Debate Mansion

declining a skull cap? is that an issue?

monar thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
Hey guys, Do you think Modi's declination to wear a skill cap was an issue or Media deliberately made it one?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
It might be insensitive of him. It may reflect a certain hesitation about other religion. It might even show lack of preparation and foresight on the part of a politician - people in the spotlight have to walk on eggshells and be prepared for various odd situations. But it is a non issue. Politely declining a religious offering is not a sign of disrespect for another religion.

People have religious reservations. There are many people who truly believe in equal rights, equal treatment and religious freedom. At the same time they may have strong belief in their personal religion and not be open to religious items, rituals or offerings of another religion. It is not rudeness or disrespect.

Freedom of religion goes two ways. The other person respects your religious beliefs and lets you carry them out. In turn you respect the other person's beliefs and let them carry them out.
MithiBani thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
IMO, It wasn't an isue at all. What if Modi had tried applying teeka to that Maulvi? Would he have reciprocated? It should work both ways. Every person has the right to refuse what he/she isn't comfortable with. If that Maulvi had any sense, he wouldn't have offered it. This loopy securalism funda is what's destroying India. Appease the minorities...do whatever it takes for votebanks...sad and destructive for this country. It was gutsy of Modi to have refused it in full media glare.
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
  •  
Narendra Modi began a fast on September 17 to promote 'goodwill' in what was seen as a bid to project himself as a potential candidate for premier. (AFP Photo)

Narendra Modi refuses to put on 'skull cap' offered by Muslim cleric

PTI Sep 19, 2011, 03.41pm IST
Tags:

AHMEDABAD: Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi refused to put on a 'skull cap' offered by a Muslim cleric during his sadbhavana fast in Ahmedabad.

Sayed Imam Shahi Saiyed, a cleric of a small Dargah in Pirana village on the outskirts of the city (he lives in Savali village of Dakor taluka), had on Sunday gone up to stage to greet the chief minister, at Gujarat University Convention hall.

He offered Narendra Modi a 'skull cap', but Modi politely refused to wear it, asking him to offer a shawl instead. The imam did so, and Modi was seen accepting it.

I see so this is what it is all about.

Some people feel that covering their heads in front of Gods is proper. Some believe that nothing should be worn on the head.

When in Rome do what the Romans do.
    No harm wearing one and no harm for Muslims to put on tikka either.

We should promote togetherness as far as possible. Of course if it comes to food then it is a personal choice.

Summer3 thumbnail
    Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Further remarks

"Narendra Modi's refusal to accept the cap is not my insult but an insult of Islam," Saiyed told reporters.

"I had come to Ahmedabad after hearing about the Sadbhavna Mission fast and went to the stage to felicitate Modi.

"When I offered him the cap he told me that he would not wear it. He might have thought that wearing a skull cap will dent his image...," the cleric said.

The BJP, however, said it was a non-issue. "Narendra Modi has clearly said that his policy is not of appeasement of a section of society unlike other parties, but our approach is development for all and treating everyone as equal," party spokesperson Vijay Rupani said.

"Thousands of members of the minority community have come here, but nobody insisted that Narendra Modi put on a skull cap. This is a non-issue which is being turned into a big one by our opponents," Rupani said.

MithiBani thumbnail
    Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
    Originally posted by: Summer3

I see so this is what it is all about.

Some people feel that covering their heads in front of Gods is proper. Some believe that nothing should be worn on the head.

When in Rome do what the Romans do.

We should promote togetherness as far as possible. Of course if it comes to food then it is a personal choice.

Modi wasn not visiting a mosque. It was at his fast venue that this Maulvi came along and decided to put that cap on his head. Modi politely refused. If Modi was visting a mosque, I'd want him to put one and same goes for the maulvi if he was visting a temple. But IMO, in other circumstances they have the right to refuse if they're not comfortable with it. The Maulvi whining about it later made him look so pathetic and  a political ploy. Yes, togetherness should be promoted but one can't force such things. Relgious rights/ feelings of all relgions should be accepted. Why force anyone to do something they are not comfortable with? That'll create more friction than togetherness.
    Edited by MithiBani - 12 years ago
    -Believe- thumbnail
    Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Further remarks

"Narendra Modi's refusal to accept the cap is not my insult but an insult of Islam," Saiyed told reporters.

"I had come to Ahmedabad after hearing about the Sadbhavna Mission fast and went to the stage to felicitate Modi.

"When I offered him the cap he told me that he would not wear it. He might have thought that wearing a skull cap will dent his image...," the cleric said.

The BJP, however, said it was a non-issue. "Narendra Modi has clearly said that his policy is not of appeasement of a section of society unlike other parties, but our approach is development for all and treating everyone as equal," party spokesperson Vijay Rupani said.

"Thousands of members of the minority community have come here, but nobody insisted that Narendra Modi put on a skull cap. This is a non-issue which is being turned into a big one by our opponents," Rupani said.

Sala that maulavi is sooo Stupid... Modi did not accept the cap. How is Islam insulted ?? Is Islam all stake is on cap??? 😲This is bullshit and the imam must be bokus...All playing politics..the Dirty politics!!!!

Pratamesh thumbnail
    Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
    This are all unnecessary things which are just made complex
    after modi didnt wear the skull cap shiv sena chief made a statement praising modi for what he had done so this hype is just not needed we dont want an communal conflict when we hav many other important issues like the terrorist,corruption,economic slowdown,inflation etc
    blue-ice. thumbnail
    Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
    If it has been made out to be an issue...too bad...

India is a secular country which means that people are allowed to follow their own religious beliefs...if Modi did not want to wear the skull cap for what ever reason...that should be respected...
    I am sure that if the maulvi was given a head scarf to wear with Ramnam written on it...he would have refused it as well because he is not allowed to do so in his religion...
    Majorities should not be expected to bend backwards because of minority...a hindu has as much right to his religious beliefs as a muslim, christian or a Sikh..
    blue-ice. thumbnail
    Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Summerji...just to promote togetherness ...people should not be made to compromise on their religious beliefs...togetherness can be better promoted by respecting eachother's religious beliefs...