Gulaal

Baatein bhool jaati hain, Yaadein yaad aati hain

AreYaar thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Link to previous post...the lovely Imli scene :-)

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/1793262

-------------------------------

Title conveniently stolen from the title of Jzee's clip...thanks, Jzee!๐Ÿ˜†

Here we go:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX5bqkhueWw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thS-DNRJ30M[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9mrp73x1Z0[/YOUTUBE]

Today's scenes are from three different episodes...but they capture this portion of the phase wonderfully...first we have the very touching album scene...followed by Gulaal getting a FB of chhota Kesuda contrasting with the one who shuns her now...and finally we have another letter scene of Kesar's interrupted by Talli jhalli but once Gulaal shows up, time stands still yet again...lol

The thought that stays with me over the course of watching these, especially the album scene is how powerful memories have been in the case of GK especially...they have the power to soothe wounded hearts as in the case of the album scene where Gulaal can see that Kesar hasn't forgotten anything and sees him in a rare unguarded moment where his true feelings are obvious on his face...and then we have a contrast later on where Gulaal is soothed on one end by the memory of a Kesar that was willing to do anything she told him as long as she didn't threaten to leave and on the other end she is disturbed at the Kesar in front of her today shunning her, flinging her away and refusing to listen to her.

--------------

Jzee will add her bit about the letters scene and I'll be posting CAPS soon as well...feel free to jump into the discussion :-)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AreYaar thumbnail
*Reserved for CAPS*

--------------------

Batch 1:

Galool in stealth mode๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜†

There's a hope, there's an anticipation right from the moment she places the album in his closet

I love the bandhini print on this album...truly every tiny decorative prop in this show also is so lovely

haha Gulaal is so ishmart about moving back in time before he could see her๐Ÿ˜†

And so begins the trip down memory lane...I loved the music they used in this bit...makes it all the more poignant...you feel like you're on that journey WITH Kesar as he moves through each set of pictures

I liked how they showed him just walking backwards and sitting on to the bed as if it's a subconscious thing...he was already transported back to the past somewhere through those memories

I loved this bit of the FBs...one of the most adorable V-G-K scenes pre-leap

I didn't realize this the first time I watched the scene but Kesar actually mouths a "Vasant bha" softly when he touches this picture...such a subtle and wonderful touch

Enchanting goddess as always

And you can see the emotions starting to overwhelm Kesar

Edited by nureat01 - 12 years ago
without-fathom thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Scene - Gulaal's FB: Kesu vs Kesar

So I personally saw this scene for the first time today - courtesy Nur - so its my first time knowing that Gulaal had saved up a set of Kesuda's uniform in her wardrobe - aww! ๐Ÿฅบ  It breaks my heart, how much these two feel and think about each other! The way she remembers the cherished time - the scene where he assures her he'll do exactly what she says, anything and everything to make sure she never leaves him; a scene where Gulaal even with her back on Kesuda knows exactly what he will say and do to cajole her... exactly how her 'threat in name' will work on him, the sense of right and predictability and comfort and warmth that she had felt around him - it comes to her, and she clutches onto his clothes, like she's trying to squeeze out the feel of that memory and infuse her current person with it again! ๐Ÿฅบ The second he says tu kahin nahi jayegi ... and the scene shifts back to the present with her hugging his clothes, is almost like she's telling herself - tu bhi kahin nahi jaa sakta! Like she's telling herself she too will do anything to not let him go, be lost to her! She's been so daunted about losing her Kesar in the recent turn of events since his comeback! 

Then ofc, she remembers the cold, hurting, crass, uncaring and HIGHLY unpredictable Kesar of today, who anything but listens to her - on the contrary does exactly the opposite of anything she says! ๐Ÿ˜ณ And in a fluster, she packs away the uniform, her memory of a happy past, and a reminder of the not half as happy present - she shuts the door of her wardrobe, and its symbolic of the way she has shut away every desire in her life, for now she shuts away this one too - to seek out her Kesar in this new one! 

