India-Forums

Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon
Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Rice Symbolism - December 16

Opti IF-Stunnerz
Opti
Opti

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:02am | IP Logged

There was something which was puzzling me about the scene on Friday where Anjali is shown to have forgotten keeping the rice in the aarti thali and asks Shyam to bring it.  I was wondering about the significance of this.  Since I am not familiar with Hindu rituals, I did a net search and based on what I found, here is my interpretation of that scene.

The rice grain without the husk, called Akshat, is a kind of grain that does not germinate. One cannot grow rice plants by seeding this type of rice. Symbolically it means that rice is the last birth. Offering this shows that one should strive to live life in such a way that at the end of this life one will be liberated and not be born again.

Anjali's life is messed up, thanks to the snake. Since she herself had forgotten to get the rice, it could mean that her life, as it stands, has to end and she needs to be reborn.  She asked Shyam to get the rice and he got it.  I think this could mean that once she knows the truth and regains her strengthen after the shock,  she may demand her freedom from him and he will have to grant her the divorce so that she can start over again to lead a more fulfilling life.

The rice scene could be interpreted in another way too.  They say that rice also refers to the brain's steadfastness and firmness.

We all are well aware of how fickle Anjali's mind is.  No wonder she forgot to get the symbol of steadfastness.  Since Shyam was made to get the rice, his truth will ultimately make her firm and strong although she may suffer initially.   

Rice is also considered a symbol of wealth and prosperity.

Since she did not have the rice when she did the initial aarti for the Gupta family and had to get it later from Shyam this could symbolize that Guptas' link with the wealthy Raizadas hinges on how Shyam behaves from now on.  If he messes things up, their relationship could well be at stake.

Edited by Opti - 18 December 2011 at 1:14am

The following 75 member(s) liked the above post:

sumanupZee2011Bob123Modal_babyJordinishapariVirgopk81Rin630kashevstar1315Dee-RaSiaJewelsAndLaceUnfinishedBlueSpiritsss8080shaheerdiwaninainac01PrasRasWorkerBLX2FX2fazzy-wazzyIpkkndworldcocaoSunshine25HeadOverHeelsShahu-PurpleHeart-sneak-peek-TomNJerry-akhilashsihuspsharmilaTangled-Appy-roshaniDsparikhreyaa.bfunofbb123geetmaanluvMarci--Sobi--S.Stephylittlemoisharneil92sun2011..Damsel..MsCeylonAddie07arshiyanaShweta_1Fatz77zafiMarybartonpaulomi_taAnuSupna9..Apz..-GredForge-Zuzana-Antu-_-Aslan--Iruni-mythili2anu17Peace67applesauce..Saraa.muffins2wafflespinky_blueskiesbikeriderMrDarcyfan.Sad.But.True.sbk2Targaryen-Eris-khushix

HeadOverHeels Goldie
HeadOverHeels
HeadOverHeels

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:13am | IP Logged
I've missed your symbolism posts Opti. Thanks so much for posting this.. Very interesting. I myself was wondering about the rice symbolism, since the scene highlighted it like that.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

kitty25bfunofbb123sun2011Supna9

.Saraa. IF-Sizzlerz
.Saraa.
.Saraa.

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:23am | IP Logged
loved it.thnx alot for this..as it messed my mind,i was wondering for symbolism..but m not familiar with hindu culture,rituals..so..
But u r amazing..u did search..thnx alot..loved all..2nd obe is really good.possiblity..and 3rd one too..infact loved every bit

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

bfunofbb123sun2011

american_desi Senior Member
american_desi
american_desi

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:25am | IP Logged
That was a brilliant symbolism!! Well researched and applied!! 
geetmaanluv IF-Dazzler
geetmaanluv
geetmaanluv

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:26am | IP Logged
interesting... 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

bfunofbb123

Opti IF-Stunnerz
Opti
Opti

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by HeadOverHeels

I've missed your symbolism posts Opti. Thanks so much for posting this.. Very interesting. I myself was wondering about the rice symbolism, since the scene highlighted it like that.

Yes, the scene was highlighted which is why I was wondering about its significance.  Anjali is normally well conversant of rituals so it was strange she forgot to keep an important item of the thali unless they wanted to convey something through this scene. That got me thinking and this is what I came up with after reading the significance of rice in puja thalis.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

bfunofbb123sun2011areeba_blossom

Opti IF-Stunnerz
Opti
Opti

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sarach

loved it.thnx alot for this..as it messed my mind,i was wondering for symbolism..but m not familiar with hindu culture,rituals..so..
But u r amazing..u did search..thnx alot..loved all..2nd obe is really good.possiblity..and 3rd one too..infact loved every bit

I too am not familiar with hindu rituals/customs so this one required some net searching.
Zuzana IF-Rockerz
Zuzana
Zuzana

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:31am | IP Logged
Thanks for posting Opti! I was wondering why they showed that scene..any idea on why she used the same rice to bless Payal and Kushi..

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

spsharmilasun2011sbk2anjs

Go to top