•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago
(Based on State of the Union address delivered by President Obama in 2011. Lets inspire ourselves to do better in the forum)

Ms Moderator, Forum Members, distinguished guests, and fellow IPKKND fans:

Tonight I want to begin by congratulating the men and women of the IPKKND forum, as well as your new Lip-alicious avatar Fahms. (Applause.) And as we mark this occasion, we're also mindful of the empty chair in this chamber, and we pray for the return of our colleague — and our friend — Sophie – who left the forum.

It's no secret that those of us here tonight have had our differences over the last 6 months. The debates have been contentious; we have fought fiercely for our beliefs. And that's a good thing. That's what a robust democracy demands. That's what helps set us apart as a nation.

But there's a reason the tragedy in the Negative posts gave us pause. Amid all the noise and passion and rancor of our public debate, our lovely forum members reminded us that no matter who we are or where we come from, each of us is a part of something greater — something more consequential than party or political preference.

We are part of the IPKKND family. We believe that in a forum where every race and faith and point of view can be found, we are still bound together as one people; that we share common hopes and a common creed; that the dreams of a little girl in Tucson are not so different than those of our own children, and that they all deserve the chance to be fulfilled.

That, too, is what sets us apart as a forum. (Applause.)

Now, by itself, this simple recognition won't usher in a new era of cooperation. What comes of this moment is up to us. What comes of this moment will be determined not by whether we can sit together tonight, but whether we can work together tomorrow. (Applause.)

I believe we can. And I believe we must. That's what the people who sent us here expect of us. With their votes, they've determined that governing will now be a shared responsibility between parties. New rules will only pass with support from all IPK fans. We will move forward together, or not at all — for the challenges we face are bigger than party, and bigger than politics.

At stake right now is not who wins the next round of TRP or chaska meter — after all, we just had our TRPs in top 10. At stake is whether new storylines and classy story telling take root in this soap, or somewhere else. It's whether the hard work and devotion of our people is rewarded. It's whether we sustain the leadership that has made IPK not just a soap on a StarPlus, but the light to the world.

TBC...

We are poised for progress. Days after the worst bashing most of us have ever known, the forum members has come roaring back. Positive posts are up. The community is growing again.

But we have never measured progress by these yardsticks alone. We measure progress by the success of our show. By the lively stories they can find and the quality these stories offer. By the prospects of a single forum member who dreams of turning a good idea into a thriving plotline for the show. By the opportunities for a better life that we pass on to our children.

That's the project the IPKKND people want us to work on. Together. (Applause.)

We did that in June. Thanks to the all the hard times we passed, our forum participation are a little bigger today. But we have to do more. These steps we've taken over the last six months have broken the back of other not-so great shows, but to win the future, we'll need to take on challenges that have been decades in the making.

Many people watching tonight can probably remember a time when finding a good show meant flipping through several channels such as Colors, SP, Zee etc. You didn't always need a degree, and your competition was pretty much limited to your neighbors.

That world of TV has changed. And for many, the change has been painful. I've seen it in the falling TRPs, and the canceled shows. I've heard it in the frustrations of other forums who've seen their shows slide down a slippery path or completely disappear — proud men and women who feel like the rules have been changed in the middle of the game.

They're right. The rules have changed. In a single generation, revolutions in technology have transformed the way we live, work and do business. ….

So, yes, the world has changed. The competition among shows is real. But this shouldn't discourage us. It should challenge us. Remember — for all the hits we've taken these last few months, for all the naysayers predicting our decline, IPKKND still has the largest, most prosperous and number one position in the telly world. (Applause.) No members — no members are more active than ours. No show has more successful FF's OS's, one shots, imagination, discovery, interpretations, symbolisms and entertainers. We're the home to the world's best minds and writers, where more fans come to read than any place on IF.

The future is ours to win. But to get there, we can't just stand still. As Robert Kennedy told us, "The future is not a gift. It is an achievement." Sustaining the IPK Dream has never been about standing pat. It has required each generation to sacrifice, and struggle, and meet the demands of a new age.

And now it's our turn. We know what it takes to. Our CVs need to out-innovate, out-educate, and out-build the rest of the world. (Applause.) We have to make IPK the best place on Earth to do get 20 mins of daily entertainment. We need to take responsibility for the state of our forum and reform it. That's how our people will prosper. That's how we'll win the future. (Applause.) And tonight, I'd like to talk about how we get there.

The first step in winning the future is encouraging IPK producers and CVs towards innovation. None of us can predict with certainty what the next big story or twist will be or where the new characters will come from. Thirty years ago, we couldn't know that something called the Internet would lead to an economic revolution. What we can do — what our forum members do better than anyone else — is spark the creativity and imagination of our CVs. We're the group that cried for graceful exit of LA, for shyam revelation and for positivity in ARHI relationship. In IPK, innovation doesn't just change our lives. It is how we make our living. (Applause.)

