momma1128 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago
While Barun was brilliant today, let's face it - the best scene today was Anjali and Khushi - while ASR was doing a 'DOH!' face palm behind the palms.  He also did a different take on this PH's obsession with freaking tom and jerry chases.  So this time Tom (ASR) chases Jerry (KKG) to give him a piece of cheese instead of trying to hit him with a mallet.  Now onto the topic.

I don't know how many of you have read Chitra Banerjee Divyakaruni's book that is the title of my thread but it is about the bond between two friends separated by an ocean and how in tune they are to each other's emotions and hearts.  In today's lingo - sister from another mother (although brother from another mother sounds much more poetic, whatever, let's continue).  This is how I feel Anjali and Khushi are.

I thought to myself as I watched that scene between Anjali and Khushi (and choked up thank you very much), why is it that Khushi has not shared this ache with Payal.  Why was it that when Khushi's orphan status was thrown in her face in the beginning episodes by the person she calls 'amma', Payal did not provide this type of support to unburden her sister?  Yes her wedding was called off, but KKG ran out in the middle of the night with Payal's best interest at heart, so why not the reciprocity.  Have there been moments between the sisters - yes - but not with this depth.

Somehow, I feel that the connection between Khushi and Anjali is stronger than Payal's (don't come over and chappalify me okay, it's only an opinion).  I really felt like I was watching Khushi's older sister - a jiji in every sense of the word.  I don't know if it is because of lack of writing or what have you, but in many circumstances, Payal acts like Khushi's younger sister.  She is the one who needs to be reassured that everything will be alright.  She is the one who sits at home with Buaji, worrying about money but not being proactive, Payal is the one who today - when Shyam asked who would take care of Babuji if she couldn't hold it together - is immediately reminded of Khushi.

It's probably a deliberate attempt to show closeness between Anjali and Khushi - so that the Shyam betrayal is even more bitter.

Edited by momma1128 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

current thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: momma1128

While Barun was brilliant today, let's face it - the best scene today was Anjali and Khushi - while ASR was doing a 'DOH!' face palm behind the palms.  He also did a different take on this PH's obsession with freaking tom and jerry chases.  So this time Tom (ASR) chases Jerry (KKG) to give him a piece of cheese instead of trying to hit him with a mallet.  Now onto the topic.

@ Bold..🤣🤣Anu ..the play with the words..very impressive..
So Since Arnav Singh Raizada and Khushi Kumari Gupta are as different as chalk and cheese though I don't even know why it needs to be spelt out..the cheesy chases are probably the only thing the two are getting a common ground on..🤣

So true..about the sister..Indeed I feel that Payal is such a regressive character..where as Anjali is quite passive aggressive...where she meets her match ..i.e.ASR she will bow down to him..but where she can ..she will exert control...don't forget it is the Raizada blood calling..
Superb post Anu as always..

And Yes Barun was a peach...looke good enough to eat..

-Leah- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Yes enuf of my praise for Barun..🤣.

Anjali..though I cant stand her baby ways but then that is what the writers want her to be..I mean check out all the episodes this week.They were so emotionally charged with crisps dialogues and almost flawless screenplay and direction.I need to check the credits to see if they are the same people who gave us the chronicles of the gotwa last week..🤣.

From experience it is easier to pour your heart out to a freind other than your family.😆.They dont judge you lolzzz.It was easier for her to open up to Anjali than Payal coz she always has that...I need to be strong for my family..their happiness comes first kind of thing and so she basically has no time for herself...she knows she in debt to the guptas for taking her in although she never says but who said she never feels it right?.That is why I want the CV's to show us Khushi alone scenes the way they have done for Arnav..just her alone ..sitting somewhere in her room and just thinking .We would know so much more about her character.Now we just know her as the vivacious,feisty teenager who loves her Devi Maiyya and loves to hate her Laad Governor.😆

And I am a sucker for girl bonding < 3..but somehow the Payal-Khushi scenes dont do it for  me the way their scene did today.They had just one scene and they owned me.They are precious<3.

sbk2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Nice post Anu!

Yes, they did show Anjali like a nurturing  elder sister (in fact a motherly figure)  to Khushi, who understood her anguish, threw open her arms and hugged her to lessen her pain. 

Payal on the other hand is always looking to latch onto Khushi's pinky in every tough situation instead of toughing up and helping Khushi. 

