Vidya Balan doesn't believe in size-zero

mandy0310 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 12 years ago

From a shy girl in "Parineeta" to a sex siren in "The Dirty Picture", Vidya Balan has portrayed different roles in her six-year-old career in Bollywood. And the actress is clear that she wants to be known for her roles and not just an individual.

"The legacy I want to leave behind is probably that I want people to know me for my roles and not as an individual. I want them to remember me for the kind of treatment I have given to every character of mine. I want to be known for the body of my work," said Vidya in the capital Saturday, attending the Hindustan Times Leadership Summit.

"I don't believe in picking big ticket films. I don't worry about getting typecast, it is not my concern. I have shown enough of range and variety in the films that I have done and will keep doing that," she added.

There was a time when the 32-year-old was criticised for her dressing sense and weight issues. But, the voluptuous actress, over the years, has proved that acting moves beyond the realms of size zero.

"I think women should celebrate their body and not hide. Women should look like women, they should be curvacious. I don't believe in size zero figure," she said.

And the actress, who is the talk of the town these days because of her bold avatar in "The Dirty Picture", says she tends to pick up roles she identifies with.

"I am a very emotional person at heart. I tend to connect with roles that touch my heart and soul. Every character of mine that I have essayed has taught me something new. It helps me to explore the new side of me. I like roles that are true and honest," she said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Vidya-Balan-doesnt-believe-in-size-zero/articleshow/10969642.cms

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mandy0310 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 8

Loved this interview, only makes me like Vidya more

U-No-Poo thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
And she only talks about it but actually looks like a beautiful, curvaceous woman, unlike the other women who look like stick figures yet claim to not endorse size zero. Edited by heroin. - 12 years ago
-iktaara- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Interesting interview but my only grudge with this interview is that why look down on big ticket films? She did it in the past and failed in it (Hey baby and Kismet Konnection) and now she thinks she is too good to be in it? Hypocrisy much? Anyways, to each to his own..
Her big ticket movies did not fail at box office, KK was an average and Hey baby was a big hit... bhool bhulaiya also did okayish at box office.. Parineeta had an a lister khan and it did well. Yes she was criticized in Hey baby and KK but its not like she totally hammed in those movies and she could have continued doing those roles when even after hamming in mainstream roles deepika and sonam still get offers.

Anyway, i would love to hear more from Vidya about how she chose a different route and delivered both at box office and won over the critics. When all our mainstream actresses are either failing at box office or just failing to give any rememberable performances at that time she is delivering on both fronts.
Edited by LaDy_GaGa - 12 years ago
-iktaara- thumbnail
^ Lady Gaga: I didn't say that the films are failed but she got lot of flak for it and that's why she chose the different career route. If she have done it then why look down at it? 

I personally feel she is doing great with her pace and roles..

Yes she did get flak for those movies. Anyway, its just refreshing for me to see an offbeat actress boasting a little about her success. Usually when i think of an offbeat actress the image of box office flops, tabu and critics awards come to my mind. πŸ˜† Here is someone who got good box office too.. and in her words she is saying SCREW YOU!! to all the mainstream actresses.. its a refreshing sight for me. πŸ˜†

-iktaara- thumbnail
But I have never considered her as offbeat actresses. She was in commercial since the time she started but she changed her career route and made a name for herself through performance oriented roles. But I still think she will be like Tabu in future years who only critics will reminisce and aam junta will forget and move to those gori babes..:) 

^^ But she has been luckier than Tabu in her offbeat movies, tabu was a flop queen in her final years. Vidya has two major box office successes this year-- NOKJ and TDP. Vidya is even beating the mainstream actresses at box office, i have never seen this happening before. πŸ˜†

stars4u thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: LaDy_GaGa

^^ But she has been luckier than Tabu in her offbeat movies, tabu was a flop queen in her final years. Vidya has two major box office successes this year-- NOKJ and TDP. Vidya is even beating the mainstream actresses at box office, i have never seen this happening before. πŸ˜†

agree with u... in case of tabu she got only critical acclaim in offbeat movies and hit only in commercial movies but vidya has got both in commercial cinema... 

i dont consider vidya as offbeat actress she is more of commercial actress in which she got both box office hits and critical acclaim ...ishqiya, NOKJ, TDP i consider them as commercial movies not offbeat ...out of 13 films she had done 8 movies are either hits, blockbuster or semi hits...
Edited by stars4u - 12 years ago