Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: --sunshine--

To contrast I agree but its not at all realistic according to me. These days english is compulsory till 10 and till then people know how to pronounce basic words :)
Even in hindi medium school  english is taught. so for me its not realistic cz being attached to NGO I have seen such stuff =]

Then I am afraid you don't know anything about rural India...The circumstances there and the exposure they get is totally different...We were once in Trichinapalli/Tamilnadu looking for some directions to a place and the guy we asked the directions didn't even know simple words like 'yes'...And since we didn't know Tamil, we had to make do with hand gestures and whatever the broken tamil we knew...And the thing is Trichinapalli is not even that rural...just like Lucknow...
--sunshine-- thumbnail
Originally posted by: cricketfan1

Then I am afraid you don't know anything about rural India...The circumstances there and the exposure they get is totally different...We were once in Trichinapalli/Tamilnadu looking for some directions to a place and the guy we asked the directions didn't even know simple words like 'yes'...And since we didn't know Tamil, we had to make do with hand gestures and whatever the broken tamil we knew...And the thing is Trichinapalli is not even that rural...just like Lucknow...

Well I accept that I dont knw much about rural area but if u go to lucknow then u will know that lucknow dont come into rural area. They showed Khushi living in proper luckhnow😳. And u r  talking about south well they dont knw much hindi and about there english people those went to schoold knw how to speak english there and from ur talk I can tell that guy never went to school as in who dont knw yes or no thats for sure they never went to school and here they showed Khushi completing her studies.

BDW I have been to both places so there is alot of difference between these places😃

Edited by --sunshine-- - 12 years ago
poppy2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Who says English is complusory?😕 It is only in convent and public schools, that emphasis is paid on spoken english!

Most of the Government and State Board schools in India don't give a fig about how English is spoken, as long as the kids can sit for an English language exam and pass it! You might find it unbelievable, but even in the national capital of Delhi, most government schools teach all subjects like Maths, Science and Social Studies in Hindi and not in English!

English is just one of the many subjects that kids study! And most importantly, even today, people speak in either hindi or their native tounge at home and with their friends and not in English! Hence, it is very natural that people who have grown up speaking in Hindi most of thier life and have only studied English in school, will be comfortable speaking Hindi and not English!

The population you are talking about is a very, very small percentage...the kinds who come on India forum and post in English!

If you have ever interacted with the sales personnel in department stores or even called up one of those small-time call centres (any place in India), you will realize that even though they can technically speak in English, their pronounciation and diction is terrible! That is because, their knowledge of English only comes from the books they have studied in their schools!

Khushi working at ASR's office might or might not have anything to do with her knowing English. Thousands and Lakhs of people work in Corporate Offices, not everyone is supposed to know English well! It really depends on the kind of work one has and does!
Edited by poppy2009 - 12 years ago

Well I accept that I dont knw much about rural area but if u go to lucknow then u will know that lucknow dont come into rural area. They showed Khushi living in proper luckhnow😳. And u r  talking about south well they dont knw much hindi and about there english people those went to schoold knw how to speak english there and from ur talk I can tell that guy never went to school as in who dont knw yes or no thats for sure they never went to school and here they showed Khushi completing her studies.

BDW I have been to both places so there is alot of difference between these places😃

No...he is a literate for sure...as in, he was reading a newspaper(tamil one) when we approached him...Not being able to speak has nothing to do with not being able to speak English..I didn't understand what you were trying to say there...But being literate doesn't mean they have to know english...English is ONLY an optional language in India...And I too have been to both the places and I am afraid, I found Lucknow more seeped into hindi/local language, than this particular place in Tamilnadu...
SK_Love thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

No...he is a literate for sure...as in, he was reading a newspaper(tamil one) when we approached him...Not being able to speak has nothing to do with not being able to speak English..I didn't understand what you were trying to say there...But being literate doesn't mean they have to know english...English is ONLY an optional language in India...And I too have been to both the places and I am afraid, I found Lucknow more seeped into hindi/local language, than this particular place in Tamilnadu...
[/QUOTE]
but khushi was doing job in AR company. how if she does not know english?

To contrast I agree but its not at all realistic according to me. These days english is compulsory till 10 and till then people know how to pronounce basic words :)
Even in hindi medium school  english is taught. so for me its not realistic cz being attached to NGO I have seen such stuff =]

@blue: WHAT???😲😕...Which school are you talking about???

People do know basic english sometimes due to their exposure but still their tongue won't allow them to pronounce the words properly and sometimes awkwardness catches up too...I have so many friends who just came over from India who cannot even say 'sorry' without any accent...Understanding english, and pronouncing it are two COMPLETELY different things...
--sunshine-- thumbnail
@Poppy: well to state board statement I agree👍🏼 but in CBSE english is compulsory and in lucknow either CBSE or ICSE runs(My bestie us from that city) and well by chance I belong to Delhi only and here the scholls which dont teach english are non profit organisation schools or govt schools to depart compulsory education and there teachers themselves dont knw much english so better not to comment on teachers😆 but one thing I will tell if u go to these students and ask them to say baiyyyfraaand even they will pronounce it better.

Yeah they will comfortable with hindi but these days many words in hindi comprises of english only😃 and boyfriend is such a common word that anyone can pronounce it without any problem

About sales personnal lemme tell u one of my 2 minute earlier incident😛 just now I called delievery home and they dont have such fluent english that holds tru according to that my conversation with them but but they dont attkofy and dont repeat words 2 times

If u read my posts in this thread u will get to knw I am talking abt her attkofy thing😳

And yeah everyone is not supposed to know well but I am talking of drawing that line only once they show they know english and once they show she dont knw. I am asking them for drawing uo the line
Originally posted by: Kamalika..

but khushi was doing job in AR company. how if she does not know english?
[/QUOTE]

She doesn know basic english...Only she cannot speak in that language...Also who said you need to know english to work in AR company or any company for that matter???

There are tons of Indians and Chineese who work in America who cannot speak decent english, but still manage to write emails and get their point across...They struggle for sure but still their placement in the company isn't based on their knowledge of spoken English...
--sunshine-- thumbnail
@Cricket fan: I have already covered my points while answering to poppy which u want to ask me =]
Asmita88 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Kamalika..

I agree and honestly can not understand those who would disagree,would not even like to.

Its not at all necessary that someone who does not know english is dumb.

Can't believe I actually had to write something so obvious here.

the problem is not that she does not know english. problem is she worked for ASR group of company as lavanya's assistance. how could she was doing job if she does not know english?😕
[/QUOTE]

actually la hired khushi not because she was perfect for the job, if u remember the old episode there was a PR more better and competent than khushi but la was jealous of her coz ASR praised her on first day of work so in anger la fired the gal and hired coz she was imperfect...