Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Samanalyse thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
@Mayu: You are welcome to think this is an extension of the den, if you want, in fact the format will probably end up something like that. But I would rather keep this thread neutral so people don't feel intimidated to come inside, as I know I did with the den at first. The den and this can co-exist and we can enjoy both. I hope you understand what I mean. 😊

@Swan: Oh yeah, baby! 😎

-Mayu- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
@Sam- Oh come on I mean As you say! But the Den will have its own effects on me=)

Lets see. I am sure everyone Denian will come. No one else is bothered to  analysis Old Epis😳

SO thinkg about it and Pm me! I will be a Less active this week and come for sometime only:( Gonna miss But Completions in head
Samanalyse thumbnail
EPISODE 1

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_WxEM7WmE[/YOUTUBE]

Let the analysis begin!

😃

Written Update (Credit to lilindiangurl13)

• The episode starts with alot of guys covered faces running after a girl and when they find her she asks one of them to forgive her and that it'll not happen again but they still kill her and she screams GEEETTT!!!!
  • In a courtyard a bunch of ladies are working and making masalas.
  • Then a lady asks where Geet is and Ranu comes and says that dont you think that there is something wrong with the masala and the other lady says its okay if there is something wrong but make sure nothing's wrong with Geet.
  • Ranu says dont worry god will take care of everything and then she says that first time a guy is coming to see her and that to from Canada and i hope they say yes.
  • Then paarji says they'll says yes but only after seeing her and where is she.
  • Ranu tells her that she went to college and paarji says why did she have to go to college if Daarji comes before her then they'll be trouble.
  • On the other side a bell rings and all the girls dressed in white and Blue come out and one girl runs out and another after her saying geet stop and geet says i cant today someone is coming to see me.
  • Then geet runs on the bridge where there are band people and she starts to dance with them.
  • After few minutes she leaves and runs through the market where she sees Rajji.
  • Geet goes behind her and imitates her mom and rajji gets scared and drops her food and turns around and see geet and goes back to eating golgappas.
  • Geet then asks her what wrong because she has tears and its not because of the golgappa and Rajji says she has a math test tomorrow and i found out today and didnt get to study at all now im definitely going to fail.
  • Then geet tells her that dont think too much or your hair will turn white and then she says that lodi is at night so study in the afternoon and then she says that i'll do all your work and then both of them ahead towards home.
  • Rajji gets home and she's going inside when paarji stops her and asks her where Geet is and rajji says how im i suppose to know i went to the tailor right after school because DollyBhabhi wants to get a suit fitted.
  • Then Dolly comes out and asks the tailor where his father is and he says that he wasnt feeling well so i came and the paarji says that if brij comes then he wont spare both of you and then says that if he doesnt make the tailor hang upside down then my name's not Ruchmainder and the tailor runs away.
  • Geet is running through the fields and then she reaches a scooter and calls out titu.
  • A small boy comes out and he tells geet that she 5 minutes late and geet says that its okay and then titu asks her if she remembers her promise and geet says i do but not today some other day.
  • Then titu gets sad and then geet says that you tell me something and i dont do it and then both of them get on the scooter and geet starts to ride it.
  • Then geet says that if someone sees us here then we'll be in trouble and we have to get home fast too and titu says because the Canadian guy is coming and geet says i dont want to go to Canada.
  • An old man and 2 other guys with him come to the temple and pray and then the old man sees ranjit and goes to him and says whats this i hear your daughter with someone and then he tells ranjit that its your fault and you should have keep an eye on your daughter and then he says that dont worry everything will be alright.
  • Then a lady comes to ranjit and asks him where he was and that she looked all over the place and says i cant find our daughter and daarji says go and save it before its too late and just as they both leave the mom sees a guy and stares at him and then goes and the guy goes and touches daarji's feet.
  • Then the guy says that i made him understand that either he lowers the price or else and other guy says brij i told you i'll make him understand and then he asks the guy behind him to go look for his sister and he says after what she did she cant be my sister.
  • Then Brij says that if Geet did this then what would you do chacha ji.
  • Geet's dupatta flies away and she goes behind the truck to get it and crashes into a the truck.
  • A guy comes out of his car and goes towards geet and says that wait i'll get your dupatta out and once he gets it out he sees them walking away and calls after geet but she still keeps going.
  • Geet and titu go towards the house while looking all around soo they dont get caught and on the other side brij is driving towards home with daarji and everyone.
  • Geet and titu are about to go in when the jeep comes in front of them and geet is shocked to see daarji and everyone else.
  • Then inside Daarji is hitting Geet's hand very hard with a stick and everyone is hurt and then he says that girls from this family dont go anywhere without a dupatta and your roaming around without one.
  • Geet says Daarji and daarji tells her to be qquiet and not to talk back and then titu says that its not Geet Di's fault and Brij says OYE and says who asked you to talk in between and titu says that she's getting punished because of me.
  • Then Brij says that shes a girl and she should know whats right and wrong and next time dont talk in between.
  • Then Daarji says your about to get married and your going to have to grow up but you and is about to hit her when a lady comes and says that the Boy's family is here and there in the guest house and Geet is crying and everyone else is sad watching her and the episode ends on her face.

