IPKKND: Another Perfect Day

Posted: 12 years ago

Please send me a Buddy Request if you want future PMs for my work although I only send out PMs once a week (Sunday evenings) with links to all the work I've updated during the week. If you want to know about the updates faster than that then you should check in with my INDEX regularly.

I retain sole ownership of all these works of fiction so please do not reproduce or alter my work and claim it as your own. Read all my other work at my INDEX

Khushi buried her head further under the blanket as she heard her family leaving. She didn't have it in her to face another day of avoiding both Shyam and Arnav and had been dreading this lunch invitation ever since Anjaliji had mentioned it last week. She needed just one day away from her family, his family, away from everyone just so she could forget for a couple of hours the mess that she'd turned her life into.

Not telling Anjali about Shyam had been a bad decision. It had seemed like the right thing to do at the time but now that she'd had more time to think about it, now that she realised Shyam was never going to change, that she was going to have to spend the rest of her life avoiding his advances she realised how wrong she'd been. But now what? How did she fix it without raising a hundred questions about why she hadn't been honest in the first place.

No. She was doing it again. Khushi pushed away the covers and sat up with her head in her hands. She would think about it tomorrow. Today she was going to try and forget all about it and not allow Shyam to ruin the one day she had to herself.

---

Arnav grit his teeth together and turned back around to his room slamming the door as he went in. She'd been avoiding him ever since Akash and Payal's engagement which he'd been fine with at first but since he'd found out her engagement had broken as well he was desperate to talk to her. He needed to know what her damn fiance had done, at first he'd assumed it was just a fight but if it was worth breaking her engagement over it must have been much worse. Arnav couldn't help the feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach and the horrifying possibility that her fiance had forced himself on her somehow.

And now she hadn't even come to lunch with the rest of her family claiming a headache. He paced up and down in his room regretting his attempt at indifference when Di had told him about Khushi's broken engagement. He should have asked what had happened. Had she broken the engagement or had her fiance? Was he still living at their house? What if she was alone at home with him right now? What if he tried to hurt her again?

No. He wasn't going to let it happen again. He'd been wrestling with his feelings the first time, unable to clearly express his concern to her, unable to assure her that he would protect her, kill anyone who tried to hurt her but not this time.

---

He felt himself visibly relax as he saw her and lifted his hand to cover his mouth and his growing smile. She was sitting on top of a car in front of the garage, legs crossed and arms outstretched as she shouted something at the kids in front of her playing cricket.

Barun noticed the car before she did and ran towards it, 'Uncle, Uncle! Will you be on my team?' Khushi's mouth opened wide in shock as she slid off the car at the same time as he got out his and took off his sunglasses. He walked towards her slowly ignoring the increasing number of kids calling for his attention. 'I thought you had a headache?'

Khushi looked around trying to ignore his piercing gaze, 'erm... erm... kids, leave Uncle alone!'

'Uncle? Khushi... you!' Having these children call him 'Uncle' reminded him of the little girls who had called him 'Jeejaji' which surprisingly enough hadn't bothered him as much and having Khushi call him 'Uncle' along with them was infuriating.

'I mean... my headache's gone! I'm feeling much better now.'

'Come on then, let's go, we'll still make it in time for lunch.' He turned around to walk back to the car and found his path blocked by 5 children.

'Uncle, please play with us! We need someone who can bowl. Please, Uncle!'

Khushi tried to move the children away remembering how he'd shouted at the little girls on Janmashtmi, 'Barun, Priya, Aliya come on all of you. Uncle doesn't know how to play, leave him alone. I'm sorry Arnavji but I really don't feel like going today. I'll come another day, I promise.'

Arnav narrowed his eyes to look at her, 'you think I don't how to play cricket?'

'No, no... that's not what I...' she stopped as she saw Arnav bend down and ask Barun his name before he took the ball and walked over to the other end of the makeshift pitch.

'Didi, go on, you have to be umpire again.' Khushi began to walk back to the car when she felt his hand on her arm stopping her. 'Huh?'

Arnav led her over to his own car and lifted her up onto the bonnet before Khushi even realised what had happened.

Khushi's shock only increased further as she watched Arnav play with the children adjusting his bowling speeds and techniques as he learnt which of the children could handle faster balls and the ones that couldn't.

Arnav found himself smiling more and more as he began to enjoy himself. Apart from calling him 'Uncle' the children were actually funny and Arnav laughed every time Barun and Khushi got into an argument about the score which was practically every time Barun came up to bat.

Khushi forgot her initial nerves at being around Arnav as she became engrossed in the game again until Sushant came to pull her off the car, 'come on Didi, you have to bat now.'

'No, no...' Khushi started to protest until she saw Arnav looking at her with a challenging look in his eyes as if he expected her to refuse.

'What's wrong Khushi? Don't know how to play?'

'Of course I know how to play,' Khushi said as she took the bat and stood in front of the stumps praying to herself that he would bowl slowly as he had done with Priya.

