Pettiness n relationships

Posted: 12 years ago
Over petty issues we fight but why? Pride?
Friendship and relationships go down the drain. It is a huge waste.
How do you normally handle such situations?
Do you compromise and meet halfway?
I hate it when it is politics, religion or even a Football or Cricket Team that causes Family discord. At times parents and children cannot see eye to eye on issues of studies, boy friends etc.

Human relations get complicated due to lack of proper understanding and problems. Our own faults may be the problem at times.
Edited by Summer3 - 12 years ago
We need to try and understand the other person when at times it goes to an xtreme
Originally posted by Pratamesh

We need to try and understand the other person when at times it goes to an xtreme

Yes and differences can never be settled so long as we hold grudges. We feel someone has wronged but what about the times we did wrong to others too.

But with strangers and perpetual trouble makers and crooks it is best to avoid them.
Edited by Summer3 - 12 years ago
Originally posted by Summer3

Over petty issues we fight but why?Pride?
 Its not always pride though it is often the cause. Boredom , frustration, stress, ignorance, could be other causes. It can make us lose sight of the pettiness of the issue.

That need not be the case if even one party is mature enough to handle the situation well.
1.     First- Dont get into fights over petty issues. They are petty anyway.
2.     If at all for some reason as stated above you do get into it try to remember that the issue is petty after all.
3.     If in the heat of the moment you lost sight of that but later realised it , make ammends.
4.     For an issue not so petty, if the other party is too emotional or agitated at that moment it would be impossible to get your point across so wait for a time when the person is more calm or sane, so that you can actually get the person to listen. A person when angry doesnt listen but simply retorts or reacts.
5.     Once the person has calmed down you could try and reason out. If the other person has at least an average  intelligence s/he would  understand your POV even if it differs from his own.
6.Agree to disagree. Its not necessary for every individual to think alike.  Remember, the world looks beautiful because of its variety and not the similarities

That would have to be issue dependant.
I hate it when it is politics, religion or even a Football or Cricket Team that causes Family discord.
 These would fall under the heading 'petty issues' except religion. Where we have members following different religions within a family it could lead to conflicting situations . Some compromise would be necessary here.

At times parents and children cannot see eye to eye on issues of studies, boy friends etc.
Thats a fairly common occurence. Love, patience and healthy respect for each other built up over time can withstand every tempest.
Lastly, every friendship and relationship needs nurturing. Depends on how much it means to you.

Well said Angie, in life problems and quarrels and trying situations are bound to arise and sometimes it is caused by the the "Gods", so as to wake us up or mould our character.
At times we just have to accept the fact that certain persons cannot help behaving in a certain unacceptable manner because that seems to be their nature and they cannot help it much.😆 their emotions get the better of them regarding certain situations or while playing games or working.
But we can fortunately select our own friends and avoid the weirdos😆
In life and work environment diplomacy and tact goes a long way. Often the rule is "The customer is right and the Boss should be respected and handled correctly".
The character of the accountant and a marketing person are often at two different ends.

I'm not sure about others, for me it often is pride. Pride does not like being wounded.

Nah! If you are close enough friends you can go through hell and still come out stronger. After all the strongest bonds are forged in the hottest of fires. These issues maybe petty, but they are good filters to weed out the riff raff and inconsequential people.

Just go with the flow. No set process. Human nature has no set solutions.

Depends on the flow. I am a forgiving person though. Too naive and nice for my own good some people say.

I hate it when it is politics, religion or even a Football or Cricket Team that causes Family discord.

Religion is such a stupid thing to argue about. There are so many more important things in life like cricket. And hells yeahs anyone who supports Favre or the Vikings deserves a punch in the face. The Bears suck as well.

At times parents and children cannot see eye to eye on issues of studies, boy friends etc.

If we saw eye to eye, we would be peers not parents and children. Why try to see eye to eye and completely ruin the relationship.

In life and work environment diplomacy and tact goes a long way. Often the rule is "The customer is right and the Boss should be respected and handled correctly".
The character of the accountant and a marketing person are often at two different ends.

The rule is "Customer is No.1, pain in the arse that is".

Pettiness is just a step away from prettiness.

In my experience it is mostly an issue with Type A personality..

I have a friend for over 20 years now..We used to talk to each other at least twice a day and hung out along with our spouses for dinners/movies/outings very often during the week.. .One fine morning she called to say that she is bringing a baby home next week..!!! You can imagine the shock I went through at the time because adoption is a long process..takes at least 12-18 months from application to getting personal background and finances vetted to finding a baby for adoption..
To my surprise, I wasn't angry at her or disenchanted for being so secretive about the whole thing..
We are still friends and meet maybe once a month or so as our lives have changed drastically in last 10 years..
I think in most social situations there is no meeting halfway.. you don't have to react to everything is all I know.. It is a waste of time.
I hate it when it is politics, religion or even a Football or Cricket Team that causes Family discord. At times parents and children cannot see eye to eye on issues of studies, boy friends etc.
Don't get me started on my parents.. God bless them..
Edited by my_view - 12 years ago
Originally posted by return_to_hades

The rule is "Customer is No.1, pain in the arse that is".

Pettiness is just a step away from prettiness.

Yes some are real SOBs. These days the customers are very well informed and they always squeeze for more discounts. Worst are customers that ask discounts and never pay on time or become bad debts.

When the Boss's wife or relative interferes and starts giving instructions too we can only pity the poor workers. 😆 Edited by Summer3 - 12 years ago