Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

reima thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
I agree- violence against women or anyone for that matter when depicted by the media is not a good message; I think though that Arnav will apoplogise- as he is shown to be a cultured person not really given to violence. The one who worries is Shaymless who is shown as abusive and one who victimises people for his own cause. For example, the way he beat the rickshaw fellow or the cyclist in one of the earlier episodes and then the way he abuses Bauji- violence can be from men and women to those who are weak ; and what of Buaji who is commiting psychological abuse against Khushi. Edited by reima - 12 years ago
DiyaS thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
I do agree with you, TM ... a suggestion - I think the title of your post should be Stop Glorifying Domestic Violence ... rather than Stop Showing Domestic Violence.

It's ok to show domestic violence - or any violence - on a tv show in my opinion, AS LONG AS you don't condone it at all ... showing Shyam mentally torturing Shashi - although it's sickening to watch, the villain is doing it, so the message is clear, THIS IS WRONG, it's pathetic behaviour, it's disgusting etc., etc ...

But when the "hero" of the show indulges in behaviour like manhandling the girl he supposedly loves, or releasing his frustrations on a servant, there are so many people ready to defend that behaviour just because he is the hero ... so his reasons are justified regardless of how wrong the actions are ...
In my opinion, his frustrations could be shown in a different way and equally effectively  - show him using some physical release for his frustrations - let him use a punching bag, go for some hard physical activity, hit a few squash or tennis balls - the guy is rich enough to set up a private gym, isn't he?  And as for hurting Khushi, he could manage to hurt Khushi by accident rather than design, and still be equally apologetic about it ... like the guest house incident ... it was not by design, and he was still devastated.

the fact that there are people ready to defend his actions is disturbing, to say the least. This post should be read by the cv's ... the hero may be an anti-hero, but be careful about the message going out ...
Mitrashakti thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: DiyaS

I do agree with you, TM ... a suggestion - I think the title of your post should be Stop Glorifying Domestic Violence ... rather than Stop Showing Domestic Violence.

It's ok to show domestic violence - or any violence - on a tv show in my opinion, AS LONG AS you don't condone it at all ... showing Shyam mentally torturing Shashi - although it's sickening to watch, the villain is doing it, so the message is clear, THIS IS WRONG, it's pathetic behaviour, it's disgusting etc., etc ...

But when the "hero" of the show indulges in behaviour like manhandling the girl he supposedly loves, or releasing his frustrations on a servant, there are so many people ready to defend that behaviour just because he is the hero ... so his reasons are justified regardless of how wrong the actions are ...
In my opinion, his frustrations could be shown in a different way and equally effectively  - show him using some physical release for his frustrations - let him use a punching bag, go for some hard physical activity, hit a few squash or tennis balls - the guy is rich enough to set up a private gym, isn't he?  And as for hurting Khushi, he could manage to hurt Khushi by accident rather than design, and still be equally apologetic about it ... like the guest house incident ... it was not by design, and he was still devastated.

the fact that there are people ready to defend his actions is disturbing, to say the least. This post should be read by the cv's ... the hero may be an anti-hero, but be careful about the message going out ...

Thanks for your thoughtful comments and yes glorifying is a better use of words. I will edit the title.
Mitrashakti thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: reima

I agree- violence against women or anyone for that matter when depicted by the media is not a good message; I think though that Arnav will apoplogise- as he is shown to be a cultured person not really given to violence. The one who worries is Shaymless who is shown as abusive and one who victimises people for his own cause. For example, the way he beat the rickshaw fellow or the cyclist in one of the earlier episodes and then the way he abuses Bauji- violence can be from men and women to those who are weak ; and what of Buaji who is commiting psychological abuse against Khushi.

Thanks for the comments dear. Yes, he might apologize...but it definitely does not make it alright. The damage is already done.
geetmaanluv thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: anusarkar

Well, I cannot describe passion as manhandling ,yelling pushing a girl. I am sorry I cannot buy it. And about complaning to the Broadcasting Network...I won't if there is a change in his behavior and he apologizes. I am lawyer who deals with domestic violence cases and I cannot see television abusing its rights. 

im sure he will apologize and more than make up for it. im sure he will be the one to save her from shyam as well ðŸ˜ƒ i still think they did not show domestic abuse. arnav and khushi are a diffrent couple i mean he manhandles and grabs she shoves him and burns him. i think they are sadomasochistic not abusive. 

ps. i dont mean offense to ur views. ur not wrong in ur point of view i just dont see it soo seriously i guess... 
Edited by geetmaanluv - 12 years ago
bikerider thumbnail
aww you are so right dear,   i so many times do think how i tolerate ASR
if it was a real life scenario then it would have been a serious issue.
he really has a bad past, scared of loving,  bang on  he treats kushi and servants so badly
a hopeless case 😡

then i console and say that he is a fictional character so waiting for the day he will change. because as this is a drama  it has to have highs and lows and lead lady has to change her man right. and he has changed.

And one more point is he is not bad from inside its just that he has built a harsh cover so to save himself from emotional hurt , he is actually scared of himself .

