadhvaja and Kusadhvaja, descendants of Vrsadhwaja (who was sort of a Shaiva version of Daksha: he worshipped Shiva alone and forbade the worship of anyone else and this got him cursed by Surya). To Kusadhvaja, Lakshmi was born as Vedavati who was herself later reborn as Sita. To Dharmadhvaja was born Tulasi. She did penance for thousands of years to get Vishnu as her husband. She also knew that she was originally a gopi in Goloka and was cursed by Radha to be born as a human. Eventually she was married to Sankhachuda who was Shridama born as a danava also due to a curse by Radha in Goloka. The rest of the story follows as above, with Sankhachuda being finally slain by Shiva and going back to Goloka as Shridama and Tulsi leaves her mortal body and goes to Vaikuntha with Vishnu.
Edited by Kal El - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Kal El

In the Radha context, the reference should be to Shridama, not Sudama.  Sudama - Krishna's Sudama - had nothing to do w/ Radha, one way or another.

The Padma Puran had Saraswati as Vishnu's wife?  I always thought she was Brahma's consort, although the scriptures conflict on whether she was Brahma's wife or daughter.  The act of Shiva severing one of Brahma's heads was, as per one account, a result of Brahma casting amorous glances @ Saraswati, which would be okay if she was his wife, but since Brahma created her, Shiva is said to have regarded her as Brahma's daughter, which is why he punished Brahma in that way.
Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Kal El

In the Radha context, the reference should be to Shridama, not Sudama.  [/quote]

Whoops! That's right. Don't know why typed Sudama. Thanks. I corrected my post. 😊

No, that's in the other 2 texts I mentioned: Devi Bhagavatam and Brahma Vaivarta Purana. It is said that after the quarrel between the three wives, Vishnu gave away Saraswati and Ganga to Brahma and Shiva respectively.
Edited by Kal El - 12 years ago

Vr15h thumbnail
But Ganga never married Shiva - she's thought of as a symbolic daughter of Shiva.  In fact, she married nobody, and in the Mahabharata, it was her human incarnation that married Shantanu, right?
Vr15h thumbnail
Question - on Tuesday night, on Gyan Guru, one of the questions was 'how many forms of Shiva are invoked in the chant "Om Namah Shivaiya"' and the answer given was 5.  Can someone explain what are the 5 - I didn't follow the guy's explanation.

(So far, that forum has not yet opened, last I checked)
watermist thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Sati and Parvati are the same Shakti Power but in two different forms and two different personalities. Sati was a powerful women that had the utmost devotion towards her Husband Lord Shiva. She was also someone that asked questions and stood up to injustice in that time period. But my mother says that Sati was too inquisitive, and that's what led to her demise as Bholenath never took any offence that he was not invited but Sati did.She went to her Father's place anyway again thinking independently on her own to do her own thing. Parvati on the other hand was a much more softer, quality of a Lady. First of all her Father Himalaya had no problems with Lords Shiva being Parvati's husband. So there was never any dilema regarding to that. Parvati just had to please Lord Shiva to attain Him as her Lord. And She Did that. So her time with her Husband was much more peaceful and fulfilling with children.

these are just some things my mother discussed with me. Please don't bash any one or any thing in this forum.

Jai Bhole!
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Originally posted by: Kal El

That is a typo. The word should be 'invincible'.

Corrected, thanks😊
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Question - on Tuesday night, on Gyan Guru, one of the questions was 'how many forms of Shiva are invoked in the chant "Om Namah Shivaiya"' and the answer given was 5.  Can someone explain what are the 5 - I didn't follow the guy's explanation.

(So far, that forum has not yet opened, last I checked)

PANCHVAKTRA

Shiva is called as Panchvaktra because he possesses five faces. The five faces of Shiva are ' Sadyojata, Vamdeva, Tatpurusha, Aghora and Ishan. Vedas describe it in details.
According to Puranas Lord Shankar expanded his five faces just to see Tilottama. In whichever direction she was dancingly wandering, Shiva emerged with a face there. Tilottama was created for the destruction of demons namely Sunda and Upasunda.
Moreover, Shiva is known as Panchvaktra because he utters Vedas with five methods namely Vidhi (rules), Mantra (incantation), Namdheya (pronunciation), Nishedha (regulations) and Arthavada (interpretation). In the spiritual science, Shiva is Panchvaktra because he is consuming five sense-objects by five sense-organs. The holes of the heart are also said to be five only. And Sadashiva alone is the creator of five sense-objects. Below is the explanation of Panchvaktra stated by Acharya Bhaskar'

Purport: O Lord Sarveshwar! You already have many five-faced forms namely Brahman, Tattwa, Sense-organs, Sense-objects, Kalaa, Bhoota, Sadakhya and Moorty, and all these are beginning-less. But again you created your five faces to look at the celestial damsel named Tilottama, who was created for the purpose of killing of Sunda demon. Her devotion for you was the only reason that you turned into Panchvaktra (five faced) though you are devoid of any face.
There are five Brahmans (Gods) namely Ishan etc. There are five Tattwas (factors) namely Purusha (controller), Prakriti (nature), Buddhi (intelligence), Ahankar (ego) and Mana (mind). Five knowledge acquiring sense-organs are' ears, skin, eyes, tongue and nostrils. Five working sense-organs are' speech, hands, legs, anus and genital. Five sense-objects are' sound, touch, form, taste and smell. Five objects of working sense-organs are' Vachan (words), Grihan (receiving), Gaman (walking), Visarga(evacuation) and Sukhopbhoga (pleasure-seeking). Five Kalaa are' Nivritti, Pratishtha, Vidya, Shanti and Shantyatita. Five gross material elements are' earth, water, fire, air and ether. Five Sadakhyas are the five famous scriptures viz. Shiv-Sadakhya, Moorta- Sadakhya, Amoorta- Sadakhya, Kartri- Sadakhya and Karma- Sadakhya. Five Moorty of Lord Shankar are' Brahma, Vishnu, Rudra, Mahadeva and Sadashiva. Shiva is known as Panchvaktra because he is manifested in the aforesaid forms. A captivating narration of these faces of the Lord is found in the 13th chapter of first section of Shiv-Rahasya. Omkar and Namah Shivaya is originated from Panchvaktra Mahadeva only.
Actually, through his five faces Lord Sadashiva is pointing towards Jiva (Living entity) also. Jiva is also five faced because he enjoys five sense-objects through his five sense-organs. Shiva made the Jiva equal to his own qualities. Avidya (ignorance) is the only cause of difference between Shiva and Jiva.
Often Shiva is said to be Panchvaktra, because he resides in the center of the heart. Sadyojata etc are mentioned as five holes of the heart. According to Shiva-Purana the order of Panch-Brahman is like this' Ishan, Tatpurusha, Aghora, Vamdeva, Sadyojata.
Jiva should realize his self as Shiva, this is the true sense of worship of Panchvaktra.

Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
I have a question why does shiv bhagwaan has long hair.. what does the hair represent? Why does he live in kailash?Is he still there.
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Why are gods nowdays invisible.. in ancient times it was not the case.