---

Scene - JK the kadvi sach-speaker ๐Ÿ˜†

Okay. everyone who loved loved loved JK in this scene, say aye! How can someone NOT love such a witty vamp?! ๐Ÿ˜† The way she begins with Talli ki baat wo taal nahi sakta, aur teri koi baat woh sunta nahin - oh JK, mistress of the wittiest one liners on this show, you steal my heart โค๏ธ No kidding, I love the way she taunts Gulaal, and doesn't crease her face for a second! Such a relief from the world of 'melodramatic vamps' - JK is such a refreshing shade of grey!!! ๐Ÿ‘ The dialog writing is fantastic - I added this scene primarily, (yes second to my ode to JK ofc โ˜บ๏ธ) because she verbalizes facts for facts. Gulaal likes to color her sapna in rosy red - see what she wants to see, and preferentially filter out anything that can be unseemly to her pretty dream ... JK hits stone after stone of what the fact really is. That today, her official relationship in the house is being Kesar's wife. That she is letting it all go, to Talli, and not flinching for a second. That minus of this status - who exactly is she in the house?! JK has a valid point, and ill motive or not - she gives Gulaal at least transient reason to frown and worry. At this point of the show, when no one, absolutely no one can come in Gulaal's way and show her a mirror - Kesar a while to get there - JK does it. And really, chuck her intention, she is doing Gulaal a favor, even if thats the last thing she intends! But then, doesn't JK always do thing in favor of GK without meaning to?! ๐Ÿ˜† I love JK - clearly - and for the obvious reason!  Hell with the good hearted idealists of the house - read : PB and DB in this scene - JK is talking sense, and the fact that she can spice it up so wittily, with so much sadism in her voice - oh her evil cunning ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜†

---

Scene: Main Yahan Khelne Ke Liye Wapas Nahin Aya Hu! 

Gullu gets her scene to reminisce, Kesar's turn now. He thinks of Talli's words, except, he's not in lamenting mode, his all out on vengeance. I like how they tally the transition of Kesar's expression and thoughts, the increasing ferocity and gravity of it - with the intensity in the game that he sits looking at, though not really! There's nothing much to say about his state of mind here - except that whatever temporary peace he had felt in the imli scene, is long gone and past - the album rattled him up, especially being caught vulnerable by Gulaal - and then Talli's reminder of 'loss' shook him up - and as Nur says, one reminder of Dushyant, direct or indirect, and he's back to mode fire. It amused me how his friends reacted to his main yahan khelne wapis nahin aya hun - bicharo wo bhi confusiaayege hain ๐Ÿคฃ Where is that chubby cutie pie - yes occasionally angry spitball like - Kesuda they knew as a kid? Ye Kesar ko kya ho jata hai achanak?! Arre, woi to hai - MYSTERY! ๐Ÿ˜Ž *007 OST playback* ๐Ÿ˜†
----

Scene: Ye Doori Bhi Hai Zaruri 

For many reasons, I love this scene, even if there is Talli overdose. But let's begin with question of the moment. You open an old suitcase, and are faced with the sight of A) bundles of cash B) some old letters. Which one to you pick at first?! ๐Ÿค” No don't answer that - ๐Ÿ˜† We all know what normal people would pick. We also know what all emo people will pick ๐Ÿคฃ And we conclusively know which category Kesarji falls in โ˜บ๏ธ [disclaimer: obviously, emo is good way here. anything that describes Kesar is always in a good way - eg. brat; unreasonable; rude; cold ... you get the drift ๐Ÿ˜† ]

So no prize for guessing, he picks up his priceless bunch of letters. Its almost like this ritual for him, he must do it periodically, sometimes to remind himself of keeping up the war; sometimes to find solace in his only candid/intimate 'exchanges' with Gulaal over a decade; sometimes to find answers which he never gets, and sometimes to remind himself what the question really was! 