I would say that CVs have done a great job
ArshiLover thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: anusarkar

Your views are welcome dear. 

Krani thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
I understand where you are coming from, that the women are typically shown to be weak and the men fairly stronger. 
But if you have watched some of Ekta's shows, then you would see that the CVs of this show are doing a far better job of portraying a woman's character as compared to some other shows.

As for portraying her to be weak, that's what her character is based upon. Respecting and following her elders. While in the modern society, the views are that you should stand up for what you believe in, there are still some traditional families out there who do not necessarily enforce this rule. So the CVs have probably taken a character based upon some of those people...So don't say that her character is unrealistic, because there are people out there like this. As for the show, especially Indian serials, they tend to exaggerate everything. From emotions to passion (songs). So i guess to show that Khushi is an obedient girl, who follows what people tell her, is shown by her staying quiet throughout.

While I haven't exactly watched the show from the start, so I can't confirm this, but I am sure there might have been instances when Khushi would have stubbornly done something? If she really was a mousy scared little girl, she wouldn't have had the courage to stand up for some of herself at some points?

Also, right now what they are showing Arnav's character to be is that he is a frustrated guy, who gets angry quickly, and lashed out on people. If he really was someone who abused women, he wouldn't have stopped from raising a hand on his grandmother (who has scolded him many times), or his sister (who has questioned him many times). Remember the episode when the little kids came into his room and destroyed his model? If he was an abusive person, he wouldn't have hesitated in hitting them, or throwing them out. 

What they are trying to show is that he is a guy with anger problems, but they also show that he has a good heart, by showing the regret afterwards. 

I think what's angered you most would have been today's episode and how he reacted. Sure it was to an excess, but I am still glad that the CVs aren't changing his character so drastically and so suddenly that it's hard to even imagine. I am sure some change would come by, however it will be gradual.

It's your decision now to stick on and watch the change, or give up :)

Also, I saw in some of your posts that you were threatening people that you are a lawyer and they shouldn't post some things on your thread? Sorry, but they are also just putting forth their views, whether in a mocking tone, or an understanding tone. I personally don't think you should play the lawyer card to people just like that...

Edited by sweetdamage - 12 years ago
HeadOverHeels thumbnail
I want to start by saying that in NO way should women (on and off this forum) think a man grabbing you to get his point across/release his frustrations etc. is ACCEPTABLE at ANY point. As for those blaming the woman (and in this case an 18 year old girl) for SEEKING him out, and not leaving when he asks... please know that again it is NEVER acceptable for a man to use brute force. It screams nothing but weakness, because 1) He cannot find words to express himself or 2) He is afraid to use words to express himself and 3) His need to be in control is driving him to be physically overpowering... Again, it's wrong, regardless. And, btw... An apology or 20 apologies mean nothing, if the same thing happens over and over again.

ASR derives no pleasure from inflicting pain, and he regrets it almost immediately. His biggest problem seems to be his inability to stay in control around KKG. So, last night when he grabbed her, then pushed her away, it seemed a bit different... The look on his face... He wasn't able to hold on to his anger... not the physical part anyway. 

So, yes this IS his character, but I'm relieved to see changes coming about. I would however like to see KKG stand up for herself more. I'm getting tired of her scared expressions. If we want television to portray decent, non-violent men, then we should also demand they show strong, liberated women, who are able to stand up for themselves.
Krani thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Originally posted by: HeadOverHeels

I want to start by saying that in NO way should women (on and off this forum) think a man grabbing you to get his point across/release his frustrations etc. is ACCEPTABLE at ANY point. As for those blaming the woman (and in this case an 18 year old girl) for SEEKING him out, and not leaving when he asks... please know that again it is NEVER acceptable for a man to use brute force. It screams nothing but weakness, because 1) He cannot find words to express himself or 2) He is afraid to use words to express himself and 3) His need to be in control is driving him to be physically overpowering... Again, it's wrong, regardless. And, btw... An apology or 20 apologies mean nothing, if the same thing happens over and over again.

ASR derives no pleasure from inflicting pain, and he regrets it almost immediately. His biggest problem seems to be his inability to stay in control around KKG. So, last night when he grabbed her, then pushed her away, it seemed a bit different... The look on his face... He wasn't able to hold on to his anger... not the physical part anyway. 

So, yes this IS his character, but I'm relieved to see changes coming about. I would however like to see KKG stand up for herself more. I'm getting tired of her scared expressions. If we want television to portray decent, non-violent men, then we should also demand they show strong, liberated women, who are able to stand up for themselves.

Of course it's not acceptable. That guy should have some sense smacked into his head!
But if this for the people who are trying to justify his actions, then I think the reason they are doing it because they know there is some change that's going to happen in ASR. Everyone knows that he is just afraid to open up, and Khushi will eventually get there...Plus, it's fiction :)

However, if this was happening in real life, then I am sure a lot of people here wouldn't hesitate in standing up for themselves :) I would be behind all of them with a danda in hand to give the men a taste of their own medicine ðŸ˜†