\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ - Page 3

Posted: 12 years ago
Mnx

Reading that link of yours, yeah, now I recall the Ketaki flowers as well.  The story didn't describe any battle b/w Brahma & Vishnu, but rather just a verbal argument & then this contest.  Nor did it describe Shiva as wanting to kill Brahma, just went directly to that curse.

Varaali

Yeah, the ACK in question describes the various statues in the Elephanta caves near Mumbai, and the stories behind each, including this one.

I too never knew that Daksha was a Vishnu worshipper.  Although Vishnu did try to protect him from Virbhadra after Sati's death, but in vain.
Ok I would like to consolidate whatever we know on all of Daksha's daughters- 

Sati  married to Shiva
Rati married to Kama
27 Nakshatras (Ashwini to Revati ) married to Chandra (Moon)
Diti/Aditi married to Sage Kashyapa

Anyone with more info? PLease pitch in
Add to that Garuda's mother - I forget her name 

Also, anyone know who Khyatti married?
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Mnx

Reading that link of yours, yeah, now I recall the Ketaki flowers as well.  The story didn't describe any battle b/w Brahma & Vishnu, but rather just a verbal argument & then this contest.  Nor did it describe Shiva as wanting to kill Brahma, just went directly to that curse.

Varaali

Yeah, the ACK in question describes the various statues in the Elephanta caves near Mumbai, and the stories behind each, including this one.

I too never knew that Daksha was a Vishnu worshipper.  Although Vishnu did try to protect him from Virbhadra after Sati's death, but in vain.
That link explains why Brhmaji is not worshipped, that's one of the reason Daksh was against him.
He was left with only Vishnuji to worship, Godess Parashakti he worshipped & got Sati as his daughter. He always used to perform Vishnu-Yagyas. He refused to give Yagya-bhaga to Lord Shiva to reduce his importance.

Also, anyone know who Khyatti married?
I checked SB today, it gives different names of Dakha's daughters. Khyati is not mentioned in either Devi purana or SB.

@Vrish:
The Vishnu Purana affirms that Khyati is the young and bright-eyed daughter of Daksha. She is the niece of Bhrigu, the Muni and later married him and had two sons and one daughter

Khyati gave birth to two sons, named Dhata and Vidhata. She bore the daughter name Shri or goddess Lakshmi. Lakshmi married Lord Vishnu. Khyati means celebrity. She is also the faculty of discriminating objects by appropriate designations; or the means of individual fruition.

http://www.indianetzone.com/34/khyati_daughter_daksha.htm

Also, I've seen a similar Vishnu murti in South India somewhere, can't remember the name, but the murti has a Shivling, right in the same place it was in the show. Just to think about it, if you have a murti of Brahma Dev and Shri Vishnu, why would you leave out Shivji from it being a Trimurti?

Vinata-  Oh She too was Daksha's daughter?. Which means Kadaru, her sister too was Daksha'sDaughter. Both of them too married Kashyapa 
sattvik

Thanks for the info on Khyatti.  So she is the real MIL of Vishnu.  I've seen 2 accounts of Lakshmi's parentage - in the samudra manthan, it was Varuna who presented her to Vishnu, which is why he is acknowledged as her father.  But I've seen accounts where Bhrigu is Lakshmi's father.  Any idea who Varuna's wife(s) was/were?

On your other point, Brahma is rarely worshipped, so if someone is exclusively worshipping Vishnu or Shiva, either is pretty legit.  I've never seen a puja involving worship of both Vishnu and Shiva, since in that case, a question would have come up of why leave Brahma out of it, which would invoke the above story.

Varaali

You're right - Vinati & Kadru (mother of the dog species) are the other daughters.  I think in the doubts & discussions in the Ramayan, in some context, this came up, and someone provided all the daughters of Daksha.

So aside from Rati, did any of Daksha's daughers marry devas or kshatriyas, as opposed to sages?
@Vrish - I have always thought Varun Dev's wife is/was Maa Varuni

Daughter - Married to
---------------------
Swadha - Angiras
Smriti - Angiras
Siddhi - Dharma
Buddhi - Dharma (Mother of Bodha)
Pushti - Dharma
Kakud - Dharma
Kriya -
Dharma
Lamba - Dharma
Maitri - Dharma
Sadhya - Dharma
Kirti - Dharma
Lajja
- Dharma (Mother of Vinaya)
Shraddha
- Dharma
Dhriti
- Dharma
Ansuya - Atri
Urjja - Vashisht
Diti - Kashyap (Mother of Daityas)
Aditi - Kashyap
(Mother of Adityas/Devta)
Khasa - Kashyap (Mother of Yaksha)
Kalaka - Kashyap
Tamra - Kashyap
Ida- Kashyap
Khyati - Bhrigu
Kshama - Pulaka
Prava - Kashyap
Sambhuti - Marichi
Rohini - Chandra Dev
Kashtha - Kashyap (
Mother of beasts with un-cloven hoofs)

Kadru (Mother of the Nagas)
Danu (Mother of Danavs)

Also says Bahuputra marries two daughters of Daksh Prajapati... Arishtanemi (another name for Kashyap) marries four daughters... :s

My source is the link above that I posted...

Plus you have the Nakshatras that married Chandra Dev...

Daksh had loads and loads of children!!
Who were Saptarishis & what was each one's speciality?
@ Roark/ Vinu, good to see you back😊Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago