marriage, trps,TAM and more...

stardust- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago
this is in response to fari's (incandescent) topic on married leads = trps?? started typing out my views there and ended here πŸ˜†, thought it was the whole forum at question..

firstly, there is this HUGE confusion with forum members regarding trps, TVR, TAM.. all of them are NOT the same.. i realised someone posts a TVR chart and its mistaken as a trp one..for the record, its the trps that talk business and not TVR or TAM.. the latter two are just other sources of computing the reach of the shows.. either way, i don't get why WE are so worried about a minute fall in trps.. lets leave this part to SP team and enjoy our magical moments while they last, shall we? πŸ˜†

TRP Television Rating Points
general ratings of tv show.. they are averaged out for a week, so it does not matter if one day of the week is good or bad.. the WHOLE week is taken into account.. released on a wednesday to wednesday basis..

TVR Television Viewer Ratings
based on the reach of a television programme and the time spent in watching it..the share of total targeted viewers who are tuned in at the defined time slot and hence is expressed in percentage..
for instance, if the maximum people watching SNS in its time slot (from 7.00-7.30) are at 7.12.. then 7.12 is counted as the TVR moment.. and if the maximum viewers were say, 12, then its percentage is max (say a 7.08%) and the rest are calculated in relation with it...

TAM (do not know the expansionπŸ˜†)
the number of viewers who are hooked for a maximum amount of time..if the show's rum time is 22 minutes, it is counted as to how much time were many viewers watching it.. say it is 12 minutes for a show..that is the highest and the rest are again calculated in relation to it..

NOW, the marriage part.. will be referring to a lot of shows, no offence meant anywhere 😊
i have some basic idea about the track of each ongoing show from time to time, but never sit down to watch any show for more than 5 mins, except for IPK..but all the shows have unique well done concepts or stories..
NO, according to me, a marriage in itself does NOT mean trps..(case in question : DABH.. the marriage haapened long ago, the trps did not come in then.. to the best of my knowledge, it is 2 weeks later it even appeared on the top 10 chart), but if the marriage is a twisted one, as in its the turning point of the show, the trps will surely run in. (case in question : EHMMBH, the marriage involved one of the leads not attending it, which means a high point and a twist, which obviously translated to hooked viewers.. my mum too.) did not see EHMMBH on the top 10 charts till until around 2 weeks ago too... there are some shows which pick up at around the time of the marriage itself and keep the viewers hooked even after it due too interesting honeymoon trips etc..(case in question : BALH.. the trip to Australia..)

So, finally i would call it the matter of the twist and not the marriage. So if we were talking about IPKKND, if it is a surprise planned marriage; say hatred marriage, it is sure to clock in the numbers.. (though i would put my name first on the list for people who are AGAINST it!).. ifit is a simple they fall in love, get married, i don't think it will turn in as many numbers, but increased trps are a given..!!

now for some IPK-ism..
first off, this is the ONLY show i know of which is EQUALLY popular both online and off it.. the advantage with IPK is that. its a love story.. you can do a lot of things to it and noone will question its diversion from tracks (except of course we at the forum here πŸ˜†).. but you can't say the same about a tale of two sisters or a story of a married woman wanting to pursue her dreams is supported by her husband or a different love story about a 40+ and 30+ falling in love after a marriage... (this is kekta though so no surprises if the show takes a leap and the female lead is shown fighting for justice in some unknown land..)
that is precisely why EHMMBH, DABH and DALH had to finish off with their marriage tracks.. cause the main story in their case is AFTER the marriage.. so no surprises there that all these shows have picked up either at the time of marriage or around it.. you never know when the ratings are going to drop, so all you can do is throw in spice every day to keep the numbers coming..

coming to IPK, the first two months or so, the basic milestone like hitting a 2+ trp and a 3+ trp were targetted.. around the third or fourth month, a few attractive (trp wise) story lines were thrown in to grab eyeballs.. and IPK ended in top 10 and stayed there forever..with having touched the golden 4+ already (you can trust me on this, it got out of top just once in 6 months!).. that too with no typical confession of leads and shyam being revealed just a week ago.. i was shocked when normal plain weeks which had nothing to do with ArHi and their love, clocked in more than 3 trps..😲,, follow the TRP thread, you'll know for sure..

what i am arriving at is this; for me and many others watching IPK, its the love and passion that matters, and IPK provides you with tons of that; be it at irregular intervals.. i ditched tons of shows just because the initial fizzle was done (case in point : navya) and the story thereafter failed to grab my attention.. BUT IPK is different.. why? i would say, because of SaRun.. they play this fictional story so convincingly that its hard to resist the screen even when there is no story going on.. just to see the 2 minutes of their nok-jhok or whatever..(case in question : yesterday's phone convo).. and the best part is you never know WHEN those two minutes arrive..(did i just say best? okay worst..)