Today - we're in for the first explicit verbalizing of why Kesar has chosen to distance himself from his Gulaal. Kudos to NB, for the voice over reading of the letter. The emotions are so raw in hurt and anger - especially when he says tujhe dukh dena chahta hu, tujhe pareshaan dekhna chahta hu! - the eternal paradox of the dukh and pareshaani  he feels even in just writing/reading those words ๐Ÿฅบ. 

I love the way this letter starts - Gulaal, tu soch rahi hogi main kyun tere saamne nahin aata, tujhse milne nahin aata  - his confidence, even as a child from whatever age it is that he has written this letter, about making a point of keeping distance being one that would immediately affect Gulaal, is almost like his confidence from yesterday's scene, knowing the imli's would make her smile in bliss. Isn't the paradox amazing? He's so hurting-hating her 'black heart/intention' in saving Dushyant ... and yet he's relying on the same heart,his Gulaal's heart, to fall prey to his means of keeping distance and feel pain in it! The fact that he knows, instinctively, that his decision to keep her at bay will hurt her, is this unassuming knowing on his part, of how genuine her heart is for him - and then, in the same breath/moment/instance, he is accusing her of betrayal! Yes, the letter underlines and highlights his question KYUN - but the fact that he's punishing her, claiming he wantsto punish her is like he's made up his mind about her wrong intention! Interestingly, the letter begins with his verdict on the punishment he inflicts, and ends with his 'dilemma' over the extent/reason/ or even existence of her crime! Just like Kesar, to deliver his version of justice, before any proceedings to investigate the crime! He tells her he wants to cause her pain, because he has questions, to which only she has the answers! And yet - hasn't he decided what her answers are, to be punishing her? To phir end mein 'kyun' kaisa! Decide kar bhi liya, aur conviction bhi nahi hai! Kesuda, kesuda *shakes head* 

Anyway, who should enter to interrupt the scene, but Talli madam - snatching away the letter. Uh-oh. Talli ki band bajjing within seconds of her grave error - is inevitable, she so called for it, even if I can hardly blame her! I didn't delete this bit, because I wanted to compare and contrast his 'physical' infliction of force on Talli, vs that on Gulaal. Here, the regret it immediate - but in a whole different way. It doesn't hurt Kesar to hurt Talli - he only feels bad, like one would, after having a nasty showdown with a friend. Feel bad to have said things in anger which could have been avoided - nothing like cutting oneself open, in slashing wounds across the other. The contrast is SO evident ๐Ÿ‘ And then put Talli's reaction vs Gulaal's - *face palm* - when she said nishaan pad gaya I swear I was half into the screen shaking her up for being SO silly! Kesar's 'make-up-to-Talli' bit, by distracting her for the ladoos, is again, an interaction between old friends. As I said to Maz yesterday, Kesar doesn't see Talli beyond the chum he had a decade ago. He treats her like that, behaves in the same informal manner - good and bad - because that's how Talli and he still are inside his head. Skip their silly banter and FF to the chase ending abruptly, because,

ENTER Galool! - Room ka temperature is suddenly on the rise, the 'charge' as Reemz calls it, is so thick between GK you can cut it with a knife. Oh I could watch these seconds of exchange between them n times over and still feel goosebumps! Its a live wire! 

Gulaal's look - tentative, and speculative over whether she should smile adoring the sight of her two dolls - Kesar and Talli - gelling so well, just like she wants ๐Ÿคข or better avoid because hello, Kesar the doll, takes a nano second to become Kesar the demon ๐Ÿ˜† Wisely, she sticks to the 2nd option, well except that quick Minnie (fake) flash at Talli *rolls eyes* 

Kesar's expression - Everything around him has just dissolved to nothing and no one - except the sight of Gulaal, and perhaps the words of his letter echoing fresh in his head, even if we don't hear them. He's a tad breathless, but he almost holds onto his breath to - indecisive about being caught in such a ... well, normal and cordial manner?! Because even if he slips now and then, he mostly still plans to stick being mysteriously cold and curt around her - keep her on the edge! His smile probably wants to linger, but his mind is telling it to revert, or at least form into some snide version - but Gulaal doesn't give him that much time, delivers her message and leaves. 