………..

This is our generation's Sputnik moment. 6 months ago, I said that we needed to reach a level of research and development we haven't seen since the beginning of the Star Plus. And in a few weeks, we will be seeing more Rabba-ve moments and unique love story to meet that goal. We'll invest in more FF's, OS's, picture gallery, fun posts to spur our lovely jodi,  — (applause) — an investment that will strengthen our security, protect our place in telly world, and create purely delicious place for our people.

Already, we're seeing the promise of renewable energy away from negative posts. Community_drive and Shybabe are sisters who have strived to stay positive and given us many fun posts to read. Head over Heels has given us our daily dose of humor, sarcasm and substance – all delivered in her inimitable style. In other words, "We reinvented ourselves."

That's what IPK fans have done for over 6 months: reinvented ourselves. And to spur on more success stories, we've begun to reinvent our no-bashing policy. We're not just handing out pure bile and venom to those who post negative comments. We're issuing a challenge. We're telling our fellow fans that that if they assemble teams of the best minds in world, and focus on the crux of our love, camaraderie and desire for a clean forum, we'll find ways to ignore the bashing posts and redirect our energy towards fun and clean posts.

……

Now, clean and fun breakthroughs will only translate into clean forum if members know there will be a market for what they're selling. So tonight, I challenge you to join me in setting a new goal: By January 2012, 100 percent of IPK forum members will resolve to NEVER POST/COMMENT/BASH/PAY ATTENTION to ANY NEGATIVE POSTS and will resolve to IGNORE ANY AND ALL SUCH POSTS.

Some folks want retaliation and revenge. Others want to get even, settle the score or give it back to the offender with full gusto. To meet the former goal, we will need them all — and I urge every SINGLE MEMBER to work together to make it happen. (Applause.)

Maintaining our leadership is crucial to our forum and our show's success. But if we want to win the future — then we also have to win the race to educate our youngest members of the forum, the teenagers and the young at mind, to practice restraint and resist the temptation to give any more attention to a naysayer than they deserve.

Think about it. Over the next 10 years, nearly half of you will in college, get degrees, jobs, get married, go on dates and settle in life. And this bashing on the forum will be nothing but a blip in your otherwise wonderful life. However, your bashing posts can seriously destroy the quality of life for some of the members. And so the question is whether all of us — as citizens, and as parents — are willing to do what's necessary to give every child a chance to succeed and prevent unnecessary time spent online bashing each other, posting swear words, and behaving in a classless way?

That responsibility begins not in our classrooms, but in our homes and communities. It's family that first instills the love of learning and a sense of decorum in a child. Only parents can make sure the TV is turned off and homework gets done and blatant, bullying and hurtful posts on a forum stopped. We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Super Bowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair. (Applause.) We need to teach them that success is not a function of fame or PR or getting the last word on the forum, but of hard work and discipline.

Good Lord *Faints*

How long did it take you to come up with that speech? 👏⭐️

And i agree posting any such comment in negative threads, only adds to the popularity of that thread and helps spread more negativity, so we should avoid it altogether!

All these investments ' in innovation, education of our children, and infrastructure ' will make IPK and our forum a better place to do have fun and entertainment. But to help our show compete, we also have to knock down barriers that stand in the way of its success.

For example, over the past several months, a parade of lobbyists has rigged the forum to benefit particular pair or jodi or another competing show. Those with time and fake ids to work the system can end up paying no dues at all. But all the rest are hit with a sickening feeling of losing everything we love and we believe in, in our shows. It makes no sense, and it has to change. (Applause.)

So tonight, I'm asking the Mods to simplify the system. Get rid of the loopholes. Level the playing field. And use two set of moderators in two time zones to constantly keep vigil on the forum and swiftly close the negative posts before much too much damage is done.  It can be done. (Applause.)

To help our show top everywhere abroad, we set a goal of doubling our membership by 2012 ' because the more we increase in numbers, the more inclusive and one we feel in the forum. rts are up.

When we find rules that put an unnecessary burden on us, we will fix them. (Applause.) But we will not hesitate to create or enforce common-sense safeguards to protect the forum. (Applause.) That's what we've done in for more than 6 months. It's why our forum is safe to visit, our posts safe to read, and our air is safe to breathe. It's why we have speed limits, IF rules and regulations.

Now, I have heard rumors that a few of you still have concerns about our show not keeping up with other competing shows. (Laughter.) So let me be the first to say that anything can be improved. If you have ideas about how to improve this show by making it better or more entertaining, the CVs I am sure are eager to work with you. We can start right now by correcting a flaw in the story that has placed an unnecessary burden on Khushi (aka Shyam's truth). (Applause.)

What I'm not willing to do ' what I'm not willing to do is go back to the days when any disagreement or differing opinions would completely be taken out of context and used against the person making the comment.  (Applause.)

