Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: shruti.nil

im  confused..its regarding Chandra or Soma

in the show Revati is shown to be the daughter of Daksh and wife of Chandra-who married 27 of Dakshas daughters who are said to be the 27 nakshatras,
but however if i clearly remember Revati is supposed to be the wife of Balram Krishnas brother
can someone please clear my doubt

Its not the same Revati, same name, two different people!
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
ohhh...thanks for telling😊...i got a bit confused...
shali thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Q... so how authentic is the Madanika story... cause I never heard off it...

second Q... why does Shiva caries a chanderma in his hair...

thanks for answering...
TC...

PS I so enjoy this discussion...and may I thank each one for those interesting views... and links...been reading a lot...
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
@ Shali i havent heard of the story either😕
as far as i have searched on the net,the first thing i did once i read the article...
Madanika as a name means Aroused\Exited,they are also called Salabhanjika(source Wikipedia),she basically is a celestial nymph,like an apsara..
from what i found a Madanika is a sculpture,rather than being a person which adorns temples,representing a beautiful,full bodied dancer,who adorned the temples of both Vishnu and Shiva,they are situated in Karnataka.
But other than this i dont think there is any connection.
the amswer to your next question

Crescent Moon

Often depicted on Lord Shiva's head is a crescent moon, representing the cyclical nature of the universe. The waxing and waning of the moon symbolizes the cycle through which creation evolves. Furthermore, since Lord Shiva is the Eternal Reality, He is beyond time and the cycle of creation.

shali thumbnail
@Shruti...
thank you very much... me too, couldn't find more then sculpture...
thanks for the link...have read it and learned more...

bharat9 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Q: My knowledge on Shiv-Sati's story is very minimal. I am wondering if this serial is showing what exactly happened or not? Read on few other threads ppl mentioning that this serial is based on a book? Is this right?
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
the show is based on the works of a mythological writer names Devdutt Patnaik..and not Amish Tripathis novel the Secret of the Nagas..
there is some stuff altered,the situations,some scenes etc..but however the story isnt distorted that much!
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Originally posted by: shali

second Q... why does Shiva caries a chanderma in his hair...

http://devdutt.com/the-waxing-of-the-waning-employee/ 

Chandra, the moon-god, disobeyed his father-in-law, Daksha Prajapati. Daksha had given him 27 wives and told him that he should love all wives equally.  Chandra, however, preferred only one of them. An angry Daksha, therefore cursed Chandra, that he would suffer from the wasting disease. Each day, his luster would wane and eventually he would disappear forever.  As a result, the moon started to wane.  A terrified Chandra did not know what to do. Being a Deva, a sky-god, he turned to his king, Indra, and begged him for help.  "The only person you can turn to is Shiva," said Indra,  "because he is not a Deva.  He is a Maha-Deva, greater than all gods put together."

Chandra went to Shiva but Shiva was a silent god, with eyes shut, deep in meditation.  Chandra sat before him, trembling, afraid, desperate for help.  Shiva opened his eyes, looked at the miserable moon-god. Without speaking a word,  Shiva picked Chandra up and gently placed him on his forehead. Instantly, the moon began to wax once again.  Daksha had caused Chandra to degenerate; Shiva had helped him regenerate. Chandra realized why Indra had addressed Shiva as Maha-deva; he was not just god (spelt without capitals).  He was God (spelt in capitals). Chandra established the festival of Shiva-ratri each month, at the tail end of the waning half of the lunar month.  And once a year, he established the Maha-Shiva-ratri, to mark the end of the winter months and the waxing of the summer seasons.

Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
shali thumbnail
@Mnx...

thank you so much...
that is a bheatifull explanation...
bharat9 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: mnx12

http://devdutt.com/the-waxing-of-the-waning-employee/ 

Chandra, the moon-god, disobeyed his father-in-law, Daksha Prajapati. Daksha had given him 27 wives and told him that he should love all wives equally.  Chandra, however, preferred only one of them. An angry Daksha, therefore cursed Chandra, that he would suffer from the wasting disease. Each day, his luster would wane and eventually he would disappear forever.  As a result, the moon started to wane.  A terrified Chandra did not know what to do. Being a Deva, a sky-god, he turned to his king, Indra, and begged him for help.  "The only person you can turn to is Shiva," said Indra,  "because he is not a Deva.  He is a Maha-Deva, greater than all gods put together."

Chandra went to Shiva but Shiva was a silent god, with eyes shut, deep in meditation.  Chandra sat before him, trembling, afraid, desperate for help.  Shiva opened his eyes, looked at the miserable moon-god. Without speaking a word,  Shiva picked Chandra up and gently placed him on his forehead. Instantly, the moon began to wax once again.  Daksha had caused Chandra to degenerate; Shiva had helped him regenerate. Chandra realized why Indra had addressed Shiva as Maha-deva; he was not just god (spelt without capitals).  He was God (spelt in capitals). Chandra established the festival of Shiva-ratri each month, at the tail end of the waning half of the lunar month.  And once a year, he established the Maha-Shiva-ratri, to mark the end of the winter months and the waxing of the summer seasons.

thanks for the info!

exit questions: As per the story line, why are Chandrma's parents scared for Chandrma to send to Mahasabha? What is going to happen in the Mahasabha?