AND hence, at least for IPK , the marriage will NOT matter as long as the cvs come up with equally interesting passionate surprises..(trust me on this too, not many of the IPK viewers are waiting to see when the lead are getting married and going on honeymoon🀒..) according to me, they all know the nuances of a maturely-dealt love story and will take it well IF the cvs come with new avenues..
having said that, i AM ready to take a marriage too, cause (yes i trust you cvs! *sob bad moment!*).. at the end of the day it does not boil down too WHAT you have done, but HOW you have done it..

yes, it did turn out long (now you get the idea of a new post?πŸ˜†) but would appreciate if it is wholly read, cause its not my POV, parts of it are plain pure facts which we tend to overlook...

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

incandescent thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

First of all thank you πŸ€—for explaining the difference between TRP, TVR and TAM. Although I did know what TRP is, I had no idea about the other two. πŸ˜³

To begin with, I think this whole rating system is very unfair. Trps are measured using meters which are fixed in certain areas but probably not in all areas. But it is not a fair medium to judge the quality of the show or the talent or popularity of the actors as all the channels don't have the same reach. Indian channels and shows are watched not only by those who live in India but also by NRIs and neighboring countries. But sadly trps can only imprecisely measure the viewership in India. So I don't think it's fair to judge the popularity or the viewership based on these ratings.

What is ironic is the fact that even though I am ardent fan of the show and I am here discussing the ratings and its effect on the show, my opinion probably doesn't count or the fact that I am fan of show (maybe a bigger fan than some of the trp contributors) doesn't count simply because I am not from India. There a hundreds or maybe thousands of fans who are online viewers but there viewership is never counted.

But then again, I worry about these ratings. Here's why?

Although unfair, the ratings are what decide the future of these shows. Many average shows run for years, good shows face an early demise, average actors receive awards, and great actors remain unnoticed because of these ratings. SO was a channel which had many good ( different) shows and they were immensely popular among the youth, NRIs, online viewers, India Forum members etc. These shows launched the careers of newcomers and many young talents emerged from these shows (Sanaya tasted her first success through MJHT, Barun and Deepali were also part of DMG) But those shows never topped trps charts. SO as a channel was targeted for the youth but it had limited reach and low trps and we all know what happened after that. SO breathed its last breath yesterday and Sanaya ( Gunjan ) of MJHT fame gave her aakhri salaam to the channel yesterday...all because of trps ( or the lack of it).

IPKKND is a good show with talented actors (young and old) and it has a different concept compared to the standard high trp shows. IPKKND faces tough competition due to the time slot but still manages to get good ratings and I have to give them credit for that.

But I constantly worry about the ratings, because the ratings decide which shows will run and what the future storyline will be. In simple words, the actors, the ph, the characters, the storyline, the fans all are victims of trps business.

Every other day we see Telly buzz giving news about SP launching new shows. How will they accommodate these shows? How many shows will they axe in order to launch new shows? Sometimes shows are axed after eight-ten months ( example: Tere liye)  and IPKKND is already six months old. Many of these shows will start after two-three months. Four five SP shows are constantly on the top ten charts. Shows like Yeh rishta, Pratigya are running for few years so chances are they will be taken off air even though they have good trps. Then there is SGP and Navya. And after that there is IPKKND which will already be 8-10 months old by that time.

There are just so many channels and so much competition. The channel often takes instantaneous decision about axing older showing and before launching new shows. What if when those shows are launched IPKKND is has slightly lower ratings?  

When I made my married leads = more trps? Post many of you said that kitchen politics, exciting plots, scheming vamps, technical aspects give more trps.

For all those who think scheming vamps get more trps, I beg to differ. Yeh rishta has been running for three years I think. Although I am not a regular viewer I have watched some epis every now and then and honestly if you regularly get to see the promos of soaps it's not difficult to figure out the plot. No offense to the fans but IMO Yeh rishta is a rather bland story which only shows the day to day lives of these two families who never do anything interesting or exciting. Although the female lead faces mayka-sasural issues there are no scheming vamps or unnecessary negativity in that show. The leads are basically a happily married boring couple. The show maybe good but it is simply not exciting enough. The acting is also quite average. It does not even have sufficient kitchen politics. I have to give credit to the show because the plots seem consistent and technical aspects are good as well but I doubt if aunties and grannies care about technical aspects. What is the secret behind the success of that show?

