Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

madhu_sridhar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: nishkala

Madhu...I started reading your post earlier but then gave it up mid way...thought a lot ,came back and again tried to read it...again I am not able to reach the end ...So Sorry!

The reason is simple...Deepak is not the first father to take loan or VRS for his daughter's marriage,My father also did the same 😭.!!  People often tell me that marriage happens once in our lifetime and we should enjoy each and every thing without thinking too much,but how can a girl enjoy her marriage when she knows the efforts her parents have put in...efforts which is never appreciated by the groom's side!..Luckily my husband is a well qualified gentleman who returned half of the money but Anant can never do such a thing...How pathetic!👎🏼

I hate it when people waste food served to them during the marriage,because they think it is free...is it really free?Do they know the amount of efforts spent on it...
Costly outfits which are never worn again in our lifetime,are purchased
Jewelery /Utensils / Flowers /Fruits ...everything is bought in tons.
all I can say is..In- laws are the only buyers in the world who don't pay a penny for their purchase!

Not a probs Nish, i can understand😊...yours must have been a three-day ritual, i guess...every time i attend a wedding, my eyes will always linger on the bride's side...seriously, they are a tensed lot...and the whole Bidaai thing is laden with layers of emotions...it speaks a lot about the responsibilities parents have taken up and how much they've sacrificed, only to bid goodbye to their girl and live under the apprehension as to how she will adjust in a new place...and IMO,full blown marriage equals tons of wastage...
@ blue: buyers and purchase is too big a word, Nish...they just enjoy it free of cost...lottery!!!

And can Anant really help Deepu...financially???...for all i know, he'll end up in Geeta Publications...and can he really manage to get hold of the money there...?? doubtful, like you said...

Edited by madhu_sridhar - 12 years ago
Preet078 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Madhu ...Brilliant post ...very well written d reality of Indian Marriage ...

Meh cousin getting married next month ...first time i involved so much in  preparation for any marriage ...i really surprised to see d guest list (i never listen even d name of most of relatives even meh cousin too ),gifts ..list is endless ...Meh uncle ready to spend each n every penny of his life on marriage not  bcoz groom side demands but just to show off ..n realized others dat he loved her daughter ...I never felt sorry for meh uncle not bcoz  he do all dis for his name sake in our khadhan ,,I felt sad for meh father who never believe in dis things but  i c tension in his face from last few days  for meh marriage  ..but thnx to meh mother who made him    understand dat  ,..grand marriage not equal to happiness of ur daughter ...n I told meh parents too dont worry about meh marriage either i elope😉 or marriage to person who n his family not demand a single penny ...
I know he is still in tension but one thing i know for me d most important  dey taught me dat  much i  earn something ...dats more than enough ...for me .n for sure dat person too whom i will selects a meh life partner ...
madhu_sridhar thumbnail
Originally posted by: pixiegirl

Great post Madhu, you've captured beautifully the circus that the whole Indian wedding has been reduced to. The actual wedding ceremony itself, on the mandap, has become a pathetic sideshow during this grand affair, with hardly anybody witnessing it. Everything else is in the forefront. 

It really sickens me to see the extent Indians go to in the name of showing off, each one trying to beat the other. That's all people care about, bragging rights, w/o once thinking about the consequences of these ridiculous expenses. How many poor people could have been fed, clothed, & housed in the fraction of the amount spent on these weddings?? 

And the worst thing is even after spending such huge amounts of money, the happiness of the bride or even the couple is not assured.

When will our society change, if ever, I wonder.

@ bold: Marriages are, like how Navya is these days...hero and heroine (read bride and groom) are sidelined and its full on family drama (read relatives, guests)...and you brought out another valid point...'each one trying to beat the other'...when the bride's mother flashes her gold necklace, the groom's mother will outplay her by wearing a diamond necklace...and this competition exists within families too...if your brother's daughter marries an IIT graduate, then you'll go one step ahead and make sure your daughter ties the knot with a Harvard graduate...even more better, right...

