Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

Brand Gurti/Maaneet still sells in Market

jyoti06 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 12 years ago

I know many are here fighting for season 2 of Geet with Maaneet and GC-DD while many are confused with rumours doing the rounds regarding GC-DD signing separate shows ...but all I can say is that believe things only which r official on board and if actors sign new shows we will get official articles on them ...but till then we can cash on this following article which itself says Brand Gurti sells and even actors admitting it and so we can motivate ourselves to fight for season 2 by cashing on this article which is not coming from any birdie but from a reputed newspaper ...

So now its upto us whether we will believe this newspaper's words or random birdie news 😊

Here is the Article (Read the bold lines in between)

Popular small screen couples are the latest brand-building tools of advertisers, says Divya Kaushik

Toasty and Tej had an argument over the wall paint they should  do up their room with. For a change they were not discussing family conflict and were having a friendly duel. Likewise, Vikram and Neha finally got a piece of their own life, away from Ram Kapoor and Priya, and bought their new car. The two onscreen couples from Sony TV's popular series, Saas Bina Sasural and Bade Achche Lagte Hain, have been picked up by Dulux and Hyundai Eon to market their latest product line. Meanwhile, Priya herself was picked up by Boroline to advise viewers on skin care.

Advertisers are beginning to aggressively cash in on the familiarity of TV couples to influence household buying patterns in a sluggish economy. Though popular TV faces have been ripe pickings for endorsements for quite sometime, onscreen couples are being approached by marketers to promote their brand and connect with the masses not just as actors, but as characters from the serial. The reason: their on-screen chemistry, easy camaraderie and next door appeal easily percolates to the masses, women in particular, still the decision makers in the family and a potent force when it comes to household buying behaviour. And when it comes to targetting the middle class, there could be no better brand ambassadors.

Market logic

Companies are following the segmentation formula, whereby they identify a certain range of products from the same brand stable for promotion by TV stars. HCL computers successfully used Star Plus couples like Akshara and Naitik (Hena Khan and Karan Mehra) of Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai to convince viewers about availing a really cool Diwali deal in two separate advertisements. And Hindustan Tin Works recently picked Geet aka Drashti Dhami of Star One's Geet Hui Sabse Parayi to educate households and slum children about reusing product cans. Though the series has gone off air, Drashti is hot brand ambassador choice along with, as she corrects us, Maan aka Gurmeet Chaudhury. "People do not just see me as an individual but as part of the popular onscreen pair Maan-Geet. The serial has ended but I am still flooded with requests to appear in ad campaigns together with Maan and we will not mind doing a few if they are based on interesting concepts and if the product values match the values of the characters that we have together played on screen." With about 2,000 fan pages and women of all ages rooting for their return to TV or in a sequel, this couple has generated a buzz and is trending on social media platforms.

So why have TV star couples suddenly gone up in brand value?  Adman Prahlad Kakkar explains, "TV star couples come at a lower price than Bollywood star couples and are ideal fits for home brands, particularly those that concern themselves with social messaging, health, food, clothing lines, small cars, fitness, appliances and so on. They allow for a much greater spread of the product philosophy than Bollywood couples, who are usually used for boutique products rather than the assembly line." It is an established fact that celebrity endorsement can bestow unique features or special attributes upon a product that it may have lacked otherwise. Somehow, TV stars come shorn of that facade, they lend credibility.

Adds Gurmeet, who along with Drashti has won fan polls as the SRK-Kajol of the TV industry, "There could be no bigger honour than that comparison. I am happy that fans love to see us so much onscreen. In the end, be it Bollywood or Tellywood... if each individual does his/her work well individually in his/her professional capacity and you have a great story, then that is the chemistry that works on the masses."

Mass appeal

That chemistry is working as Indian TV matures and gets more realistic about its connect with the people. Characters have become more rounded, their conflicts are real and the viewer almost feels like a guest participant in each day of their onscreen lives. "The Eon ad that we did together was proposed to us by Sony, as the channel thought Tarana and me, featured as a middle class couple in Bade Achche Lagte Hai, would drive the message home. Our characters often discuss budgeting, kids' education and other financial problems like every other couple. So if we are endorsing a budget car, the consumer connects it with his affordability," says Jai Kalra aka Vikram.

Advertising research companies have found that TV actors bring reliability and trust to the brand and above all help in increasing sales revenues. Explains Atit Bhatia, senior vice president, Hindustan Tin Works and president, Canvironment week, "Drashti as an ambassador of this programme was a fantastic choice as scores of housewives participated just because they wanted to meet Geet. A bigger celebrity  wouldn't have done better. TV actors today are not just a name in India but have an equal recall value among NRIs."

Easy recall value

How does that happen? Courtesy the repeat telecasts and frequent teasers, even the most reluctant couch surfer, for whom serials are anathema, would chance upon a familiar face more than once. "Whenever people see a regular ad of the same brand on hoardings, they will think about the TV spot. Ravi Dubey (Tej) and I have become the face of Dulux paints. We enjoy an easy recall value," says Aishwarya Sakhuja, who plays Toasty.