Arnav rubbed the ball on his trousers exaggeratedly as he tried to decide whether or not to bowl Khushi out on the first ball. He wasn't sure whether he wanted to see her look of indignation at being bowled out or if he wanted to see her joy at managing to hit the ball.

Khushi watched as Arnav took a longer run up than he had done with any of the kids still praying to herself. The ball wasn't as fast as she'd been expecting but it wasn't an easy ball by any means so when she managed to get her bat onto it and hit it quite far although somewhat awkwardly she screamed out in joy.

Khushi only stopped jumping up and down when she realised she was the only one celebrating and she turned towards the children to tell them off about changing loyalties so quickly when she saw everyone, including Arnav staring open mouthed at the car that she had been sitting on earlier. Khushi's hands flew up in shock to cover her open mouth as her brain registered the broken window.

Arnav began to laugh involuntarily at the sight of Khushi's stricken face until all of the children were laughing along with him while Khushi seemed to be frozen in place.

'Who did this?!'

The sound of Happyji's voice had all of the children running in various directions back to their houses leaving only Arnav and Khushi. Arnav rolled his eyes as he saw Khushi begin to fidget on the spot and twirl her dupatta around her fingers. 'It was me, I'll pay for all the damages, don't worry.'

'Oh! Mr Raizada, it's you. Oh no problem, of course I trust you, of course.'

Happyji left as well leaving Arnav and Khushi alone and she felt her earlier nervousness return. She'd been avoiding Arnav because she knew he would ask why she'd been crying that day and also because she was afraid that now there was no Lavanyaji anymore she'd make the stupid mistake of throwing herself at him only to have him reject her again. 'Erm... thank you. You didn't have to... I... I should go.'

'Khushi,' Arnav called out to her and she stopped automatically as if she'd been waiting for him. He wanted to ask about her fiance but she'd been so happy only moments ago, enjoying herself and he didn't want to make her cry again. 'Khushi, are you okay?'

Khushi thought back to the past two hours they'd spent playing and the way Arnav had laughed along with all the children at the broken window and she smiled and nodded before walking to the house.

Arnav got into his car sighing to himself. He still hadn't found out what had happened but he felt slightly more relieved than he had been on the drive over. As he drove away from Khushi's house he passed Barun and Priya standing at their balcony waiting to wave him off. He slowed the car down as he approached them and lowered his window, 'goodbye.'

They waved back enthusiastically, 'goodbye Bhaiyya! Next time we'll play football okay?'

Arnav smiled for what seemed like the millionth time that afternoon and nodded as he drove away still smiling to himself. 'Bhaiyya' wasn't as good as 'Jeejaji' but it was at least better than 'Uncle'.

Edited by nayika - 12 years ago
OMG that was so cute (: Awesome OS!!

Aww that was so cute :) Loved reading the OS!

First Uncle, then Bhaiyya :) Hehe a new part with him now being the Jijaji  would be awesome 😆

Cheers!
Naina
Aww tht is so cute!! Awesome work! Loved it Shuey!
Awww this was so sooo sweet! (:

Thanks for such a wonderful one shot Nayika! I was hoping you'd update soon..and here we go! (: This was really a stress reliever from all the work I've been doing all day..it brought a smile to my face! 

I actually hope they show something like this in the show, I feel like like both Arnav and Khushi need a stress free day with no tension or worries about others. Great story! (:

--Garima
Originally posted by AquaBluez17

Aww tht is so cute!! Awesome work! Loved it Shuey!

Originally posted by Jen_IloveAR

OMG that was so cute (: Awesome OS!!

Originally posted by Maanyita17

res
Edit: Oh wow, Arnav played cricket! I liked it.

Thank you guys! :DD
Originally posted by Naina2127

Aww that was so cute :) Loved reading the OS!

First Uncle, then Bhaiyya :) Hehe a new part with him now being the Jijaji  would be awesome 😆

Cheers!
Naina

Thank you!

Haha, hopefully they'll have little Barun show up in the future and call Arnav that ;)
Originally posted by mademoiselle927

OOOH! New OS!

Res!

That was so cute! it reminded me a little of kuch kuch hot hai for some reason! ðŸ˜Š

Thank you! Ooh now that i think about it, maybe because of the basketball scene? Sort of?
Originally posted by -Garima-

Awww this was so sooo sweet! (:

Thanks for such a wonderful one shot Nayika! I was hoping you'd update soon..and here we go! (: This was really a stress reliever from all the work I've been doing all day..it brought a smile to my face! 

I actually hope they show something like this in the show, I feel like like both Arnav and Khushi need a stress free day with no tension or worries about others. Great story! (:

--Garima

Thank you so much!

Aww, yeah I think last week was the first week ever I didn't write an OS but I'm prepared and excited for this week so you can enjoy some more of my work :P

Glad I could help you relieve some stress!!

They definitely need a day to be free of worries and responsibilities, especially Khushi!
awe so cute arnav playing cricket at least they stop calling him uncle but so want them to call hin jijaji