PreCap:

• Geet comes out all dressed and the guy from the road is in front of her and his sister says that out loud and then she asks Geet if she was the lady they saw on the street.

Edited by Samanalyse - 12 years ago
Samanalyse thumbnail
WOW!

Can I just say I am so glad we decided to do this because I would have never watched that episode if I didn't feel like I had someone to report back to! 😕😆 There are so many nail biting moments that just made me want to skip all the tension and fast forward but I stuck it out because I knew we are all in this together.

First of all I want to make a disclaimer. I am not going to pretend I don't know what happens later in the story. We are analysing this in retrospect so if I see any foreshadowing of symbolism suggestive of what I know happens, then I will be sure to point it out.

The first scene is probably the first thing I would have skipped if I had a choice! It was horrific but beautifully done. I wonder who played Channi because she was just fabulous! Her fear was palpable and when the goons came up behind her and she screamed, I screamed with her! As she dies she calls out Geet's name and this is how we get introduced to our protagonist. I don't know if I should save this for later but I thought it was interesting that Channi was killed in the day, in a field which was domesticated land, while Brij attempts to murder Geet in the night in forest, which is untamed nature. Perhaps this could indicated that while Channi was fully aware and consciously made the decision that led to her murder, Geet was in the dark that she was committing her "sin" when she did it.

The art direction, camerawork and detail, setting of the scene is beautifully done. They use all the elements necessary to depict that this is an agricultural community. First we see fields, and a river, on which most agricultural communities depend for irrigation etc, and then the women making masala in their home. It is a communal environment where people are close to nature and depend on it for their livelihood.

The scene with the two women, Ranno and Brij's mother were really interesting. It paved the way for what was to come when Ranno prayed that the boy's family say yes. That's all. She didn't pray for them to be good people or for her daughter to be happy, just for them to say yes.

I LOVED that Geet's character was introduced at a college, where she had gone despite knowing that ladkewale were coming to see her. I also really loved that you could see hints of the Geet that she would later become already. She had that positive, never say die attitude when she told Rajji she would do all her work so she could study, she had that selfless want to help others, when she took Titu on the scooty and she tried to speak when Darjee was hitting her, already showing her instinct for justice.

The men of the family were incredibly interesting as well. While the women were introduced in the home setting, making food, and taking care of the practical aspects, the men were taking care of the spiritual and societal demands by going to the gurudwara, praying and meeting people there. No doubt, Darjee's lecture to Channi's father was infuriating but it established his character well. He blamed him for not bringing his daughter up the correct way. I also found Darjee's definition of marriage very interesting. He says that girls have to forget everything and become a part of their husband's family, that they have to maintain the values of what is right and wrong in society, within their house. This surprised me because it wasn't an entirely chauvinist description. It was according to a certain system that they are used to and they are not discounting the importance of women, in fact they are acknowledging that they have responsibility over the whole family. The writing is so balanced because Darjee is not completely wrong here.