Talli - *head desk* tells Kesar to eat the ladoos, before leaving! Bhai blind as bat to hai hi, but how does she stand in that same space with GK and not feel the power of the charge around them?! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ  Humein to screen ke baahar bhi feel hojata hai โ˜บ๏ธ but oh I forget, ye to Talli hai *shakes head* 

Kesar - incoming/outgoing bar. Focus has returned to being singular and magnetically zoomed in on who else, target Galool ๐Ÿ˜† bichaari! ๐Ÿ˜†

--- 

Edited by JZephyr - 12 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail
Caps updated in first post.

--------

Batch 2:

And then he reaches HER page

And it's interesting that this is the bit when Gulaal starts to get the most emotional too...she's watched him go through everyone's pictures...his, the family, Vasant...but in THIS bit...when it's just HER...somehow this moment is just about HER and HIM...the memories included everyone but everything changes when it's just about THEM...about her and him

He hears her crying and looks up in complete shock...a totally unguarded moment where his emotions are unchecked...he's still swimming in the past somewhere

And then SNAP the album is closed

Kesar is still somewhere dazed half in shock, half with being overwhelmed with the memories and trying quite hard to hold on to the mask and so can't say a single word

I love this *moment*...cuz that is what it is...a *moment*...where they just look at each other...not a word, from her or him...but that look exchanged says SO much

And as she leaves, it really does feel like he was holding his breath the entire time...he's watching her leave almost in a trance/daze too

And the final touch with him looking down and opening the album again...interesting that he didn't snap it fully shut...he left his thumb in place to hold the spot with Gulaal's pictures๐Ÿ˜†

Edited by nureat01 - 12 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail
Batch 3:

Gulaal looking at Kesar's old school clothes and getting a FB of when just the mention of her leaving had him panicking...one of my fav. GK pre-leap scenes...lol

Manasi's expressions in this bit are really genius๐Ÿ˜†

"Tu kahin nahin jaayegi...kabhi nahin"

And contrast to now

Kesar in FB mode as well

And he's reading the letters again..."kyun main tujhse door rehta hoon? Kyun ki main tujhe DUKH dena chahta hoon"

I loved how they used the mirror in this scene too

Talli jhalli ke saath bhaag daud karne ke baad Kesar totally freezes the moment Gulaal walks in๐Ÿ˜†

Obligatory fake Minnie thrown at Talli๐Ÿ˜†

While Kesar is still all zapped and dazed

It's hilarious that in the end Talli is babbling something at him about eating the laddoo and Kesar is still lost in Gulaal...he's still watching the spot where she left๐Ÿ˜†

without-fathom thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
^^ Updated my written post everyone - I have some very boring paper work to wrap up, which will take the rest of my waking time tonight - but do jump in with your respective comments - so much to pick from and talk about today - so there's interesting stuff to come back to tomorrow 
AreYaar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: JZephyr

Talli - *head desk* tells Kesar to eat the ladoos, before leaving! Bhai blind as bat to hai hi, but how does she stand in that same space with GK and not feel the power of the charge around them?! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ  Humein to screen ke baahar bhi feel hojata hai โ˜บ๏ธ but oh I forget, ye to Talli hai *shakes head* 

Kesar - incoming/outgoing bar. Focus has returned to being singular and magnetically zoomed in on who else, target Galool ๐Ÿ˜† bichaari! ๐Ÿ˜†

LOLL@ the charge line...SO true...the air is like CRACKLING with the charge, the chemistry the moment these two are in one frame...Talli is the ultimate in not managing to sense even the most OBVIOUS of undercurrents๐Ÿ˜†

haha@ Kesar's incoming/outgoing bar...ROFL it really is hilarious how his gaze just HAS to be drawn to her only...I'm amused while capping it also๐Ÿ˜†
Maz. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Awesome captures Nur!...I pretty much have the same thoughts as you mentioned for the photograph scene...they find comfort in these memories, they miss it ..miss what they shared back then...a lot has changed since then..at least he has his reasons...Gulaal just has hints that something is unbalanced here in their relationship..she's still trying to discern what it is.

