Rice Symbolism - December 16

Posted: 12 years ago

There was something which was puzzling me about the scene on Friday where Anjali is shown to have forgotten keeping the rice in the aarti thali and asks Shyam to bring it.  I was wondering about the significance of this.  Since I am not familiar with Hindu rituals, I did a net search and based on what I found, here is my interpretation of that scene.

The rice grain without the husk, called Akshat, is a kind of grain that does not germinate. One cannot grow rice plants by seeding this type of rice. Symbolically it means that rice is the last birth. Offering this shows that one should strive to live life in such a way that at the end of this life one will be liberated and not be born again.

Anjali's life is messed up, thanks to the snake. Since she herself had forgotten to get the rice, it could mean that her life, as it stands, has to end and she needs to be reborn.  She asked Shyam to get the rice and he got it.  I think this could mean that once she knows the truth and regains her strengthen after the shock,  she may demand her freedom from him and he will have to grant her the divorce so that she can start over again to lead a more fulfilling life.

The rice scene could be interpreted in another way too.  They say that rice also refers to the brain's steadfastness and firmness.

We all are well aware of how fickle Anjali's mind is.  No wonder she forgot to get the symbol of steadfastness.  Since Shyam was made to get the rice, his truth will ultimately make her firm and strong although she may suffer initially.   

Rice is also considered a symbol of wealth and prosperity.

Since she did not have the rice when she did the initial aarti for the Gupta family and had to get it later from Shyam this could symbolize that Guptas' link with the wealthy Raizadas hinges on how Shyam behaves from now on.  If he messes things up, their relationship could well be at stake.

Edited by Opti - 12 years ago
I've missed your symbolism posts Opti. Thanks so much for posting this.. Very interesting. I myself was wondering about the rice symbolism, since the scene highlighted it like that.
loved it.thnx alot for this..as it messed my mind,i was wondering for symbolism..but m not familiar with hindu culture,rituals..so..
But u r amazing..u did search..thnx alot..loved all..2nd obe is really good.possiblity..and 3rd one too..infact loved every bit
That was a brilliant symbolism!! Well researched and applied!! 
Originally posted by HeadOverHeels

I've missed your symbolism posts Opti. Thanks so much for posting this.. Very interesting. I myself was wondering about the rice symbolism, since the scene highlighted it like that.

Yes, the scene was highlighted which is why I was wondering about its significance.  Anjali is normally well conversant of rituals so it was strange she forgot to keep an important item of the thali unless they wanted to convey something through this scene. That got me thinking and this is what I came up with after reading the significance of rice in puja thalis.
Originally posted by sarach

loved it.thnx alot for this..as it messed my mind,i was wondering for symbolism..but m not familiar with hindu culture,rituals..so..
But u r amazing..u did search..thnx alot..loved all..2nd obe is really good.possiblity..and 3rd one too..infact loved every bit

I too am not familiar with hindu rituals/customs so this one required some net searching.
Thanks for posting Opti! I was wondering why they showed that scene..any idea on why she used the same rice to bless Payal and Kushi..
Originally posted by Zuzana

Thanks for posting Opti! I was wondering why they showed that scene..any idea on why she used the same rice to bless Payal and Kushi..

All I can think of is that Anjali's well meaning  blessings could well turn into problems for both Payal and Khushi for after all the rice was got by the snake. The revelation of the snake's truth (or rather half truth) could be dangerous for both of them.
I do not know about north India, but in Bengal - you  use rice with husk (dhaan) for puja and aarti purpose . You never use the de-husked rice ( chaal) . I
Great post as always Opti! I hope that the former two will come true NOT the latter! However, we ALL know the influance of Shyam in RM due to the "Blind faith" that Anjali and Raizada's have in Shyam!

SO, you never know how Snake will use this aganist the Gutpa's! He also knows that Gutpa's can ruin things for him! However, since they decided NOT to tell his truth to the R's and it comes out later, we dont know HOW he will try to twist the truth to suit his ends!

I am REALLY sick of Anjali's blindness and her self rightouse "Presumtion" that Khushi's fiancee broke up with HER, not the other way around! ALSO her self rightouse "Assumption" that she knows what's best for Arnav when HE says he does not want to committ to Lavanya!

This women would not know a fact if it hit her in the face! Every time she comes on screen now, I am cringing!
Edited by MrDarcyfan - 12 years ago