•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago
From TOI Archives : Tiger Pataudi's untold tale

Pause a moment to flashback over some of the other couples who've graced Rendezvous, from the giggly Sushmita Sen... to an ill-at-ease Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan... even the usually dignified Shobha De amazed us by doing ghus-phus with Simi from behind Dilip De's head.

Sharmila and Pataudi were gracious, natural, straightforward and class with a capital C. But this little story is not about that. It is about the programme hostess herself It is a delight to watch Simi bring one rare couple after another and pass them over burning coals; but in this particular episode, Simi seems to have forgotten to mention her own little real life rendezvous with Pataudi.

Once upon a time, long before Sharmila came on the scene, Simi and Pataudi were a number. He was nuts and bolts over her; with her class and style, she fitted to a tee (or should that be wicket?) his ideal of a perfect begum and the cricketing circle was waiting for him to name the date of their wedding. But just then, fate came a knockin' and Pataudi and Sharmila met. Lightning struck. They were made for each other, everybody could see that. Simi included. She had no objections, there were enough of young men trailing her and she was certainly not going to lose sleep over one dropout.

So imagine how surprised she was when one evening her doorbell rang and the butler led in a sheepish looking Mansur (Simi always called him Mansur, never Pataudi or Pat). He hammed (!) and hawed a bit, refused the cool lemonade she offered and then finally he burst out with it, I'm sorry but I want to make it clear it is over between us; I've met someone else. Simi did not dignify his confession with absolution, she changed the conversation and offered him some more lemonade. He refused and said he had to go, and literally rushed out, telling Simi insistently that there was no need for her to see him to the elevator. But Simi's propah' upbringing wouldn't allow that, and she went out with him, despite all his no-no-no.

That's how Simi saw what she did - Sharmila curled up on the steps near her elevator. Poor Pat. He put all his energies into pressing the elevator button frantically. The two women looked at each other long and hard, Simi with her raised eyebrows, Sharmila with her dimple. Not a word was said. None was needed. The elevator had arrived.

Edited by desigal90 - 12 years ago
Reminds me of Rekha who spent all her life longing for Amitabh
[quote]That's how Simi saw what she did Sharmila curled up on the steps near her elevator. Poor Pat. He put all his energies into pressing the elevator button frantically. The two women looked at each other long and hard, Simi with her raised eyebrows, Sharmila with her dimple. Not a word was said. None was needed. The elevator had arrived.[/quote]

lol ...all's well that ends well 😆
That last part made me burst out laughing!
But kudos to Simi for brining her ex and his wife together on the show. I mean even though its years later, that's still strange and awkward.

Tiger and Sharmila's love story is actualy quite similar to Kareena and Saif's, only not AS complicated.
Nice story. LOL @ the elevator scene. ðŸ˜†
Never knew Pataudi and Simi were together before!

Awkard elevator moment 😆
Simi with her raised eyebrows, Sharmila with her dimple. Not a word was said. None was needed. The elevator had arrived.

Ahahahah. Whoever wrote this...applause!!. 😆
Made me laughh.
Aww thats so sad and unfair...poor Simi!
oh wow, the past stories of the glamour world are definitely more interesting then the present ones lol.