Diya Aur Baati Hum

What about Ankur's dream?? - Page 6

tanthya thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: poppy2009

Tantha, b2011,

All that discussion on Mouna Raagam had me scouring through youtube and I saw some parts of the film once again! I cannot believe that even after more than 20 years, that film not only looks fresh, but also seems so relevant!😲 Its like a visual treatise on an arranged marriage! That's Mani Sir, for you!

Deepika needs improvement, pronto! Her expression's and dialouge delivery are very weak, to say the least! And one cannot give the excuse that she is new ect, ect! There are many newcomers who do a spectacular job in their first show itself! Besides, the girl also lacks in screen-presence!

I am counting on some good chemistry between Anas and Deepika...they do look very nice in the title song! And sometimes, when you are opposite a good actor, it kinds of rubs off on you! Lets wait and see!

Bhabho seems to have calmed down a bit in yesterday's episode!

Poppy same here 😆😆😆... went to  YT  and saw  Mounaragam bits... Not only the movie , even the BG score [listening again to it after a long time ] appears timeless  !! ..Mouna Ragam N Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal [ esp the last part  n Sowcar Janaki bit]  expressed  Marriage beautifully, I think...

Yes, My Heart sinks when  I realize that the stoy is about to begin and the Heorine is ill-prepared .Bhabhosa at least has toned down and does not shout indiscriminately like previous episodes ..

Screen presence perhaps will come when she gets a bit more confidence  .. saw her in ra.1 launch..she seemed  to be  bit gauche and retiring type .. she needs to overcome that ..

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

poppy2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Revathy has always been a dear favorite of mine! She has such an expressive face! Have you seen her directorial debut? Mitra, my friend! Another gem of a movie!

On another note, I will be away for about a week or so! (Travelling to India) So will be missing DABH, the show and the forum!

C you guys!😊
Opti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Ankur is selfish because:

1.He is forcing a marriage on a girl who is not ready for marriage only because it would leave him free to go to the U.S.

2.He has not revealed anything about the groom or his family either to his wife or his sister for fear that they may not agree to the match. This when he himself knows very well that his sister will be a misfit in the house she is going into because the groom's family wanted an uneducated girl who is good at managing a house and the groom himself has limited education.

3.As far as the question of exploring other options is concerned, he should have done so, which he did not because at the back of his mind, he never considered his sister's dreams seriously. Even before his parents' death, he had taken the liberty of finding a groom for her without consulting his parents or his sister.  He seems like a real MCP who thinks women have to just tow the line drawn by the men in their lives, be it brother, father or husband.

4.After the loss of his parents he had taken a vow to fulfill the incomplete responsibilities of his father. Seeing Sandhya as an IPS officer was not only the dream of his sister but also that of his father. So what became of that promise? 

5.He is selfish from the point of view of Suraj's family too because he hid the truth about his sister's educated status from them too. He knew if they are aware of the truth, they may not agree to the wedding and he cannot go abroad as planned.

Even if we presume that the town they live in does not have hostels or paying guest accommodation, he could have taken her to the nearest metro and found such a hostel for her. After all he did have 15 days to do so. Instead of trying to fix up a marriage in that time he should have tried to do this instead.  In case of these efforts fail and he is not able to fix up a safe place for his sister, he should have stayed back.  Being the head of the family he should have fulfilled his responsibility and sometimes responsibilities come with sacrifices.  It cannot be helped.

At the end of the day he failed in his duty as a brother, especially one who had assumed the role of a father in the absence of his own parents.  If today his wife is able to accompany him to the U.S. it is because his sister was willing to let her parents mortgage the house in which she too had a share.

