•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago

Somy Ali

After turning journalist and taking up social issues in America, one-time Bollywood actress Somy Ali has now turned filmmaker after her recent attempt at making a documentary on the life of the now-famous Mukhtaran Mai, the Pakistani

woman who was punished by a 'village council' in Pakistan by subjecting her to a gang rape. The gutsy Mai gathered global attention when she dragged her rapists to court and was granted justice and monetary compensation, which she distributed in charity.

On 20th January, Mai was invited by the United Nations, who called her 'The Bravest Woman On Earth', to give a speech but it was cancelled it at the last minute since the Pakistan Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz was at the UN the same day and the organizers didn't want to embarrass him.

Mukhtaran Mai

The US-based group Asian-American Network Against Abuse of Human Rights (ANAA),which Somy is actively a part of, has been supporting Mukhtaran's cause. Somy was placed in charge of filming Mukhtaran while in the US and also being her interpreter, since Mukhtaran cannot speak English.

Says Somy about the experience, "It was very enriching. We took her (Mukhtaran) to the Glamour magazine office since they want to do a feature with her next year.

After that, it was NASDAQ where she gave the closing bell. Following that, we went to the IWHC (International Women's Health Coalition) gala where we met dignitaries like UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan and actress-activist Glenn Close," reveals Somy.

The next day, Somy accompanied Mukhtaran Mai to Las Vegas for a fundraising event. Somy says, "Over there, I was there in the capacity of being a spokesperson for ANAA and a translator to Mukhtaran." Somy was also on the discussion panel along with Mukhtaran, answering questions from the audience.

From Hindi films to social and human rights issues to filmmaking, Somy is quite happy with the changing sequence of events in her life. "I'm proud of my stint in the Hindi film industry and that was my priority then. Today, it's something else. I have to find meaning in what I do and right now, this is what is of primary significance to me."

Somy's film on Mukhtaran can soon be seen on ANAA's official website.