The introduction of Dev. I was so excited by the symbolism I found here! 😃 He comes out of his car to give Geet back her dupatta, ie her honour but by the time he is able to give it to her it is too late and she has to face the wrath of Darjee. This is kind of like what happens over all. By the time the character repents, wants to find and help Geet, it is too late and she has already had to face the worst. Hence it shows that Dev is not the one to return her honour. 😉 This was again foreshadowed when the woman running in with the news that they arrived saves Geet from another blow but later she is even more in danger when Kamya gives her chicken-incident away. So I read this as the illusion that Dev will be able to save her from her family but in reality, he will only make her situation worse.

Brij is so darn scary! 😲 But again, I thought it was interesting that he said to Titu, that Geet is a girl and she has to know the difference between right and wrong. Only, his definition of right and wrong is very different from our's and well, the law's. Ironically, in the story Geet does show the difference between right and wrong, but in a way that Brij does not expect, accept or understand. I like that no character is blatantly negative, but complex in showing the variety of perceptions. All of them have motives.

I loved the episode from the aesthetics to the initial characterisation. It was all amazingly done!

Can I just say again that I am so glad we decided to do this? 😃
bluerose1889 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Wow Samana! Great analysis!

This is not the first time I'm watching this episode, but I somehow missed the symbolisms you mentioned, except for the duppatta scene with Dev.

Lily201 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

To be honest I caught up with the series from the 2nd epi-but earlier on this year I took a marathon ride of all the epis right from this first one -this might just be a half hour of the many,many hours that make up GHSP-the series,but it has a major role in forming its premise and stand as a contrast to how not only Geet evolved-but stood as epitome of light in the stark darkness of the conservative,restraining society she grew up in.

Truly,your heart clenched,mind cringed at poor Channi whose dark escapade in the crack of dawn amongst fields unknowingly drew you in the roots of Hoshiyarpur and made you desperately pray she'd escape from those in her hunt as she hid-only to be met by the masked men with scary talwars.

Her realization of who the head of the troup was (Brij) & that final shriek of help-Geet though she inevitably was ambushed,killed in the worst manner.

Amidst this encounter,the simple life of clean,fresh,pure rivers ,farms,a life of quietude -we were introduced to a very relatable girl -a girl like any of us ,yet living with constraints we never imagined- her hurry/haste in leaving,that innocent smile drew your affinity naturally and her impromptu bhangra made you adore her😳

Your mood was lifted from the horrofic encounter -you witnessed as you grew curious of the inhabitants of a plush Handa haveli -which was stringent in their womens' conduct ,where women fretted to live with a freedom we're accustomed to.

But their daily routine of a simple life with white pigeons flying here-there, crushing spices and homely chores along with the gossip of day's jobs aroused curosity,gave you a peek at dominant tai-ji Rupinder,timid conscientous Rano-Geet's mother,Brij's wife with a penchant for fashion though it was a sinful dream.

Then Geet's funny,sweet cousin cribbing of school's maths test-yet that faint fear of being withdrawn from school by Brij-veerji betrayed the shadow in which the girls lived.

While the patriarch though respected by all -upheld strong ,rigid views of having a "hold" over women & prided that they were kept under their thumb.
While his sons-the elder one was absorbed in leisures & hobbies singing gave and Mohinder(Geet's father) -was responsible for family business & land-held humanity,love above these rules-but lived under Daarji's set laws.

So the indication of Channi's "disappearance",lack of her brother's concern,Brij's kohled eyes with a hidden rage & Channi's mom's suspicion make it clear who killed her.

The first meeting with Dev -who deceivingly seemed like the knight in shining armour -as Geet & her handicapped brother Titoo -who Geet cared deeply about came out of the frolicking mode-to rush back home.

The way Geet suffered by Daarji made her plight ,her simple fear of losing her dupatta quite clear-really your heart went out to her.

