Balika Vadhu

India-Forums

Balika Vadhu
Balika Vadhu

DOTW: Is Natha Pratha Okay in Any Circumstance? (Page 2)

Missesha IF-Dazzler
Missesha
Missesha

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 12:11am | IP Logged
Originally posted by tinoo

Questions i wanted to be documented in the panchayat discussions --

1.  what ultimately happens to a girl after the naata relationship is done and over with?  I mean do the rules of naata say that the girl is turned out and returns to her parents home sans the baby?

2.  what did phooli's father understand as the implications of naata when he first did it? did he not know that the girl will come back to them after the delivery of a child.

3.  Even if the girl is to be kicked out after the delivery -- is there any system of "alimony" or if not a life-long income stream for the girl -- then is she to be given some lump sum of compensation?

4.  Can a naata be broken unilaterally by the husband at his will?   When the relationship is entered into bilaterally?

Very appropriate questions; I also felt similar questions should have been raised in panchayat discussion.

And honestly if naata is all to do with surrogation of a child then why did Bharat's family cook up  a story about his first wife. They could have easily hired any girl who was willing to go for this system with a clear intention of surrogating  a child and in exchange for some monetary benefits. why did it have to be Phooli then? Phooli's naata happened with Bharat because she was a widow of Bharat's elder brother. Since both Bharat & Phooli were deprived of their partner's love and affection, they chose to live together as companions without social boundaries i.e. something similar to live-in relationship.

One more question I had is, does a girl have a right to break naata and go out of guy's life at anytime.

I still don't understand the real meaning of Naata pratha and regulations associated with this practice.

Edited by Missesha - 17 December 2011 at 12:49am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sjnptiny15

Missesha IF-Dazzler
Missesha
Missesha

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 12:49am | IP Logged

What if Phooli gave birth to a girl child?

As per the track , Bharat's family wanted a vaaris and a vaaris as per old customs will always be a male child, as girls are married off to another to another family.

So back to point, what if Phooli produced a girl child, would they consider her as vaaris or would they ask phooli to keep producing till they got a boy? Also, would that mean they would keep first wife's existence in Disguise for all those years, till a boy child is born?

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

RashmiSandeepsri2012sjnphookedtiny15

tinoo IF-Rockerz
tinoo
tinoo

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 1:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Missesha

What if Phooli gave birth to a girl child?

As per the track , Bharat's family wanted a vaaris and a vaaris as per old customs will always be a male child, as girls are married off to another to another family.

So back to point, what if Phooli produced a girl child, would they consider her as vaaris or would they ask phooli to keep producing till they got a boy? Also, would that mean they would keep first wife's existence in Disguise for all those years, till a boy child is born?

scary thought.  she might have had two girls before a boy.  then she and two daughters tossed out in the street.

good their intentions came out in the first child itself and she is rid of these cheap naata in-laws.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

sjnpdivyababuhookedswetha_chSuchi-tiny15

Sargesh IF-Dazzler
Sargesh
Sargesh

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 5:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Illyria

<div align="center"><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"><font size="2">Hi Guys

So this issue of Natha Pratha is generating a lot of discussion on the forum and to make everything easier to read and comment on i thought of creating a singular thread to have this discussion on.

</font></font>
  • <font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"><font size="2">So what are your views on Natha Pratha?</font></font>
  • <font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"><font size="2">If Natha Pratha is accepted by both families, is this still a just custom to follow?</font></font>
  • <font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"><font size="2">Also if its accepted by both famililes, does the mother then still have rights?</font></font>
  • <font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"><font size="2">What does be done about Natha Pratha?</font></font>
  • <font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"><font size="2">What repurcussions should there be about people following this?</font></font>
  • <font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"><font size="2">What should happen in the base of Phooli?</font></font>
<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"><font size="2">

Do leave your comments and lets have a constructive discussion about this, please no bashing or use of foul language

Juleka
</font></font></div><div align="center">
</div>
hello dear i am also reident in rajsthan and used to with the customs wich r prevailing till now. In my opinion if u want to give justice to a widow or women left over by husband they shud be properly married with hindu customs. Why naata prath is generated becoz there is strong belief in our society that a woman takes saat pheras in her whole life with one person only. Either she have to sit as widow whole life like that of rajput ladies. Here i have to mention that naata pratha is not followed in upper casts like brahmins, rajputs etc. It is most prevailing in lower casts like OBC,SC,ST. I will discuss it more in my further posts.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

RashmiSandeepsjnpdivyababutiny15

Blukitten IF-Sizzlerz
Blukitten
Blukitten

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 11:42am | IP Logged
Most of these laws are tribal laws which were created to suit specific needs at certain times.For example sati system(Widow burning) and Johar vrat(self immolation by queens during wars) were started during the middles ages when there foreign attacks and lot of wars were going on...The queens used to commit suicide when the king was defeated to save themselves from the attackers and sati system started because widows faced social and financial prob after their husband died...they were both evil customs but at tht time people thought these were best solutions for them...I guess  natha also originated at the same time because of too many widows due to wars...so for those times these laws were useful but now these laws are defunct so i dont think its ok in any situation. Phool's case is pure cheating by her in laws.They have just used naatha as an execuse. Had there not been any naata custom they would hav still got phooli married to bharath and throw her out once she produced a child.

Edited by niharika_n - 17 December 2011 at 12:20pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

sri2012sjnptiny15

brainychild92 IF-Sizzlerz
brainychild92
brainychild92

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 11:59am | IP Logged

• ii what are your views on Natha Pratha?
  • one of the most disgusting tradition i've heard in a LONG time.. and i've heard of some really disgusting stuff (from all over the world, not just india)
  • If Natha Pratha is accepted by both families, is this still a just custom to follow?
  • NO! i'm not against widow's moving on but what is wrong with actually getting married! dowry is wrong but the money given in natha pratha isn't?(i know its not in phooli's case but still) then what's difference between prostitution?!
  • Also if its accepted by both famililes, does the mother then still have rights?
  • YES! ma ma hoti hai! jaise baap baap hota hai! no questions asked! i mean its not a child's fault in what condition he/she was born in, so why punish it?
  • What does be done about Natha Pratha?
  • Illegalize it! I know its an ancient tradition but so is slavery and segregation!
  • What repurcussions should there be about people following this?
  • I would say capital punishment except i believe that i am a mere human and death is given only by the Almighty (SWT), so i'll say Jail and Fine to both families if it was consent by both (money and all). If there is a child involved, MOM should get the child with perhaps dad can visit for some time if mom  permits! 
  • What should happen in the base of Phooli?
  • The "husband and family" goes to jail. Whatever amount they are saying was given,  must go to court and phooli! Phooli gets FULL custody of the baby and if she says, then the husband can visit it. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sjnpILoveDrama

Dr3viL IF-Dazzler

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Websie

Sargesh IF-Dazzler
Sargesh
Sargesh

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 10:15pm | IP Logged
Ya i agree with al of you this custom is not more then prostitution in today's society. I have heard about many girls who had 8-9 naatas repeatedly. And have to leave her children at that husband's house only. Now mentalilty is that 'KAAM KHATAM TO BHEJ DO CHORI NE DUJE NAATE PE'.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

tiny15

Go to top