Artists: Emotional or imaginative!?!

Posted: 18 years ago

I don't know if this topic is a debatable topic, but it was going through my mind for a long time, so I wanted to say it.

"Artists are very emotional"

I have heard this phrase/dialogue/line/whatever so many times, that I wonder sometimes that if it is even true or has it just become a simple phrase?

The reason, I think it has little meaning. How an artist can be sadder than a person who lost all his business in fraud or happier than a person who's both wife and child survived, or than a father who found his son alive after four day search under the school building's rubble.

It is true that artist (including, actors, painters, poets, writers, etc) that they have emotions, but when they come on TV and say that artists are close to nature,  near to God, they can express their sadness and happiness in a better way. They can portray common man's feelings better then the common man.

I object!! How can they do that? Why do they say that the abstract art they make shows the conflicts of a human being or of the world? How can a poet tell a story of a beggar in his poems, when he himself is sitting in his air conditioned room?

Jaab tak experience na kiya ho, you can never understand the true feelings.

What Artists make, write, act, portray is their imagination, it is not emotions. Emotions are based on reality, and imagination is fiction.

Actually i think they are imaginative as well as emotional.. If we look at shakespeare.. what he did was took the old wrks and put into his own words nd why do we like his works more than the ones he copied.. why?? He used his imagination to make his plays some what more interesting but what the thing that attracts us.. why does it touches our heart when we read the love story of Romeo and Juliet... Don u think there is something called as emotional feeling mixed in all that which attracts us 🤔 Only that person can write kinda stuff who has actually suffered thru all that..u r rite here..
actually u noe wats the difference bw a common man and artist( i m jst talkin abt a poets and painters and riters here)... An artist is the one who can put his feelings on a piece of paper and can show it to the world that yes... this wat u call pain ...u must have heard these lines of shakespeare: 

To be or Not to be
        Whether Tis nobler in the mind
        to suffer the slings and arrows of
        Outrageous fortune Or
        To take arms against a Sea of troubles
        and by opposing end them

Do u think he actually wanted to commit suicide after bcumin a star in england.. probably not( probably). i think jo zulm sehne wala hota hai wo unh karwi yadon ko kabhi ek kagaz ke tukre pe likh kar apne seene ke paas rakhne se katrata hai... orr jo usse tadapta dekhta hai(like poets) wo uske dard ko zyada samjh sakta hai orr usse likne mein bhi usse koi takleef nahi hoti..

i forgot if i agreed wid ur statement or disagreed 😆     Edited by heart girl - 18 years ago
great topic will get into details later . But briefly most great artists ususally have faced tragedies and many difficulties in their life . Half of them don't even get recognition in their life time .So its easy for them to hav e such strong emotions in their art/ creative work . I will cite examples later !!

Ok ..well just like heart girl I dunno if im gonna agree or disagree with wht ur saying, Saba di...lolz

But like heart girl...I think artists are emotional and imaginative. One day they might just be sitting infort of a canvas and decide to paint something, because they see wht they want to paint in their head. Or one day maybe the artist..went through some tough things ..I unno wht ..but something unfortunate lets say ..he/she can make a panting on how he/she feels.

And ..di ..u gave a example of poets. You said how can they about beggers whn they are sitting in AC room ..well that doesn't happen all the time. Wht about the ppls in the old days? The days whn there was no AC?  Doesn't poetry come from the heart?  Whn writing poetry I dun think it would matter if u have experienced wht ur writing about or not.

Edited by meghavi - 18 years ago

Originally posted by Aparna_BD

great topic will get into details later . But briefly most great artists ususally have faced tragedies and many difficulties in their life . Half of them don't even get recognition in their life time .So its easy for them to hav e such strong emotions in their art/ creative work . I will cite examples later !!

but doesn't every person strugle in life, arent' we all struggling? then why artists are only considered more emotional then anyone else.

art/peotry is just the way they express their emotions, we have our own ways. so why they are considered more emotinal?

Ms. BB ur avatar xactly suits ur comment 😆 jk .. sry, just for fun 😉 😛 😊

Originally posted by heart girl

Ms. BB ur avatar xactly suits ur comment 😆 jk .. sry, just for fun 😉 😛 😊

lol

see, I am expressing my emotions in my style. can Shakespear show emotions like this??

Originally posted by Ms. Bholi Bhali

It is true that artist (including, actors, painters, poets, writers, etc) that they have emotions, but when they come on TV and say that artists are close to nature,  near to God, they can express their sadness and happiness in a better way. They can portray common man's feelings better then the common man.

I object!! How can they do that? Why do they say that the abstract art they make shows the conflicts of a human being or of the world? How can a poet tell a story of a beggar in his poems, when he himself is sitting in his air conditioned room?

Hey I think this is being a bit unfair! How is that different from all of us sitting with our feet up and clicking away at the key board with views on POWs, BlueStar, Rape victims.. do any of us have first hand experience? but that does not make us incapable of empathizing. And you can do that best only when you mind and heart stirs at life's nuances. Artists are  more intune with their emotions because their work is inspired by it. Their creativity draws on what they see and what they feel.

I think artist are both!

They sometimes show there emotions through art in a very imaginative way!

And i also agree with mist! 😆
Originally posted by Ms. Bholi Bhali

I don't know if this topic is a debatable topic, but it was going through my mind for a long time, so I wanted to say it.

"Artists are very emotional"

I have heard this phrase/dialogue/line/whatever so many times, that I wonder sometimes that if it is even true or has it just become a simple phrase?

The reason, I think it has little meaning. How an artist can be sadder than a person who lost all his business in fraud or happier than a person who's both wife and child survived, or than a father who found his son alive after four day search under the school building's rubble.

Jaab tak experience na kiya ho, you can never understand the true feelings.

What Artists make, write, act, portray is their imagination, it is not emotions. Emotions are based on reality, and imagination is fiction.

I disagree with the statement "Artists are emotional" in the sense that they are very sad people who have experienced great tragedy in life.

NO they have not. Some artists definitely have, but not all.

However, "Artists are emotionally sensitive" - they are highly sensitised to other's feelings, they observe others and they feel. There is a subtle difference between being emotional and being conscious of other's feelings.

To convey pain, an artist often places him/herself in the situation of others and then writes, acts, paints, films.

Fiction is almost always rooted in reality. Even the best fantasy novel finds roots in reality - the theme always conveys a larger/universal meaning. An artist is just a person who uses the right words, actions, colours, techniques to depict the emotions of a common man.

A story which YOU find touching is always something that the artist has written from their heart. If they dont feel it, then you dont feel it. Simple.