Is Madhuri Dixit's COMEBACK confirmed?! - Page 4

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by kshreya2002

Edit add: Just checked...those who think Madhuri should only endorse foreign brands-Comfort Fabric softener endorsed by Madhuri is a Unilever brand. She also endorses an Olay product which is a foreign brand. These are just recent endorsements I can remember.

The ads that the big stars act in are a side-show for the big screen movies. They have a much larger and more far-reaching canvas to garner the public's attention. Ads just bring a pretty buck as well as reinforce their recall value when the next movie rolls along. I have no issue if Madhuri is in this ad scene for money, although I find it to stagger my belief given how well-off his husband is reputed to be. But then, I guess you can never be too rich. But, to say that she is acting in 30-seconds. petty-consumables ads to maintain her public persona and personal brand value is hard for me to fathom. Has Dilip Kumar's position in the public's collective memory been diminished even though he has been out of the arc lights for so long? Was Shammi Kapoor a forgotten person the day he died although he hadn't been in the public eye for ages? Suchitra Sen is the most famous Bengali actress in the history of Bengali cinema. She has kept herself in strict isolation from the general view for almost close to 3 decades. She still has a cult-like stature among bengalis which no one else has been able to diminish or tarnish. Does Madhuri really want to be remembered as the "kaamwali bai" in a dish-soap ad or as the glorious sweet-heart of India from HAHK or Beta or Saajan? For me personally, these random. tiniest of tiny ads adds nothing but rather devalues her scintillating legacy in Bollywood. But, I guess there are different strokes for different people.

Originally posted by VanityGirl

I'm not completely believing it. I think I should have added "If this is true" at the beginning. Now I did.

And I don't know about B-grade dishwashing bars. I was implying at the B-grade ads she's been doing.. like this one.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvqwFKQLs8o[/YOUTUBE]

The blue bit: Good!

About the video: Which ad is it? I cant see it. Can you tell me the brand and what the ad is about?
Btw you did say "B-grade dishwashing bars to dancing at bars!". Also let me know how do you define an ad to be A grade and B grade.

Edit add: Now got it...its the dishwash bar ad. I dont see anything B grade in it. Dressing up as a kamwali bai doesnt automatically mean its B grade just as Aamir Khan dressing up as a goonda in a Coca Cola ad doesnt automatically mean the ad is violent. The ad is supposed to be on a funny note and Madhuri has done a great job in creating humour. She looks ravishing in the typical Maharashtrian getup. And as an FYI this ad runs during top shows of major GECs like SP, Colors, Sony, Zee whose airtime dont come cheap by Indian standards.

Edited by kshreya2002 - 12 years ago
Originally posted by Relda

The ads that the big stars act in are a side-show for the big screen movies. They have a much larger and more far-reaching canvas to garner the public's attention. Ads just bring a pretty buck as well as reinforce their recall value when the next movie rolls along. I have no issue if Madhuri is in this ad scene for money, although I find it to stagger my belief given how well-off his husband is reputed to be. But then, I guess you can never be too rich. But, to say that she is acting in 30-seconds. petty-consumables ads to maintain her public persona and personal brand value is hard for me to fathom. Has Dilip Kumar's position in the public's collective memory been diminished even though he has been out of the arc lights for so long? Was Shammi Kapoor a forgotten person the day he died although he hadn't been in the public eye for ages? Suchitra Sen is the most famous Bengali actress in the history of Bengali cinema. She has kept herself in strict isolation from the general view for almost close to 3 decades. She still has a cult-like stature among bengalis which no one else has been able to diminish or tarnish. Does Madhuri really want to be remembered as the "kaamwali bai" in a dish-soap ad or as the glorious sweet-heart of India from HAHK or Beta or Saajan? For me personally, these random. tiniest of tiny ads adds nothing but rather devalues her scintillating legacy in Bollywood. But, I guess there are different strokes for different people.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges. The era of stars like Shammi Kapoor, Dilip Kumar and Suchitra Sen was different. They were active in the 60s when even television hadnt reached Indian homes. Who knows what turn their lives would have taken if they were stars in say 2000s. Those times were different when the avenues available to a movie star to remain in public eye was limited to making appearances in movies. By the time the TV era and internet era arrived they were too old to have an active public life. Comparing the decisions taken by Madhuri to stars forty years her senior is like comparing our lifestyles with those of our grand mothers. Many of our grandmas would have never used a computer in her life. That doesnt mean it will stop us from doing so. Times change and people change with time. Those who dont are left behind. No wonder then Dilip Kumar decided to connect to his fans at the age of 90 thru twitter.
For a mother with growing children it becomes tough to balance outdoor shoots with the lives of her children. Thats why actresses with a loyal fan following like Madhuri, Juhi, Kajol, Karisma have chosen television to stay in the public eye and also devote time to their kids. I see nothing wrong in that. In fact I would say more power to them!
Edited by kshreya2002 - 12 years ago

Talking of ads I found this interesting link of old ads:

Dilip Kumar also featured in one!