The only time I saw Payal's elder sister persona waking up is when she reprimanded ASR after the guest house rescue. 
Come to think of it, they've shown Payal totally clueless when it comes to deciphering Khushi's facial expressions when she is troubled. Though she is shown as a sensible and rational person, she's lacking the strong motherly protective touch in her love towards Khushi. 
Khushi is always shown to downplay her emotional turmoil and keep saying "Kuch nahin hua Jiji!"

Edited by sbk2 - 12 years ago
momma1128 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
@Zainab - what do you mean they only have the cheesy chases as common ground!!  They both enjoy quiet moonlit drives, stormy nights in quaint dimly lit half built guest homes and dupattas - lots and lots of dupattas. 🤣  Payal is a totally regressive character.  It's as if she needs to ask permission to have a thought.  And Anjali is your typical passive agressive SP bahu - every single serial on the channel needs to have one - lest the viewer forget how to make a really good daal. 🤢

@Sejal - I understand Khushi feeling indebted to the parents, but Payal?  And just because Khushi doesn't share doesn't preclude Payal from asking and digger deeper.  In fact, not only doesn't Payal share, she turns to Khushi for support.  Funny isn't it that in a house full of people, Khushi has no one to share this pain?  Another mask in another house.

@SBK - you hit the nail on the head!  She does latch onto Khushi and doesn't show the emotional maturity to deal with Khushi, as a sister - not as a worldly woman.
napstermonster thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 7
To add to what you guys have said, I think another sign of the difference between Payal and Anjali as sisters to their respective cousins can be seen when you consider their perception skills and their awareness of their respective cousins. Anjali took exactly three incidents with Akash to know about his unexpressed feelings-she figured things out so fast- that he was in love, who he was in love with, and what he might want from her in terms of help. All without Akash saying one damn word!

She was immediately proactive in bringing Payal into Akash's proximity-the Teej scene, puja at their own house etc. She "got" her cousin's feelings, and did something about them immediately. In fact, that is what saves her as a character for me since otherwise she's too sati savitri for me to deal with-she's a true elder sister to both ASR and Akash, and they idolise her for it.

With Payal and Khushi, I've lost count of the number of times Khushi has TOLD Payal that shes thinking of ASR, dreaming of him, focusing on what he has said or done or what she'd like to say to him. Awake, asleep, (pretend) drunk, sad, happy-shes mentioned him as a cause for so much of her emotional upheavals, any normal sister would by now be seriously alarmed/excited/defensive but would at least know something is up. Any sister afraid of a man like ASR's cruelties, as Payal has cause to be, would be alarmed by her younger sibling's
constant references to him

Every time, I think okay, Payal isn't a fool, shes got to ask Khushi whether she's starting to think too much about a man she supposedly hates, and this might be the catalyst for Khushi to figure out that she's infatuated. Yet every time, Payal misses the boat-she doesn't ask the question even Lakshmi would have bleated out by now-how can you think you hate this man, when its so obvious that you are  so freakin obsessed with him?

solembaum thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
During that wedding night fiasco I had actually liked the scene between Khushi and Payal... The way they hugged and Khushi cried and Payal told her - tumse saga hamara aur koi nahin hai... But yeah except for the GH night , I have rarely seen Payal behave like an elder sister ... But not sure if I will say her bonding with Anjali is greater than her bonding with Payal... Atleast I wouldn't really want it to be :-) But Anjali and Khushi scene was really good today and they do have a beautiful bond between them ...
mandy0310 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 8
Payal isn't bad, I like her relationship with Khushi but yes I find more depth between Anjali and Khushi. Anjali just gets her, she knows when Khushi is upset and feels her pain. I loved their scene today where they bonded over the loss of a loved one.
SillyPepper thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Hiya! So true...Whenever Khushi is sad and she tries to brush it off, if asked for a reason...Payal does not try to dig deeper into the matter...may be she does not want invade into her personal space...but as already  other members pointed out she is clueless   even about explicit things...

Yeah! Anjali understands others so easily , it wud b so nice if she identifies her patidev as well!

That was an awesum post! lovely replies by all!
Edited by cindrella255 - 12 years ago
sanashau thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I think Anjali is more mature, older, married?  

Someone mentioned that Anjali  knew that Akash likes Payal, and Payal never questioned Khushi about Arnav,  But the same goes the other way around.  Khushi did not pick that her sister is showing an interest in Akash... 

I think Payal is just more protected, being the older sister (the first child), and not have to go through what khushi has been through and that makes her more gullable, naive...