Book Talk

India-Forums

Book Talk
Book Talk

Giving your collection to other people (Page 2)

chhilt IF-Rockerz
chhilt
chhilt

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Beyond_the_Veil

Originally posted by cutemug

Hmmm, I really don't like giving my books to ppl (friends, relatives whoever it may be) for reading,
Firstly, all my books are dear to me, and (hope m not exaggerating) there are a few ones which I wont forget to take with me, even if m stuck in some calamity,LOL

Secondly, I think I would still hesitate giving my books to someone, who maybe takes good care of them, but m not sure...

I dunno, I might sound obsessed, but my every book is like a coin in a coin collection, unique and special to me in its own way, with its own set of memories attached to it,
So no, i would not give my books...to anyone Geek

What happens when they ask it directly to you - how do you say 'no'? LOL

It is so hard to say no! :/ Thankfully, no one I know is really into reading that much so they never ask LOL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Live.Love.Laughcutemug

cutemug Senior Member
cutemug
cutemug

Posted: 21 December 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chhilt

Originally posted by Beyond_the_Veil

Originally posted by cutemug

Hmmm, I really don't like giving my books to ppl (friends, relatives whoever it may be) for reading,
Firstly, all my books are dear to me, and (hope m not exaggerating) there are a few ones which I wont forget to take with me, even if m stuck in some calamity,LOL

Secondly, I think I would still hesitate giving my books to someone, who maybe takes good care of them, but m not sure...

I dunno, I might sound obsessed, but my every book is like a coin in a coin collection, unique and special to me in its own way, with its own set of memories attached to it,
So no, i would not give my books...to anyone Geek

What happens when they ask it directly to you - how do you say 'no'? LOL

It is so hard to say no! :/ Thankfully, no one I know is really into reading that much so they never ask LOL

True that! 
angelirebelli IF-Dazzler
angelirebelli
angelirebelli

Posted: 23 December 2011 at 6:08am | IP Logged
I absolutely hate, I repeat hate sharing or lending my books. I am obsessed that ways. 

I buy all my books first hand, not into used books. I would lend n share books earlier but the condition in which I would get them back, if I ever got them back, did it for me.I am very possessive of my collection. 

I love a clean book and keep them that way. Dislike dogeared, torn pages, roughed up covers, and manhandled books esp if they are mine. 

When people ask me for books, at risk of being and sounding rude,  I just say no.. I usually end up buying books for people who are close to me just coz I dont want to share my copy and they make fab presents..Wink
-Mystery- IF-Sizzlerz
-Mystery-
-Mystery-

Posted: 26 December 2011 at 1:00am | IP Logged
I am very apprehensive about letting someone borrow my books too. Especially because I take care of my books as if they're each a copy of Bible Embarrassed Which is why even a decade old books that I own are in a newly-bought condition. And I hate it when others don't take such care of my books. So I rarely let others borrow them.

One more reason why I LOVE my Kindle. You can share your ebooks without any such apprehension!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

cutemugcs-07

-GredForge- IF-Rockerz
-GredForge-
-GredForge-

Posted: 06 January 2012 at 7:42am | IP Logged
well my collection is not so big but what i have r my favs!! like harry potter, dan brown, dareen shan, vampire academy...
and i would rathere die than let any1 touch those! like u said, i am very proud to have these bks and never give them to any1! though i do take bks frm ppl!LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

MairaKhan1180

MairaKhan1180 Goldie
MairaKhan1180
MairaKhan1180

Posted: 13 January 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged
I like to keep my books just like the way I buy them so the answer to your question depends on the person I am going to lent it to, if I know they'll return it in the same position than I would. I cherish my books very much. 

Edited by MairaKhan1180 - 01 February 2012 at 6:20pm
Amara_B Senior Member
Amara_B
Amara_B

Posted: 01 February 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged

The only person I lend books to is my dad, because he's like me so I know the book will remain in good condition lol. I never lend my younger brother books because he absolutley mutilates them.

Arwen. IF-Sizzlerz
Arwen.
Arwen.

Posted: 03 February 2012 at 11:40pm | IP Logged
My hobby of reading novels started way back in 3rd or 4th class when I started raiding my cousin's library ... Of all the Famous Fives I read, most were borrowed from her and the rest i bought ... And when i grew up and got started on Nancy Drews and Hardy Boys.. the starting point was again the same cousin before i moved on to my school library LOL (btw .. from school library..we were only allowed to borrow one day a week... but because of me my friends also started reading these same novles so we would raid the library every DAY!!! .. i think we were the only bunch of 6th graders who had to be issued new library cards because the old ones were full LOL)
Point is... I can't say no if someone wants to borrow a book because well that's how i got started LOLLOLLOL

So yeh .. i don't mind it if someone wants to borrow a book from me because i do the same .. Lending my books to my best friends made them Harry Potter addicts ... another became a Lord of the Rings fan because i lent her my copy ... And oh.. i got started on Georgette Heyer because my friend lent me her copy of Regency Buck so there you go LOLLOLLOL

Have to say though ... free downloads of ebooks has made my life extremely easy LOL its not all that difficult to borrow and lend .. my IF friends and I exchange M&Bs and Harlequins and Silhouettes by the dozen now LOLLOLLOL

Go to top