@ blue:You summed up the end result of all this, wonderfully...isn't this the case with AnYa too??...reports of tension building b/w them have already started to surface...in every aspect, i see Deepak  being the worst hit, mentally and financially...

madhu_sridhar thumbnail
Originally posted by: TheRoopsy

you have penned down the Indian wedding so perfectly form head to toe...literally it has been turned down to a circus by the people of the society...why can't they let two people marry without all this pomp and show? I guess they never will...you made me remind one of my articles I wrote after my sister's wedding...its titled "Band, Baaja, Baraat"😛

@bold: your last sentence told it all...' i guess they never will'...our society is just too deep-rooted in all this pomp n show...Band, Baaja, Baraat indeed😛...your article just took me to the movie😊...Imagine, if two youngsters who are new to this whole wedding planning business can rake in the moolah, it just goes on to tell how much money is invested in arranging a marriage...wedding planning is a mini-industry in itself...
thanx for the great reply Roops😊
madhu_sridhar thumbnail
Originally posted by: mridula.shome

Madhu, a great eye opening post from you. Take a bow.
Well I knew things were quite difficult in a wedding. But I didn't expect things were such annoying too. I was not closely involved with any bride's side.
One thing is for sure, either I'll bear all costs of my wedding or have a simple marriage at the registrar office followed by a reception or not marry at all.

@ bold: believe me, they are...there's still years to go before my marriage...but my parents have already started worrying, big time..and i just told them to put aside all this nonsense and declared that i'll marry in a temple or not marry at all ( hi-fi on that )...and when i said that last bit about not getting married, my grandma went into a rant about how girls have become too strong-headed and egoistic these days...i really don't know why elders find it so difficult to trust our judgement when it comes to getting married...even the elders in a girl's family want her to bear with all the atrocities...
madhu_sridhar thumbnail
Originally posted by: cuttiee

nice post...

thanx a lottt😊..and congratz 👏...i just noticed that you've become IF-Rockerz...great job...
madhu_sridhar thumbnail
Originally posted by: nicky99

Hey madhu! 

You've jotted down completely everything on how Indian weddings are like. How the ladki walahs go through an emotional turmoil and bow down to every wrong/right thing asked by the ladka walahs. 
All the glitters and jitters associated with each side. Won't write much about it. You've already written everything 😊
And yes, I believe that it will not be OK if Deepak accepts the money offered by Om because that will suppress Navya's side even more. Already Om and the rest of the elders think Navya's family to be on the weaker side. I don't want Deepak to feel more shameful than he already feels. 😔

Like you, my heart goes out to Deepak...the loonies will get back to him for the Kanpur fiasco...already you have Miss.Acid Tongue bad-mouthing Navya for falling in love with Anant and plunging head-first into a love marriage...and they have purposely preponed the wedding to make matters worse for Deepu...if he accepts the money, i'm really not sure if he can stand all the insults..i wouldn't be surprised if the loonies decide to go public and make him feel shameful...
thanx for the cool reply, Nikcy😊
madhu_sridhar thumbnail
Originally posted by: Preet078

Madhu ...Brilliant post ...very well written d reality of Indian Marriage ...

Meh cousin getting married next month ...first time i involved so much in  preparation for any marriage ...i really surprised to see d guest list (i never listen even d name of most of relatives even meh cousin too ),gifts ..list is endless ...Meh uncle ready to spend each n every penny of his life on marriage not  bcoz groom side demands but just to show off ..n realized others dat he loved her daughter ...I never felt sorry for meh uncle not bcoz  he do all dis for his name sake in our khadhan ,,I felt sad for meh father who never believe in dis things but  i c tension in his face from last few days  for meh marriage  ..but thnx to meh mother who made him    understand dat  ,..grand marriage not equal to happiness of ur daughter ...n I told meh parents too dont worry about meh marriage either i elope😉 or marriage to person who n his family not demand a single penny ...
I know he is still in tension but one thing i know for me d most important  dey taught me dat  much i  earn something ...dats more than enough ...for me .n for sure dat person too whom i will selects a meh life partner ...

@ bold: first of all, a round of applause to your parents...👏...i guess fathers are always pretty impulsive and mothers always run along with them, making them understand things ..my family is no different...dad launches into his worries and mom will take up the mantle of  injecting some sense into him...and i nod in agreement to your mom's words...whats the point in spending  so much money when, at the end of the day, your happiness is nothing but a mask ??...

@ blue: i'm waiting for that fine day, when the guy and his family, will accept the girl for what she is and no what she or her family has...
Thanx for the awesome reply, Preet😊