Article: Winds of change on telly themes!

Posted: 12 years ago

Winds of change on telly themes (Nothing major!)

Winds of change on telly themes

Here's evidence: A mature love story (Bade Achhe Lagte Hain); a relationship between two people from different generations (Kuch To Log Kahenge); a mature protagonist who reflects on his past and resurrects his life (Parichay); a family drama that addresses issues confronting the new generation (Navya) and a rich brat discovering love and family responsibilities after marrying into a middle-class household (Sasural Genda Phool). These are some the shows which stand out amidst the clutter of overblown sentimentality and herald the winds of change that will free television from run-of-the-mill family dramas.

"Television fiction has entered an interesting phase. The audience is asking for change. When a 40-year-old man is accepted trying to find love with a 30-plus woman, it means that viewers want to watch realistic stuff," says Sony's business head Sneha Rajani. Apparently, Sony wanted to make Kuch To Log Kahenge for the last two years but hesitated till the success of Bade Achhe Lagte Hain. "It was kept on the backburner for two years but we fast-tracked it because if you want viewers to see your shows then you'd better give them something different," admits Sneha.

Producer Rajan Shahi of Bidaai, Yeh Rihsta Kya Kehlata Hai, Havan and Kuch To Log Kahenge says these are exciting times for television. "I tried to be different in Bidaai and Yeh Rishta, now I am trying to be more experimental with Havan and Kuch To Log Kahenge. If the trend succeeds then producers and channels will be encouraged to explore fresh narratives," he adds.

Sanjay Upadhyay, senior TV director and ex-channel programmer, says the winds of change started blowing with Balika Vadhu. "It broke the stereotype but unfortunately channels and producers misunderstood it as solely an issue-based show. The result was a slew of hard-hitting and dark stories of poverty and regressive values," he observes. But the audience was ready for path-breaking, innovative themes. This was evident in shows like Aap Ki Antara, 12/24 Karol Bagh and Sasural Genda Phool, which caught the attention of viewers. "People didn't talk about them much because they were not trendsetters. But they were catalysts of change," says Sanjay.

Producer Siddharth Tewari of Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo, Navya and Phulwa feels viewers are always open to different stories and interesting narratives. Rajan and Sanjay feel that these transformational winds will gather momentum. "Saath Nibhana Saathiya, Mrs. Kaushik Ki Paanch Bahuyen and Pratigya kind of shows will always be there. But the signs of movement are clearly visible," says Sanjay.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/showbiz/tv-guide/winds-change-telly-themes-849
😕😕😕did not understand the article hmm i beleive mkap is different from rest of the serials mentioned🤔
thanks for sharing😃
Originally posted by telstra

😕😕😕did not understand the article hmm i beleive mkap is different from rest of the serials mentioned🤔
thanks for sharing😃

Don't think they have shown MKAP in good light though...😕
Originally posted by ...Poojie...

Don't think they have shown MKAP in good light though...😕

glad it wasn't only me... they made it seem as if MKAP is just another "been-there-done-that" show
Thanks for sharing: 😊

I can't really compare any, MKAP is the only soap that I have ever watched. ðŸ˜†
the article says mkap is just liike old shows...but inm real it is not...wat is the difference in BALH...only the age difference...other than that ekta is ekta no difference at all...no offence plz to their fans...wat about sgp...the fans are tired of that...

article writers must defenitely watch all shows and then comment...
thanks 4 sharing..i have never scene the serial like pratigya before...pratigya is a best and very different show from others..
Originally posted by telstra

thanks for sharing😃

Agree..i feel the same..not other but MKAP is different from others...