Shammi Kapoor endorsed Pan Parag whose ad sometimes still airs on TV.
Both Dilip Kumar and Shammi Kapoor moved to supporting roles in later stages of their lives.
Suchitra Sen is the only actress who has stayed away from any public appearances since she retired.
Originally posted by kshreya2002

The blue bit: Good!

About the video: Which ad is it? I cant see it. Can you tell me the brand and what the ad is about?
Btw you did say "B-grade dishwashing bars to dancing at bars!". Also let me know how do you define an ad to be A grade and B grade.

Edit add: Now got it...its the dishwash bar ad. I dont see anything B grade in it. Dressing up as a kamwali bai doesnt automatically mean its B grade just as Aamir Khan dressing up as a goonda in a Coca Cola ad doesnt automatically mean the ad is violent. The ad is supposed to be on a funny note and Madhuri has done a great job in creating humour. She looks ravishing in the typical Maharashtrian getup. And as an FYI this ad runs during top shows of major GECs like SP, Colors, Sony, Zee whose airtime dont come cheap by Indian standards.

Obviously you didn't get my point. Her playing a kamwali bai doesn't make it a B-grade ad. Even if she played a malkin in the ad, it would still look B-grade.

What makes this B-grade is the brand in itself - Xpert Aquashine? Ok. How can you compare it to Aamir's coke ads? Coke is on a different level altogether. Not just brand-wise. Even the production values for this Xpert ad are poor.

Madhuri has been off from public memory for more than a decade (discounting Aaja Nachle because that was forgettable). Yet she is fondly remembered. So if she suddenly turns up like a kaamwali Bai endorsing a bartan sabun brand... like Relda said, Rekha endorsing earbuds does look odd because her stature is something else. But that's me anyway.

Regarding the ad running at primetime, KRK's Deshdrohi's trailers were shown along with Ghajini on all the big channels.. and their airtime didn't come cheap either. But you still know the difference. Now if you felt Deshdrohi's quality was as good as Ghajini, I can't argue about it. Let's just agree to disagree.
Edited by VanityGirl - 12 years ago
Originally posted by shalini1323

And this is another cute Ad of Lux : Soorat bhi hain Khoobsurat bhi hain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Ctowsw2Hs&feature=related

Madhuri never endorsed Lux...
Originally posted by VanityGirl

Obviously you didn't get my point. Her playing a kamwali bai doesn't make it a B-grade ad. Even if she played a malkin in the ad, it would still look B-grade.

What makes this B-grade is the brand in itself - Xpert Aquashine? Ok. How can you compare it to Aamir's coke ads? Coke is on a different level altogether. Not just brand-wise. Even the production values for this Xpert ad are poor.

I didnt find anything wrong in the production values. I think you are going by the poor quality video on YT. Better watch it on TV. The production value is good as any other similar FMCG ad. The ad has been produced by Euro RSCG which a well known ad agency.
Regarding the brand I dont see what's there to turn up our nose at a brand which doesnt have a phoren tag. Just as an FYI the company whose ad it is a 2000cr plus Indian company. Another FYI is that Madhuri has also endorsed brands with phoren tag recently like Olay, Gemstone and Comfort.

Madhuri has been off from public memory for more than a decade (discounting Aaja Nachle because that was forgettable). Yet she is fondly remembered. So if she suddenly turns up like a kaamwali Bai endorsing a bartan sabun brand... like Relda said, Rekha endorsing earbuds does look odd because her stature is something else. But that's me anyway.

I dont understand how its ok for Hema Malini, Sridevi, Kajol, Juhi, Karishma to do ads while it isnt for Madhuri just because she stayed away. Talking of Madame Re I guess its ok for her to do sidey grandma roles in Hrithik's films.  

Regarding the ad running at primetime, KRK's Deshdrohi's trailers were shown along with Ghajini on all the big channels.. and their airtime didn't come cheap either. But you still know the difference. Now if you felt Deshdrohi's quality was as good as Ghajini, I can't argue about it. Let's just agree to disagree.

The difference between Deshdrohi and Ghajini was the critical and commercial reception. And anyways the purpose of an ad is different from a movie. The ad was been well liked by many due to Madhuri's comic timing and her beauty and the brand was noticed. It served its purpose. I dont think anyone intended the ad to help Madhuri win a National or Oscar award.
Whether the ad is for a crappy dishwashing bar or a hi flying commercial product is not the point. The question is: Is this why she relocated her whole family for?
I don't buy the Indian upbringing stuff. Her brother and sisters are in the US and she seemed happy to be joining them and their kids, and adopting their lifestyle.
The truth is: everybody has been relocated and only one person is working in her comfort zone and that is MD.
She is gorgeous, talented, is highly regarded and... sigh...is hocking soap bars.
^^^Why did she relocate...time might tell. Or maybe not.