I liked how she sneaked into his room to place the album..hehe..and that one moment you described..he realizes she has kept it there..like JZ mentioned in the last thread..there is a connection from the imli scene to here..by giving her those imlis he let her see that the old Kesar is still alive hiding behind somewhere..so she takes it as a chance to get one step further and find out more. Catching him off guard, she gets some of her answers cleared..he hasn't gone astray...his family, Vasant and more importantly Gulaal still holds priority..

@Gulaal's FB..isn't it amazing..she still has this neatly ironed school uniform of his in her cupboard 10 yrs later...simply shows how much she held on to his memories while he was away. I love that young Kesar-Gulaal scene...so so lovely...trust Kesar to come up with such excuses to stay away from school...and I loved how he replied to each of Gulaal's words...๐Ÿ˜†...one mention of her leaving and it gets him all serious even though he probably knew she was joking...he'd do anything to have her with him always...and now he does the exact opposite, does not want to listen to her, does not find the need to listen to her...he is rebelling and she has no clue why..if she compares and contrasts his reaction to the photo album and the earlier outburst...all she gets is mixed signals...poor Galool..

Kesar once again reliving that moment of truth...I like how he wipes away the tear and walks out..as if thinking he can't be only sitting there hurt with the facts..but he has an agenda that needs to be sorted out...but again like we see it's not easy for him to go confront her immediately..

@Letters...one of the 2 things that always revive the sense of betrayal, the burning questions...I noticed how the letters are also torn around the edges...the amount of times they have been read and re-read...nice touch..(of course it could also be the number of retakes with it..hehe but I'll prefer the other reason..lol)...what I love about the letters is all his thoughts there are clear cut...all the questions are listed...precisely the same ones he actually musters up the courage to ask her many days later..with as much anger as he wrote them during the past decade..

Talli interrupted...it was like all the anger he felt that moment was directed as Talli..she had to bear the brunt for a minute there..of course Talli where are your manners?..uff never mind..

And when Gulaal enters like Nur says time stands still...everything else blacks out..lol...and she's actually being very formal in this exchange..conveys the message and leaves..I think what leaves him startled is that he was running around with Talli a moment earlier...showcasing that child like side of his..and Gulaal saw him like this..something he surely doesn't want her to get comfortable with at this point..

Edit: Word to your post JZ!..the bits about his letters so true..he passes the judgement and assumes it to be the deserving one..

I'll join you in applauding JK!..lol...the woman and her lines are epic indeed ๐Ÿ˜†..and yes from the moment Kesar has returned she indirectly forces Gulaal to think of the future..but it does not make much of an impact..cos dear Galool has spun her own web of a Kesar Talli happily ever after...

Edited by Maz. - 12 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Maz.

@Letters...one of the 2 things that always revive the sense of betrayal, the burning questions...I noticed how the letters are also torn around the edges...the amount of times they have been read and re-read...nice touch..(of course it could also be the number of retakes with it..hehe but I'll prefer the other reason..lol)...I noticed that too...and I think the director and technicians took care to give the letters that authentic touch giving the appearance of old letters which have been read many times...they probably folded them many times over to give them that worn out/torn look at the edges

what I love about the letters is all his thoughts there are clear cut...all the questions are listed...precisely the same ones he actually musters up the courage to ask her many days later..with as much anger as he wrote them during the past decade.. So true...the letters very directly voice every question, every thought in his head...very straightforward just like he is...but on this one topic he is unable to muster up the courage to ask her as you said so he reads the letters again...again and again wanting answers, but each time the sea of emotions swamps him...you can see in this cap when he's reading the letters...there is the pain and anger again

