\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ - Page 23

Posted: 12 years ago
Is Vasuki the snake around Shiva's neck?  I thought he was the 1000 headed king of snakes, who Vishnu used in the Matsya avatar as a rope to tie the boat w/ the saptarshis to his horn so that he could take them to safety, and hand them the vedas.  Vishnu also used him during the samudra-manthan as a rope to churn the ocean using the mountain (I'm forgetting its name).  Interestingly enough, Vishnu used Vasuki instead of his own Sesha-nag for this purpose.

So it would seem to me that the snake Mahadev had/has around his neck is someone other than Vasuki.
Originally posted by mnx12

That stuti by Dadhichi  is "Rudrastaka"

Thank you so much mnx!! 👍🏼 You're a star!! ⭐️ ⭐️
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Is Vasuki the snake around Shiva's neck?  I thought he was the 1000 headed king of snakes, who Vishnu used in the Matsya avatar as a rope to tie the boat w/ the saptarshis to his horn so that he could take them to safety, and hand them the vedas.  Vishnu also used him during the samudra-manthan as a rope to churn the ocean using the mountain (I'm forgetting its name).  Interestingly enough, Vishnu used Vasuki instead of his own Sesha-nag for this purpose.

So it would seem to me that the snake Mahadev had/has around his neck is someone other than Vasuki.

Vasuki is described as the snake used to churn the ocean and is also said to be the snake coiled around Lord Shiva's neck. 

Vasuki also became the string the of the bow used by Shiva to destroy Tripura.

And Sesha did play a role in the Samudra Manthan: he uprooted Mandara, the mountain used as the churning rod.
Edited by Kal El - 12 years ago
Originally posted by mnx12

Story of Nandi

http://www.godandguru.com/shiv-puran/chapter-35.html 

There was a sage named Shilada. He once saw that his ancestors were being tortured in hell. When he tried to find out why this was so, he was told that htis was because Shilada did not yet have a son.

To obtain a son, Shilada began to pray to Shiva. He prayed for a thousand years. At the end of the tapasya, Shiva appeared and offered to grant Shilada a boon. Shilada wanted the boon that he might have a virtuous son.

A few days later, when Shilada was ploughing the land, he discovered a baby boy on the blade of theplough. The boy was as bright as the sun and the fire. Shilada was frightened and started to run away. But the boy called after him, Father, stop. Father, stop, A voice was then heard from the sky.

This voice told Shilada that this was the son he had wanted. Since this son would make everyone happy, he was to be named Nandi.

Shilada brought nandi home to his mermitage. He taught his son the Vedas, the arts of the medicine and fighting, dancing and singing and several other sacred texts. All this Nandi mastered within fifteen days.

When nandi was seven years old, two powerful sages arrived in Shilada's hermitage. Their names were Mitra and Varuna. Shilada worshipped them and presented Nandi before them. The sages blessed Nandi with the words, Be learned, be faithful to your teacher.

Shilada said, Sages, why didn't you bless my son with a long life?

We couldn't, replied the sages. Your son is going to die when he is eight years old. That is written in his stars.

Shilada was crestfallen to hear this, but Nandi consoled his father. He promised his father that he would do something so tha this fate would have to be rewritten. He would pray to Shiva. And when he met Shiva, he would ask of him a boon.

Meeting Shiva, exclaimed Shilada. I had to meditate for a thousand years before I could get to meet Shiva. How do you expect to meet Shiva in the one year tha tis left to you?'

Wait and see, father, replied Nandi. Shiva is difficult to meet if you only perform tapasya or thirst for knowledge. The secret lies in faith and devotion. I will manage.

There is a river named Bhuvana. Nandi entered this river and began underwater prayers to Shiva . His efforts pleased Shiva so much that Shiva appeared before him.

What boon do you want? asked Shiva.

Please grant me the boon that I may be devote to you, replied Nandi. I don't want to be born become old and die.

Shiva granted Nandi the boon tha the and his father would get to live in Shiva's residence in Shivaloka. Shiva's companions are known as ?ganas. Shiva made Nandi ganapati, the chief of the ganas and retained him as a perpetu ? companion. Shiva also gave Nandi a wonderful garland to wear.

As soon as he put this garland on, Nandi became resplendent with three eyes and ten hands.

Amazing .. you are simply great ..!!!thanks for this load of information ..

love ya for that !!!

Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!!!!!
Originally posted by .Vrish.

satyavarshini

No, Shukracharya didn't lose that power - it's just that the asuras lost their advantage.  Previously, only Shukracharya knew it, but nobody sympathetic to the devas did, which is why Kacha was sent.  After Kacha was restored to life and restored Shukracharya to life, both of them had that capability, but Devyani cursed him that he'd not be able to relieve anybody who was killed despite knowing this secret.  Kacha recognized this curse, but said that he'd still be able to teach it to others, who could use it.  But I haven't heard of whether Kacha actually taught that to anyone else so that the devasura wars could be tipped more neutrally.
@vrish -- it is really nice to be part of discussion with u all. it may not be from moola katha but

God's guru Brihaspati sent his son Kacha in disguise to Shukracharya. He knows that if Mritha Sanjivani is heard by 6 ears, it will loose its power. He advised his son to achieve this somehow.

unable to post link as i am newbie. haveultimatefun dot blogspot do com slash 2011/05/10-dasavatar-vamanavatar-devotional.html

- satya
Loving the serial and especially the music. Even though the story is a tragedy every scene is well founded. Can't wait to see more! Jai Bhole! Jai Mata! I can't say that about Shukryacharya ...( the actor they chose to portray him)...
Forms of Shiva
http://www.prabhubhakti.com/wiki/lord-shiva

Lord Shiva is known to have many forms, some of them are ' Aghora, Ishana, Tat Purusha, Vama Deva Nataraja and Rudra. These forms are believed to be present in the world in different places. The form of Aghora resides in places of cremation, Ishana in Shivalinga and Vama Deva in the meditation posture. 'Tat Purusha' is the eternal form and 'Rudra' is the angry form. The 'Nataraja' form of Shiva is the form he takes when he dances. His dance represents both creation and destruction. Through his Nataraja form, he appears before his devotees and also kills the asura of ignorance. His dance also creates energy which can give birth to new life.

Another form, Mahamrityunjaya, also refers to Lord Shiva. Through this form, he is believed to conquer death. The Mahamriyunjaya mantra is considered to be very powerful and sacred, that is why it is considered the most important after the Gayatri mantra.

Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
HI! I added the background music of yesterday's awesome epi (Jan 23) in the Audio thread
Want to learn more about Lord Shiva's fasts that are kept differently in different states throughout India.
There is 16 Somvar Vart that needs to be kept on 16 consecutive days then there is open Somvar vart that one can keep as per their wish (right?) and of course the most important one Shivratri. In different states ppl keep the fast differently. Some say that one should not eat any food except fruits/milk on the fasting day while the others say that non-salty food can be taken at sunset.
Is this also right that one needs not to fast if worship truly?
It would be good to see the responses here and how one worships Shiva in their state? Thanks.

Originally posted by bharat9

Want to learn more about Lord Shiva's fasts that are kept differently in different states throughout India.
There is 16 Somvar Vart that needs to be kept on 16 consecutive days then there is open Somvar vart that one can keep as per their wish (right?) and of course the most important one Shivratri. In different states ppl keep the fast differently. Some say that one should not eat any food except fruits/milk on the fasting day while the others say that non-salty food can be taken at sunset.
Is this also right that one needs not to fast if worship truly?
It would be good to see the responses here and how one worships Shiva in their state? Thanks.

In my family, different family members do it differently...
but yes I agree if you have faith in Shivji and pray to him, you do not need to fast- because if you dont believe and just do it because your family does it- then there is no point...
but sometimes you cant because of health problems, in that case your health comes first - there is a saying in gujarati- pehla dehh pachi dev (first comes your health then god-meaning fasts and all)

gujaratis usually eat fruits and potato products.
But on shivratri - my family does not eat or drink anything (drink if only you need to, and we take prasad)

There are also Pradosh Vrats too (on the 13th lunar day- so twice a month)...