Edited by incandescent - 12 years ago
ilovebarun thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
thanks for clarifying about trps tam and tvr..eve i did not know about it..
i do not know about these ratings or whatever and frankly, i don't care, i just want to enjoy my show..
even i am against a hatred marriage.. or a contract marriage or whatever..
i do not want this show to turn that same drama that has all the female leads crying at home and male leads going to office..i want THE difference.. so agree with this part..
at the end of the day it does not boil down too WHAT you have done, but HOW you have done it..

and a very very well put post! 😊
stardust- thumbnail
yes had to include the latest stats...
TRP.. spot 7

Week 50- (05 DEC 2011 To 11 Dec 2011) Avg :- 3.96

Week 49- (28 NOV 2011 To 04 Dec 2011) Avg :- 3.64

TVR

IPK has loads of competition at 8.00 PM slot..(which i think most of the others don't..) it has overtaken BV for this mentioned week..

Rank

Channel

Programme

Air Date

TVR

Star Plus

Saathiya Saath Nibhana

8/12/11

Star Plus

Diya Aur Baati Hum   

9/12/11

Star Plus

Ek Hazaron Mein Meri Behna Hai 

9/12/11

Star Plus

Is Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon 

9/12/11

Colors

Balika Vadhu     

6/12/11

Colors

Sasural Simar Ka   

7/12/11

Sony Entertainment TV

Bade Achhe Lagte Hain 

7/12/11

Star Plus

Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai  

7/12/11

Sony Entertainment TV

C.I.D.            

10/12/11

Star Plus

Pratigya  

7/12/11

tanthya thumbnail

Bhama,

Take A Bow ! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Even a numbskull like me  who never cares about TVR, TAM n what nots  felt educated with ur lucid explanation ...

haven't read fari's yet  ** Don't beat me, Fari * Now will go n read what she has said..

As for Marriage..I much, much prefer  ARHI to  grow into relationship and then marry rather than marry in haste, repent in leisure concept ...

With PAYASH securely installed in RM, thereby paving the way for constant  interaction  between the leads ..I feel the marriage can take place at a later stage..

Lovely post, Sindhu 😊
-Sush- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Nice post dear!!

TRPs do affect CV's thinking for sure...But the question is ...do they want IPKKND to be just another show with the same formula as has worked in the other shows or something different...?

While I do think that somewhere along the way Arhi should get married and the CVs can go into another arena...

However, I do think there is a lot of potential in the show before they get married...specially with PAyash alliance coming up... So,  if they take another 6 months or so to get there ...thats quite fine by me...

Just keep us entertained...I would rather not see everything to be about family politics...

Edited by MsUniverse - 12 years ago
SillyPepper thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I din't read completely πŸ˜† (Nahi! I read it! gud ground work!)

To hell with TRP's! mmm! Where s my curtain?!
Edited by cindrella255 - 12 years ago
stardust- thumbnail
Originally posted by: MsUniverse

Nice post dear!!

TRP afect CV's thinking for sure...But the question is ...do they want IPKKND to be just another show with the same formula as has worked in the other shows or something different...

While I do think that somewhere along the way Arhi should get married and the CVs can go into another arena...

However, I do think there is a lot of potential in the show before they get maried...specially with PAyash alliance no... So,  if they take another 6 months or so to get there ...thats quite fine by me...

Just keep us entertained...I would rather not see everything to be about family politics...

thank you sush! πŸ˜ƒ

yeah, sadly thats the truth.. trps affect the cvs and hence the highs and lows of the storyline.. they have to take the channel also into account, if it were just the show, it would have been smooth flow or progress good or bad..

somewhere down the line, yes! sure, what else will they be left with if the confessions are done?

EXACTLY my point! why rush into a marriage right NOW? save that for when there is this drastic dip or whatever... there are numerous attracting tracks that could mean numbers too.. think of arnav's past known to khushi, vice-versa, arnav battling out his new-found emotions, getting to know about shyam, the PayAsh angle et all...

@bold blue.. BINGO!!!!!
SillyPepper thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
TAM - Television Audience Measurement (Don't thank me😳)
stardust- thumbnail
googli ki bachchi πŸ€£