Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon
Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Rice Symbolism - December 16 (Page 6)

Opti IF-Stunnerz
Opti
Opti

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 9:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bidz

I have a question for you. I am very puzzled about the mangalsutra scene where Khushi saves Anjali's mangalsutra. In the SBB segment Khushi also mentioned that that is a very important scene. From what I can understand, it seems as though Khushi will save Anjali's marriage. However, it really doesn't make sense logically. Khushi doesn't know it yet, but he actually did try to kill Khushi's father, I am curious to know what you make out of that scene combined with the rice symbolism.

The way I see Khushi saving the mangalsutra is that her silence on the crook's misdeeds  will not only save Anjali's marriage but also perhaps save the crook's life because as per Indian customs, a wife has to remove her mangalsutra after her husband's death.  If Arnav comes to know what the crook did the two most precious women in his life (his sister and his love), he is sure to beat him to death.  Yes, Shyam did try to kill Shashi. If Shashi gets back his speech he can well send him to prison.  Would Khushi then stick by the crook?  I wonder.

Edited by Opti - 18 December 2011 at 10:05am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

spsharmilasun2011sbk2bikerider

Opti IF-Stunnerz
Opti
Opti

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -TomNJerry-

Thanks! This is beautiful and indepth.

No matter how much venom Sham's touch might have ... but eventually rice sprinkles shall always symbolize prosperity and blessings. 

True.  Although there will be turmoil once the truth (half truth comes out) eventually everything will lead up to a positive conclusion of this Shyam drama.

Edited by Opti - 18 December 2011 at 10:05am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-TomNJerry-sun2011bikerider

areeba_blossom IF-Sizzlerz
areeba_blossom
areeba_blossom

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged
Ur brilliant Opti! Even u noticed it but I didn't know much bout the Hindu rituals!
Thanks for the perfect interpretation! Hope Anjali rakes her mind soon!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sun2011

sbk2 IF-Sizzlerz
sbk2
sbk2

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Opti

Originally posted by sbk2

Brilliant analysis again Opti!

Actually I think rice is thrown at American weddings too, if I'm not mistaken. 

I do not know about American weddings.  All I know is that they throw confetti in western weddings.

Besides wedding ceremonies and any rituals related to weddings in India, rice is commonly used like flowers to offer in religious functions as well. 
I don't know about other parts of India, but in my culture (from a region in Karnataka) whenever we perform puja and chant mantras, we shower the idols of deities with rice too.
Throwing rice is definitely symbolic. 

Actually I researched the part about throwing rice in American weddings online, because I remember seeing it on TV several times. Below is an article I found, am pasting only the relevant part:

Link to the article is :

American Wedding Traditions and Customs

Weddings in America are just as diverse as the couple who comes together to share their lives forever. American Traditional weddings take place in a church with family and friends in attendance to help celebrate the joyous occasion. Weddings in America also take place in chapels scattered throughout theU.S., most renowned in Las Vegas. Some couples choose a wedding ceremony on a beach or in a garden. Whatever location you choose for your wedding ceremony, here is a look at some of the customs and traditions that seem to stay with couples no matter where they are.

Throwing Rice

The act of attendants throwing rice at the new couple after their wedding ceremony signifies that they wish the couple happiness and prosperity. In recent years rice has been replaced with things such as birdseed and even blowing bubbles. It has been thought that rice is hard to clean up, and birds could just eat the birdseed. Bubbles are festive, so they have become quite popular over the years as well.

Edited by sbk2 - 18 December 2011 at 3:48pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

sun2011Zuzanabikerider

bikerider IF-Sizzlerz
bikerider
bikerider

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 6:43pm | IP Logged
@opti  you have a point, or was it pointed to payal  will shyam create trouble for her.   or will  shyam become +ve.  

@shweths  want laddu for research Wink  but  you have confused me more  now will payal happiness be impacted by shyam Ouch

@sun2011 very difficult to say at this point.  if  because of naani arhi engagement is going to happen
then they may push shyam track a little lower Confused

Edited by lwfw - 18 December 2011 at 6:43pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sun2011sbk2

sbk2 IF-Sizzlerz
sbk2
sbk2

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 7:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lwfw

@opti  you have a point, or was it pointed to payal  will shyam create trouble for her.   or will  shyam become +ve.  

@shweths  want laddu for research Wink  but  you have confused me more  now will payal happiness be impacted by shyam Ouch

@sun2011 very difficult to say at this point.  if  because of naani arhi engagement is going to happen
then they may push shyam track a little lower Confused

Sharu,

Research or not, I always welcome laddoos and food in general...so keep them coming! Wink

About the rice throwing part in IPK, I don't exactly know how it will be relevant.
Opti's post made me think about it.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sun2011

zafi IF-Rockerz
zafi
zafi

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 7:49pm | IP Logged
Very interesting.ClapBig smile Makes sense to me.
Thanks for taking the time to explain.Big smile

Go to top