Sultan_Of_Swing thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 12 years ago
Content Removed

Vir Sanghvi

TintinleMechant thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Have to disagree here. I think a really good actress eludes being typecast into a certain genre or mould, or a certain category or appeal.

Kareena's been quite good at this. At one point, no one thought hse could do anything beyond the bratty Poo type roles, but she broke outta it.
Today, I'm pretty confident that she can do all sorts of roles. Subtle or loud, mature or immature, young or old, bold or innocent.
She cannot possibly be all those things at once in her real life. But she can pull it off. She cant be physically old and young either, but seh does it. She pairs up with an Imran and Shahid, or an Aamir and Salman.

Bull. Shit.  No matter how much range an actress have, she will be typecast. When i say Vidya doesn't fit into Golmaal, i don't even mean vidya wont be able to do a golmal, i simply mean she wont be CAST In a golmal. No-one wants to see Vidya act young and silly. That is the truth.

More importantly, the fact that kareena has done a bunch of movies where she can do lighthearted, funny and silly doesn't mean she has range. It means that our industry MASS PRODUCES those types of films. Its our default film-type, and we also have a default-heroine type that we immediatley jump to. Katrina-Kareena-etc.  Would Vidya have made any sense in Meri Brother Ki Dulhan? EFF NO. Vidya doesn't fit the DEFAULT modern heroine look. That says nothing about range.

The fact that Vidya didn't do well in Heyy Baby or KK - i don't really think that say's anything about her abiity to pull off different roles, she certainly has done roles that are demure and quiet, passive, and then agressive and bold. She really doesn't look the way kareena does. It would make zero sense.

I'm going to use Anushka Sharma as an example for my claim. She's a fine actress, i truly believe she can do a cute and breezy role to a serious role. Now, say she wanted to do TDP instead of Vidya. In the acting department, Anushka probably would have been able to get into the mindset of silk smitha and do her best in the role. But she lacks the natural sensuality which Vidya has which is key to such a role, and more than that she does not possess the body type required.

I'm not saying Karena simply gets her roles because of her physicality, but i am saying that those things do play a significant part when it comes to how one is cast.  Also arn't several of kareena's roles FINE TAILORED for her? Like they write the script with her in mind?
desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I'm not talking about being type cast. I mean to be able to pull it off. I still dont think vidya can do it well.

And what do you mean Vidya doestn have the default heroine look?
Look at the PHYSICAL range of successful heroines who have pulled off the default heroine roles.

How do Kajol, Rani Mukherjee, Priyanka Chopra, or Madhuri look similar? I mean...what is the default heroine look?

That has always intrigued me becuase according to me, the kinda actresses that have come and ruled bollywood in those very default heroine looks have been so diverse that I cant even pinpoint what the default heroine look is.

And no, a lot of roles Kareena has done were not written with her in mind.
Heroine, I'm not sure.
But JWM was not one that was fine tailored for her. Imtiaz wrote the script and then approached the actors. He actually approached Shahid first, who then took the script to Kareena.
Neither was Omkara written for her. Actually...none of her roles come to mind that any script writer admittedly wrote FOR her.
Edited by desigal90 - 12 years ago
TintinleMechant thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
^ I do very much mean the default modern heroine look.

If Vidya had began her career in the 80's or 90's i do not doubt that she would have been a star very quickly. I can see her in several of the roles kajol, rani and madhuri have acted in. She reminds me of an old-school type indian beauty, and not the newer more polished looks that Deepika, Sonam, Katrina bring to the table.

My point is ultimatley that there are some looks that not all actresses can embody. And she loses a lot of roles because she very quickly got typecast as an 'aunty' due to her fluctuating weight. I think she has significant range, she doesnt go on overdrive to do several movies though and i think its because she is picky.

Not just that, but you are claiming that Vidya can't do kareena type roles based on two of her failures (Hey baby and KK). Even kareena has failed at several of the light and breezy roles she has portrayed (In Kambaqt Ishq, even Bodygaurd was a major letdown).

What is really your basis for saying Vidya doesnt have range? Is it because she hasn't done enough light and breezy films. Is it because Kareena has just generally done more films?

PS: I don't want this to take a turn for the worst, so i'm just going to put it out there that i'm not in this to fight or anything, I just want to know where you're coming from.
Edited by masakaliii - 12 years ago
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I m happy Vidya is getting what she deserves and her Movie is Such a Big hit without any Khan ...but bcz of her and strong Story and it was a heroine oriented movie

Hope now those ppl will think Twice before claiming their full contribution in the success of 300 cr earning movie for their 15 min role ðŸ˜›
ISano thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
i think she is the the same kinda league as madhurio.. where her movies were known for from her name

ps. im not comparing her.. but just aying what i think
desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: masakaliii

^ I do very much mean the default modern heroine look.