You can gauge the popularity and connect of small screen actors by the fact that last year, consumers were eager to buy packets of Suhana phuljharis and Akshara anars. Small scale manufacturers have understood this appeal the best and have used it to their advantage. "Advertisers know TV actors at this point of time are a safe bet," says  Ragini Khanna, otherwise Suhana of Sasural Genda Phool.

A win-win situation

Though these latest campaigns were executed by the channels and their advertisers, the actors readily agreed because the ads were bringing them additional fame. "Actors in commercials appear as onscreen characters and not as individual stars. Still it shores up their star value. Actors have always been a medium for brand development by channels and endorsement by an onscreen couple is just one of the ways," says Sanjeet Saha, vice president, international business, Star Network.

Hena Khan, alias Akshara, is clearly basking in reflected glory. "After doing so many endorsements as Akshara, I've realised I have become a part of every family. Housewives relate to my ideal bahu character and feel I am part of their fraternity. So they would love to use the cream I use and try the tea they see me drinking on screen. Endorsing a brand helps the star step out of the boundaries of the serial and establish an identity that would help in his/her future career graph."

As television expands its reach and proves itself as an effective marketing tool, its stars seem to be making an impact on the knowledgable consumer who is becoming shy of big celebrity endorsements and cynical about a biggie's belief in something as basic as a pain balm.

Link:

Article Quotes the actress Drashti herself ...so I guess we can believe this more than anything else ...and if everyone in the market realises that GC-DD together sells as Maan-Geet and also r aware that fans r fighting for a new season which the article itself says ,shouln't we believe this and continue with our fight ??

We can actually send this article to star one people and show them what they lost and what they can actually gain again by getting a new season ...

So take this article as inspiration and keep the hallabol on 😳
Edited by jyoti06 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

--Saavi-- thumbnail
Thank you Jyoti for the much needed post,we should not give up fighting as they say "Its never over till its over"
maahifun thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

U R A SWEETHEART JYO.πŸ€—...HEARING IS NOT REALITY...BESIDES GURTI KNOW THAT THEIR BRAND VALUE IS MORE WHEN THEY ARE TOGETHER...SO I AM DAMN SURE THEY ARE INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO GIVE PRIORITY TO WORKING TOGETHER THAN SEPARATELY...GHSP GAVE THEM LARGER THAN LIFE CHARACTERS...

I HOPE THESE PANICKY FANS DON'T START MOPPING AND GIVE UP THE FIGHT FOR SEASON 2  πŸ€’

Edited by maahifun - 12 years ago
Beena_g thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Thank u Jyo for the much needed positivity post..n i will not stop fighting till  get confirmed news  from GURTI itself..
jyoti06 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 8
See there will many rumours flooding around regarding GC and DD from here on ...few days back birdies said GC will do cameo in a show ...then birdies said DD going to dubai with Mel and today birdies said GC and DD signing separate shows mayb ..

There r lots of news floating but we dunno the truth ...

As far as I think from my common sense ..both GC and DD might b getting offers from all but getting offers and signing them r two different things and both might take a month off for rest ...so they wont sign anything new for at least a month now ...and this gives us a months time to actually fight for season 2  😳
DDbiggestfan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thank u Jyoti di for d motivation to fight for season 2 πŸ€—
Hall bol...
roseinbloom thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Don't get strayed by few people who claim to know anything and everything guys! Stay positive and fight for the show .. this kind of negativity is only to distract us and nothing else.. Unless you hear GurTi saying "we've signed a new show" DO NOT BELIEVE IT PLEASE :)

And the article Jyo posted clearly shows that everyone .. even GurTi .. is aware the hype created after GHSP ended and how much they as a pair sell in the market!

And GC himself said he wants to rest for a while before doing anything so I highly doubt he's working elsewhere and neither is DD.. comeon guys GHSP JUST ended .. you think they'd sign a show the next day? Let's be realistic and not be affected by the negativity :)

Z
RiMa_972 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks Jyoti πŸ€— πŸ€—
This was very very much needed...everyone needs to get motivated and not lose hope, and support us in our relentless fight for season 2 with our fav jodi!

HALLA BOL for Season 2!!πŸ‘πŸΌ
RajeevGurtiFan thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
thanks..jyoti for making this post...
sometimes i wonder did ghsp's downfall happended because of these birdies...i mean i have never  seen any shows where there posts regarding actors leaves...shopping deatils blah blah etc...
i only believe the news when both gc-dd will confirm that have signed or i will see a article...regarding this...
ferdouz thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thank u Jyo for this sensible post. Hope people can stop believing in random birdies and look into logical articles. thanks once agin for inspiring us not to look back till we fulfil our mission to get back Gurti together onscreenπŸ‘
Hoping, Wishing and Praying that all our hard work and prayers are answered.
Inshaallah Gurti will be back with a bang.πŸ˜›