Users

Frequent Posters

BheegiBasanti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
PM - PM ka khel ho gaya? 😆

Poor Pankaj Kapur...probably ran out of budget to pay Taran Adarsh! 😆

@Simran: No jee, I am not...however, I can pretty much understand Punjabi...it's a cute language! But, I have trouble speaking it ...I can understand alot of Gujju too. heh. :P
quiet_chaos thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 5
Haan ji eraser...sounds like a time I want lol. I'm taking tomm off...it's only lectures and going on a day long date ji😍...it's getting a bit cold...but I'm going to White Rock for ice cream...yaay

Haan ji Jess...I think I will still enjoy...but I have an idiot I'm going with...and the movie has no Katrina in it...so automatically it's a flop ji🤔

Oh yaay Ania...my fiance and I would get into arguments back then when he couldn't get Punju...I'd tell him ke if I can get your Hindi, you can get my Punju. It always annoyed me b/c it wasn't that different from Hindi😆. 
Edited by AHF_S - 12 years ago
sim ur bf not punjabi?

seriously ur story is no less than movies😊
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

I feel so bad for Pankaj Kapoor 😭

quiet_chaos thumbnail
Originally posted by: tvdekha

sim ur bf not punjabi?

Nopes...he's a UP ladka😆
Ya, Faridoon apparently hated the movie too. LOL. We do discredit many critics in general, but something must have genuinely gone wrong if all em ind it a displeasure. The cinematography, the songs, the scenes during the first half is liked, then it takes a huge dip. Well I still think Pankaj Kapur is a brilliant actor, just think script writing is maybe not for him. 

'Mausam' Kharaab Hai

'Mausam' is a futile journey through Punjab, Gujarat, Switzerland and Scotland where a lollypop of hope is forever doled out to you ke 'ab kuch kuch hoga' but 'khasmanukhaniyan' nothing really happens. So much footage is wasted for a 'Love' (the 'romance' is seriously missing) that happens in a few day's time (Punjab-Scotland-Gujarat included) over a span of 10 yrs with significant world events flowing under the long long river of endless dialoguebaazi and travelogues. At almost 3 hrs running time, 'Mausam' is a badi si, boring love story that stumps you with its absolute absurdness and lack of entertainment value. 

The narrative flows at a laid-back sleepy pace with a disregard for connectivity. In fact it seems, the film must have been way longer than the final product and at the editing stage, several key portions were chopped off. After a point of time, Anupam Kher goes missing. When Aayat (Sonam Kapoor) didn't marry Akram, then why did she go away with him to America? Why the hell did Harry (Shahid Kapoor) has to go on a save-the-kid mission in a typical seventies-eightees cinema mode when there were other pressing issues like getting out of a riot situation? The love-moments between Aayat-Harry (especially in Scotland) elicited laughter from the audience rather than getting them into a groovy mood. Not a positive sign for the fate of any movie when people laugh at serious situations.

On the positive side, the initial portions in Punjab have some fun moments. Manoj Pahwa as Gulzari brings in light moments. Rajjo's love for Harry and the fooling-around senior sardars bring in some of the worth-carrying-with-yourself-home moments. The much-talked-about IAF sequences are impressive to start with but the actual air strike is tacky. If this is the idea of 'Top Gun' then we are not even remotely close to it. Music is good. 'Rabba' and 'Sajh Dhajke' are picturised well. 'Mallo Malli' sounds good when heard in audio but its placement in the film is no 'Mauja Hi Mauja'. 

The problem with 'Mausam' is the confusion in trying to bridge the gap between Art and Commercial. Director Pankaj Kapur tries to build his story on some key incidents in the recent world history like Babri Masjid demolition, Mumbai Bomb Blasts, Kargil War, 9/11 in USA and Gujarat Riots. A novel idea but the manner in which he tries to weave the love story between Harry and Aayat with these incidents as the backdrop, doesn't work at the level of story or execution. The worrying aspect is that 'Mausam' is an expensive film and the needless frequent flying in Europe and the costs involved in managing a big crew in such situations will cost dear to the producers. 

Shahid Kapoor as Harry has a role of a lifetime and does justice to it. Almost. He is funny when required, grasps the Punjabi twang effectively and emotes well. But the Air Force Officer part (specially in Scotland) smacks of arrogance. Sonam Kapoor had a dream role but she messes it up. There's an artificiality in her performance that's amateurish. Kareena or Vidya Balan could have taken this role to another level and maybe bring in a semblance of realism (which must have been the aim of the director in the first place).

A good actor necessarily need not be a good director. That's exactly the case with Pankaj Kapur. He must have had a sound idea but the execution is missing. When a love story lacks the soul and heightened romance, it fails to connect, as is the case with Kapur's directorial venture. Binod Pradhan's camerawork is exceptional and is the highpoint of the film. Sreekar Prasad's editing is lackluster. Either he was sleeping while editing or he was made to snooze. Pankaj Kapur's dialogues are sprightly in parts but generally they are verbose or pedantic. 

'Mausam' is not the kind of film that you'd want to go out with your loved ones unless you are desperately searching for ways to 'break-free'. 

Star Rating: 1 1/2 stars
Edited by zainab25 - 12 years ago
quiet_chaos thumbnail
There are way too many incidents that happen...5 of them?

They could of just used 2 and had character development...I'm already disappointed lol
wat_up thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: tvdekha

sim ur bf not punjabi?

Hi rits but why does he have to be Punjabi?  but simran how did you meet so its a love marriage?
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Zainab..I knew there were 4 and I thought it was too many...but looks like there's actually more.

Yikes. I'm gonna walk out of the theater and say it was horrible.