While Daarji quite wrongly decided to talk of an 18 yr old's match with an NRI groom she had no choice in deciding & relied on a woman unworthy of trust

PS- That one line to Rajji -"agar sache man se raasta dhundo to koi bhi mushkil aasan ho jati hai" hit home regarding how Geet waged her upcoming battles 
Edited by Lily201 - 12 years ago
..CountingStars thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Analysis
Okay The Beginning Creeped Me Out😆 I Thought That Was Geet Ughhh I Sooo Wanted To Skip That!!!
And She Even Said "Geet!!" I THINK! My Mother,Sister Have Their Own Bakwaas On!😡 Can't Even Hear Anything!
The Music At Around 1:51 Is Aweshomeee
Ufff Now These Two Ladies!! So Some Guy Is Coming To See Her But Ran Says She At College. Yeh Doosri Lady Ko Kya Ho Gaya? Kamini Kahi Ki😆 And She Has A Big Mouth🤣 So What If DARJI's Gonna Come?😳 Main Hoti Toh Ek Punch Maar Ke Bhaag Jaati Aise Ghar Se😆
Awwwhhh!!!! Intro Of Geet😃 Shooo Cuteee!!!
At 4:00 And Onwards Haaayeee Music!!!
Even If I TRY Doing Bhangra It'll Come Out As Crap😆
Awwwhhh Rajji-Geet Duo😆 Sooo Cuteee!!
Ohh Yummyyy Gol-Gappes Paani-Puris Whatever They Are Yummyyy😛😛 I Want Someee!!!!😔
Ohh Goshh Rajji's Sooo Cuteee😆 Aur Ankhon Se Ansooo😆
Okay Now Jumping Onto Jalebis!!😆 Naam Jalebi Baiii
And😆 Yeh Kya Ho Raha Hai?
I Honestly Never Understood The Hoshiyaarpur Ka Drama! At That Time I Was HARDLY Interested...Maan Singh Khurana Ki Entry Ne Sabh Kuch Badal Diyaaa☺️☺️

WAIT!
I'll Edit Or Post Again After Watching 9:00 And Onwards😳 Thori Buzzyyy Hoon Main Abhi😳
nirvanica15 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
@Samana

Wonderful analysis, and agree with you, I am glad too that we are doing this...

Coming to the episode, I am not big on analysis, but here goes my short version...

This is the first time I am watching this episode, and knowing all what came after, did give a different perspective of the episode...
The introduction scene felt quite real and gave me goosebumps, the actress who played Channi was pretty good... And also the way Brij raises his sword is to behead the person like a sacrifice, coz of what she has done to the family, and not an intension to kill her personally...
So he feels whatever he has done is good in his mind...

Geets introduction scene shows her character, free spirit, dancing with the crowd, trying to help her sis and keeping the promise to her brother even though she knows she will get into trouble... I dont know , dont want to talk abt Dev knowing what he did to Geet and what happens later on I am not still in terms with that... May be after few episodes I can talk abt the Devil...
And the punishment scene was heart wrenching, may I say there are only few people who look good while crying and Drashti is one of them, she looks so innocent and pretty that one feels like hugging her and consoling her...
Actually I am looking forward to tomorrows episode, coz this would be the first time I would be watching all theseee

And Thanks for putting this together
priyachand thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

wow am i the first to respond to u? i usually wait for others to post before i dare to venture out, but this time i am too excited to wait for others. so sr devils pls excuse.

first let me reiterate my thanx for doing this analysis. as samana said i wdn't have watched it if not for this group effort! so thanx

d first epi was a very good intro of all chrs. d first scene was really vry dramatic. and Brij, by god, what an eye d actor has! his evil intent is so visible in d eyes. i cant evn say evil but shd i say fanatic fervour!

Drashti looked every inch an innocent punjabi girl who loves n respects her family. her body language when she walks without dupatta was so consistent with later similar scene (sorry i cdnt stop from refer to ti)

d ambience of punjabi village, respected rich family was so well laid.

@sam, ur symbolism of dev n dupatta was really spot on! dev really lookd every inch NRI guy. dat first scene of dev n geet (where she lowers her dupatta) was reallly good. nice intro scene.
Viji79 thumbnail
Wow, Samana, beautiful. No doubt it is a great decision we decided to do this retrospective analysis. I would come in only after Maan enters, because in reality I started seeing the show after Maan's entry and became a hardcore Maaneetian afterwards, so I cannot digest seeing Geet with Dev.