Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sbk2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago

Originally posted by: Opti

I do not know about American weddings.  All I know is that they throw confetti in western weddings.

Besides wedding ceremonies and any rituals related to weddings in India, rice is commonly used like flowers to offer in religious functions as well. 
I don't know about other parts of India, but in my culture (from a region in Karnataka) whenever we perform puja and chant mantras, we shower the idols of deities with rice too.
Throwing rice is definitely symbolic. 

Actually I researched the part about throwing rice in American weddings online, because I remember seeing it on TV several times. Below is an article I found, am pasting only the relevant part:

Link to the article is :

http://www.elitedresses.com/American_Wedding_Customs_s/63.htm

American Wedding Traditions and Customs

Weddings in America are just as diverse as the couple who comes together to share their lives forever. American Traditional weddings take place in a church with family and friends in attendance to help celebrate the joyous occasion. Weddings in America also take place in chapels scattered throughout theU.S., most renowned in Las Vegas. Some couples choose a wedding ceremony on a beach or in a garden. Whatever location you choose for your wedding ceremony, here is a look at some of the customs and traditions that seem to stay with couples no matter where they are.

Throwing Rice

The act of attendants throwing rice at the new couple after their wedding ceremony signifies that they wish the couple happiness and prosperity. In recent years rice has been replaced with things such as birdseed and even blowing bubbles. It has been thought that rice is hard to clean up, and birds could just eat the birdseed. Bubbles are festive, so they have become quite popular over the years as well.

Edited by sbk2 - 12 years ago
bikerider thumbnail
@opti  you have a point, or was it pointed to payal  will shyam create trouble for her.   or will  shyam become +ve.  

@shweths  want laddu for research 😉  but  you have confused me more  now will payal happiness be impacted by shyam

@sun2011 very difficult to say at this point.  if  because of naani arhi engagement is going to happen
then they may push shyam track a little lower 😕
Edited by lwfw - 12 years ago
sbk2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: lwfw

@opti  you have a point, or was it pointed to payal  will shyam create trouble for her.   or will  shyam become +ve.  

@shweths  want laddu for research 😉  but  you have confused me more  now will payal happiness be impacted by shyam

@sun2011 very difficult to say at this point.  if  because of naani arhi engagement is going to happen
then they may push shyam track a little lower 😕

Sharu,

Research or not, I always welcome laddoos and food in general...so keep them coming! 😉

About the rice throwing part in IPK, I don't exactly know how it will be relevant.
Opti's post made me think about it.
zafi thumbnail
Very interesting.👏😃 Makes sense to me.
Thanks for taking the time to explain.😃