Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

s**twalk: A Self Defeated Movement? (Page 5)

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 22 September 2011 at 9:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by blue-ice

Originally posted by luv_wacko

[this is what i studied in my research for the treatment of women by the hands of the patriarchy, that a poor tribal woman was raped by a ceratin scholar and then the judge says that its not a the man's fault because she simply looked inviting!Angry

Did this really happen somewhereDeadDead
That judge needs to be hangedDeadDead

There are some completely ludicrous notions of rape. I'm not sure how true it is but recently in Italy a rapist pleaded 'not guilty' on the grounds that the victim was wearing skin tight jeans and he could not have pulled them off unless he helped. The judge bought that argument.

Another common defense/myth, which surprisingly many people actually do buy is that if the victim ends up having an orgasm it means she enjoyed it and hence gave consent.

One that really gets me is the belief that a wife cannot be raped by the husband. Many small town, rural folk believe that it is the duty of the wife to please the husband. What reason is there for her to deny? It is not as if there is any social stigma of child or intercourse out of wedlock. It is not as if sexual relations with a husband will make a woman lose face. How dare she be selfish, self-centered and deny her husband a part of marriage. Sadly many women do get raped and abused by their husbands and society often refuses to give them the right to defend their dignity.

*Woh Ajnabee* IF-Sizzlerz
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 23 September 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged
A useful rape analogy:

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Rehanismleeseunggilovereturn_to_hadesBeyond_the_Veil-Believe-

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 23 September 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged
I think something is missing in this thread... someone like qwerty who can act as the red flag to get the bulls rampaging.
souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 23 September 2011 at 1:26pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

One that really gets me is the belief that a wife cannot be raped by the husband. Many small town, rural folk believe that it is the duty of the wife to please the husband. What reason is there for her to deny? It is not as if there is any social stigma of child or intercourse out of wedlock. It is not as if sexual relations with a husband will make a woman lose face. How dare she be selfish, self-centered and deny her husband a part of marriage. Sadly many women do get raped and abused by their husbands and society often refuses to give them the right to defend their dignity.

This is one thing I don't get either. Not the part that force can be used but how will that be proved. Won't it just be his word vs her word?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

leeseunggilove

return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 23 September 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

This is one thing I don't get either. Not the part that force can be used but how will that be proved. Won't it just be his word vs her word?

Every case of rape is an issue of he said vs. she said. The duty of the law is to investigate for the truth, and the duty of the court is to go with the version of the truth that holds most water. It is the best we can do.

Usually, but not always, rape can be identified as force is being used.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

leeseunggilove

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 23 September 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged
Often laws are never just.
And in countries like Singapore a women alone in a lift or quiet corner can accuse man of molest without any witness.
In Malaysia, some women reporting rape against some wealthy persons have been imprisoned and charged too.
Injustices and corruption has caused murderers to go Scott free.
souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 24 September 2011 at 6:26pm | IP Logged

Every case of rape is an issue of he said vs. she said. The duty of the law is to investigate for the truth, and the duty of the court is to go with the version of the truth that holds most water. It is the best we can do.

Usually, but not always, rape can be identified as force is being used.

What I mean is, a married couple are expected to be involved in a physical relationship. In which case I think it's fairly difficult to establish that the sex was non-consensual unlike other rape cases where the perpetrator is a stranger and therefore the sex being forced becomes more plausible.
Another side of it is (though I don't know if it's possible), if there is some way (in the control of the woman) to make it appear that the sex was forced then the opportunity to use it to falsely accuse someone is enormous.

Edited by souro - 24 September 2011 at 6:45pm
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 24 September 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged

What I mean is, a married couple are expected to be involved in a physical relationship. In which case I think it's fairly difficult to establish that the sex was non-consensual unlike other rape cases where the perpetrator is a stranger and therefore the sex being forced becomes more plausible.

Since sex is a part of a married couple or even many relationships, most don't refuse for petty reasons. Both men and women in a marriage try to be considerate and ensure that both are interested, in the mood and want to do it. They will let it be if the other person is seriously not interested, is very tired or is upset or distraught for some reason. Of course people will try to see if the person will change their mind, but most men won't force themselves on their wives if she keeps saying no.

Most marital rape tends to take place in abusive relationships. There usually is a pattern of emotional and/or physical abuse to pin point to rape.

Another side of it is (though I don't know if it's possible), if there is some way (in the control of the woman) to make it appear that the sex was forced then then the opportunity to use it to falsely accuse someone is enormous.

I'm not sure about this. But when the reported rape is between two people who know each other the investigation is more complex and difficult.

L&O SVU had an episode where a college student accuses a professor of rape. Throughout the case you never know which side to believe. Even the evidence keeps pointing in both directions. The entire episode ends inconclusive - making the viewer rack their brains on who to believe.

As people I dont think we can every say one rape is plausible and not another. We just hope to have a good legal system where a crime is investigated and prosecuted fairly based on reliable evidence.

Go to top