If Vidya had began her career in the 80's or 90's i do not doubt that she would have been a star very quickly. I can see her in several of the roles kajol, rani and madhuri have acted in. She reminds me of an old-school type indian beauty, and not the newer more polished looks that Deepika, Sonam, Katrina bring to the table.

My point is ultimatley that there are some looks that not all actresses can embody. And she loses a lot of roles because she very quickly got typecast as an 'aunty' due to her fluctuating weight. I think she has significant range, she doesnt go on overdrive to do several movies though and i think its because she is picky.

Not just that, but you are claiming that Vidya can't do kareena type roles based on two of her failures (Hey baby and KK). Even kareena has failed at several of the light and breezy roles she has portrayed (In Kambaqt Ishq, even Bodygaurd was a major letdown).

What is really your basis for saying Vidya doesnt have range? Is it because she hasn't done enough light and breezy films. Is it because Kareena has just generally done more films?

PS: I don't want this to take a turn for the worst, so i'm just going to put it out there that i'm not in this to fight or anything, I just want to know where you're coming from.

First of all, dont worry. This is not gonna take any turn for the worst. I can already tell by your tone 😊

I think what my basis is that I've seen Kareena successfully nail something in various genres whereas with Vidya I've seen her do a certain kind of cinema, but not really excell in the more mainstream "default heroine" roles you mentioned.

I dont think that's a bad thing, BUT it does give Kareena an edge to be able to slip into different kinds of roles with a lot more ease than Vidya who, as you mentioned, doesnt fit into the default heroine role

Originally posted by: Naach_Basanti

Ever since TDP has been a hit the majority of the members here who have had issue are Kareena fans. so Im not sure how my generalisation is incorrect here. I appreciate there are exceptions here, but exceptions dont become examples.

Similarly when i say anything negative about Kareena I get labelled a Vidya fan. where is the moral high-ground when others get generealised? To be fair every set of fan in IF get generalised at some point of the other, just about every one. You sort of take it as a part of the package and move on. However I have noticed that its the Kareena fans who are most sensitive about this. . And its not like I have said anything derogatory here, have I?

well not exactly offensive or derogatory...
the problem is not with me being labelled as a kareena fan...heck i am one and i accept it..
And I dunt think anyone had an issue with TDP being a hit...i have no idea who are the kareena fans ur talking abt because Billa, Desigal have been the only ones to say something critical abt vidya or her performance/box office. Me, Lensa, Zoobie, Chamkeeli, ruky and all the other kareena fans had nothing to do with tht...so is it fair to include the majority into one clump because 2 members make critical comments?

the problem is when the entire fangroup is lumped together as some kind of a herd...and one fan's opinion is held against every other fan and everyone is mocked tgoether..so a general prejudice prevails the forum abt a particular fangroup...ive noticed this happen previously with salman fans so im just stating wht i feel..I know it happens to every fan group here on IF, and there have been several times where i have ignored such statements, but when I see a lot of "you kareena fans" comments being made, especially these days, i just make it a point to clear the air there. 

So If u have a problem with someone's post, by all means, argue with tht particular person and make comments abt that person's opinion...why bring in the entire group and make assumptions? Like i said, i didnt make tht statement, yet im pretty sure it will be held against me whenever i say something critical abt vidya balan even though i have been pro TDP throughout the promos and reviews on this forum.  

_notinuse_ thumbnail
Originally posted by: desigal90

Dont know about other kareena fans, but I've never taken Vidya as competition to Kareena.

Vidya's more a Tabu. In her own league.
And because I know she cant do what Kareena can do. So no, I"m sleeping quite well 😉

On the other hand, Priyanka and Katrina are more competition to Bebo and the kind who give Bebo sleepless nights. And Bebo's quite secure in her own position right now.

Ha! ðŸ˜† That quite honestly makes me laugh. Kareena has to most insecure actress in recent times. Everything from her position to her Saifu- she's jealous/insecure about. 😆
_notinuse_ thumbnail
Originally posted by: liverach

oyyy

why aint anyone talking about Priyanka hmm? 

lately, Prianka fans have gone M.I.A. or disappeared from I-F. 😆 I guess that explains the soft corner I've been developing for Prianka lately 😛