I'm not willing to tell MitraShakti, a lawyer and womens rights advocate, that her point of view is not welcome here. I will defend to the death her right to post her point of view but I may not agree with her and choose to ignore all her posts if they don't make any sense to me. I implore you to do the same without rancor, ill-will or use of rough language. (Applause.)

So I say to this chamber tonight, instead of re-fighting the battles of the last 6 months, let's fix what needs fixing and let's move forward. (Applause.)

Edited by serialjunkie - 12 years ago
let me start by giving a STANDING OVATION to that incredible post!👏👏👏

and every single word every single suggestion is amazing and i support everything u have said!!

and to say a little thing, the actual victory to our forum came when after the bashing happened through this drive by the other members to actively create positivity, investing their time mind and effort to making everything better once again!

as u can see from my account i have been on IF for over 5years..grown from a teenager to now in these forums..and for the first time i'm seeing this overwhelming positivity, the striving of members just like u to overcome the hurdles, to start on a clean slate! AND LET ME TELL U THIS ITSELF IS OUR VICTORY! THIS POST BEING POSTED BY U IS A VICTORY FOR US!

and one suggestion I'd like to endorse if sharing the burden of Minnu so that when she is not here another moderator can take over and keep constant vigil as u have suggested,,and my suggestion is let us ourselves propose some names like Anne di (aka HeadOverHeels) u urself (serialjunkie), the_rain (Bristy),minimuffin86 and many others..and any of u who can spare the time for that should be made a moderator..

so once again let me conclude by telling what an amazing effort and what a wonderful idea

AND HERE IS MY WORD FOR U LET US KICK START THIS CAMPAIGN OF 'SAY NO TO BASHING'!
Edited by princessunara - 12 years ago

Now, the final critical step in winning the future is to make sure we aren't buried under a mountain of criticism.

We are living with a legacy of Geet story that began almost two years ago. And in the wake of the channel closing and geet ending crisis, some of that has spurred redirects to our forum.

But now that the worst of the reaction is over, we have to confront the fact that our forum has taken it, at times, with less grace than warranted. That is not sustainable. Every day, forum members sacrifice and restrain themselves to live within their decorum and limits. Such members deserve a forum world that does the same.

So tonight, I am proposing that starting in the New Year, we freeze our retaliation. Now, this would deter the bashing posts because they will not get the attention they so seek. This freeze will require painful sacrifices from ALL OF US.

I recognize that some in this chamber have already proposed deeper cuts, and I'm willing to eliminate whatever we can honestly afford to do without. But let's make sure that we're not doing it on the backs of our most vulnerable citizens the youngest members of the forum. (Applause.) And let's make sure that what we're cutting is really excess weight.

The bipartisan fiscal commission I created last year made this crystal clear. I don't agree with all their proposals, but they made important progress. And their conclusion is that the only way to tackle our differences is to cut the rhetoric, stop unnecessarily criticizing our actors and spending more time appreciating everything that is good with our show.  

……

To put us on solid ground, we should also find a bipartisan solution to strengthen the Sanaya , Barun loving generation. (Applause.) We must do it without putting at risk our love for each actor.

And if we truly care about our show, we simply can't afford a permanent extension of our show beyond the normal 2~3 years of its fruitful existence. Before we make LA negative or Mamiji a typical Saas-Bahu, we must pause and think whether we fall into the TRP trap and pander to the basest emotions in telly world. In fact, the best thing we could do is to simplify the nonsensical story lines seen in other shows. (Applause.) This will be a tough job, but members of all parties have expressed an interest in doing this, and I am prepared to join them. (Applause.)

So now is the time to act. Now is the time for all sides to forge a principled compromise that gets the job done. If we make the hard choices now to rein in our negativity, we can make the progress we need to win the future.

Let me take this one step further. We shouldn't just give our people a forum that's more positive. We should give them a forum that's more competent and more efficient and one of the most entertaining in IF. We can't win the future with a forum of the past. (Applause.)

(shortening it...)

We do big things.

From the earliest days of our founding, IPK has been the story of an ordinary girl who dared to dream and an angry young man who dared to change his ways. That's how we win the future.

We're a forum that says, "I might not have a lot of time, but I have this 20 minutes that I will devote to this lovely show." "I might not comment online or make funny posts, but I will be the first one to AVOID creating any negative vibes in the forum." "I might not like the way current track is proceeding or the shape of the story, but I think I can help CVs, and I need to try, and I will re-iterate my ideas in the forum as many times as needed to get the ideas across to the CVs." "I'm not sure how we'll reach that better place beyond the horizon, but I know we'll get there. I know we will."

We do big things. (Applause.)

The idea of IPKKND endures. Our destiny remains our choice. And tonight, more than 6 months later, it's because of our people that our future is hopeful, our journey goes forward, and the state of our forum and our SHOW is strong.

Thank you. God bless you, and may God bless the IPKKND forum. (Applause.)