And when Gulaal enters like Nur says time stands still...everything else blacks out..lol...and she's actually being very formal in this exchange..conveys the message and leaves..I think what leaves him startled is that he was running around with Talli a moment earlier...showcasing that child like side of his..and Gulaal saw him like this..something he surely doesn't want her to get comfortable with at this point..That's probably very much a part of it but I think more than anything he hates Gulaal catching him in unguarded moments...where he's being normal, laughing around...cuz in front of her he wants oh so hard to project that cold mask, aloofnes, all of that...but then she's in front of him and the breath literally leaves his body each time unless he's had the chance to get his defenses in place...this happens many times...in the first meet when he turns and sees her, when he looks up from the album and sees her crying and then here...I think he hates being off-guard around her in this phase๐Ÿ˜†....otherwise he's always like this with Talli regardless of Gulaal watching...wasn't he making Talli run after his bike after he first got it too?๐Ÿ˜†

--Minks-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Aaj to special treat hai... we are discussing them all together... so many variations and facets of each character - Gulaal and Kesar, though mostly in essence the same... love and miss the old camaraderie... 

Kesar is showing his vulnerable side to Gulaal for the first time, since he is back after his decade long punishment to his Gulaal... although it was not intentional... but, he was so chicken scared at the thought of being caught by his nemesis in such a weak moment.. he does not want her to realise that it is the same Kesar, she knows ... 

He has tried to build his super macho image, of I am a man now ... This whole softy side, his emotions expressing themselves just by looking a a bunch of his old life, when he was happy and free from all doubts/ griefs... the days when he had his comfort around him, to hold him, to tell him that there was nothing to worry about... he didnt have her with him for 10 years, and it was his punishment as much as hers... he so knows that it would hurt her to be cut off from him, while he on the other hand suffers too...missing his Gulaal.. his life's biggest pillar of support in every situation... she held him, and comforted him when his life shattered with his bhai, Vasant, who was everything to him, is lost forever... Gulaal was the one taking care of this boy, taking care of his fears then... 

Yet, his biggest grief came with the truth of Dushyant being his brother's killer and Gulaal being a co-conspirator (or not)... his life took the biggest fall, and there was noone he could turn to now... he learnt to be brave and mature for the world... as he lost his trust in the one person, who embodied love and trust for him... 

I guess he carried on with this facade for so long that he feels most safe in it... and not in being his normal loving, trusting self, on a decade ago... he feels afraid of being himself in front of his very own Gulaal... what a situation he is caught in?? The one person he trusts most in life still, yet she is the cause of all his distrust in life...

The whole scene where Kesar freezes on seeing Gulaal, and she has this hesitant wary look... both not knowing how to react, was so brilliantly enacted... I completely agree JZee with how you describe the moment...

ENTER Galool! - Room ka temperature is suddenly on the rise, the 'charge' as Reemz calls it, is so thick between GK you can cut it with a knife. Oh I could watch these seconds of exchange between them n times over and still feel goosebumps! Its a live wire! 

The tension is so palpable, and yes the Talli billi has a fuse bulb for a brain, never ever using it except on how-to-patao-Kesar-mission... jisme bhi woh buri tarah se fail huyi... puri duffer hai ye ladki...  anyways, the less said about her, its better... warna bekaar mein Ill waste my enery and efforts over such a complete bafoon... 

On another note, Gulaal was such a sensible, intelligent woman, usko iss Talli se irritation nahi hota tha... I mean it looked most of the time like Talli was her eyes' apples, but why??? I know that she is Sudha's molly-coddled, brainless adopted daughter... and hence is loved as a family member almost... still... there would be a limit to which any sensible person can be sooo in lowe with such a dimwit?????