As to realising his own dream, he could have done so at a later date also. It is not that he will never get another opportunity.  He wanted to play God in his sister's life.  I'm sure he will have a miserable life in the U.S. because the recession will break out and the guy may lose his job.
Edited by Opti - 12 years ago
b2011 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Agree with you Opti.  Ankur's is preoccupied with the US job and he is not thinking about anyone else, not even his wife.  Then, how will he think of his sister.
Opti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Poppy, Mouna Ragam is a classic and I love it to pieces but the entire theme in that movie is very different from this one.  There the girl did not want to get married because she couldn't get over her lover who was killed. There the lover was the misfit, a college drop out who took to goondagiri to get justice (modern day Robin Hood types) whereas the girl was good in academics. The man she married was also well qualified and educated. The so-called incompatibility came because of the girl's reluctance to move on in life. Here the husband is the one who is less educated. The girl had no past lover and is reluctant to get married because she wanted to pursue her dream of becoming an IPS officer. It is a dream she had nourished for years and not some infactuation she developed in a few months (as had happened in Mouna Ragam).  Another important point of difference was that the couple lived alone. There was no in-law problem to contend with. Here the girl is going into a huge joint family which has its own dynamics.  Each person there is a specimen.  So barring a loving and caring husband, she really has no other support and in fact will only be facing more hurdles. The husband is also not in an enviable position because the guy absolutely adores his mother and was expecting to get a wife who will take care of her and run the house and instead he is getting a girl who knows nothing about managing a house or managing the demands of diverse people. So how will he please his family and also support her?  It is going to be a huge challenge for poor Suraj as it is going to be for Sandhya to adjust in a household such as the Rathis. Also she would have no mental compatibility with Suraj given the limited education he has. We know that love will finally conquer all.  I'm sure waiting to see how this story develops.    
Edited by Opti - 12 years ago
Angelbud thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
This thread just personifies what's wrong with equal rights in India! I've had an email from a friend who knows one of the writers of the show and he said this topic  must simply have been created to get attention by the person who started it!

We all know that the very issue of Ankur choosing to meet his needs before his sister regardless of the excuses was wrong on any level that one could consider!! Its creators hope was that people would support women's freedom to choose independently! 

Tanthya once again had either used this issue to sensationalise her self or shes actually determined to support men!  Don't men have enough support already in India!  I'm not surprised really as most of the posts this particular member has made are all about herself and her desire to put women down!!not actually about DABH!  Real shame and a waist of production time!

Please think before starting these threads Tanthya!  Think bout women under oppression not just your need for attention!

Edited by Angelbud - 12 years ago
Amor. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
This content was originally posted by: tanthya

They can show that  Hostel has no vacancy and the people are hesitant to take a young girl as a PG or the men are reacting in a diff manner when they realize that a naujawan  ladki  leading Ankur to decide that safety of Sandhya can be achieved  if she is  married into a house which will allow her to study..

y cant the show makes take we IFians as thr creatives 😳
Angelbud thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Angelbud

This thread just personifies what's wrong with equal rights in India! I've had an email from a friend who knows one of the writers of the show and he said this topic  must simply have been created to get attention by the person who started it!

We all know that the very issue of Ankur choosing to meet his needs before his sister regardless of the excuses was wrong on any level that one could consider!! Its creators hope was that people would support women's freedom to choose independently! 

Tanthya once again had either used this issue to sensationalise her self or shes actually determined to support men!  Don't men have enough support already in India!  I'm not surprised really as most of the posts this particular member has made are all about herself and her desire to put women down!!not actually about DABH!  Real shame and a waist of production time!

Please think before starting these threads Tanthya!  Think bout women under oppression not just your need for attention!

Yes!
_mahi_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6
I loved reading all the replies here except SOME you know..😆
I am glad that our Forum has sucha brilliant people who understand and have great POVs about the show😳
your answers actually answered some of my questions😛
thanks to you all👏.. for being sucha wonderful members😃

I dont know what to say about Ankur🤔.. I guess first of all,, everything happened so fast and Ankur was probably not ready and not matured enough to think about what is wrong and what is right.😕
and i am sure, as other members stated previously, Marriage was not the only option for Ankur.. 😭
he definitely has some relatives and he could have sent Sandhya to their house for 2 years. 😊

well.. i hope CVs will get new ideas by reading your wonderful thread Tanthya😃
Keep it up dear👍🏼

Angelbud thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: _mahi_

I loved reading all the replies here except SOME you know..😆

I am glad that our Forum has sucha brilliant people who understand and have great POVs about the show😳
your answers actually answered some of my questions😛
thanks to you all👏.. for being sucha wonderful members😃

I dont know what to say about Ankur🤔.. I guess first of all,, everything happened so fast and Ankur was probably not ready and not matured enough to think about what is wrong and what is right.😕
and i am sure, as other members stated previously, Marriage was not the only option for Ankur.. 😭
he definitely has some relatives and he could have sent Sandhya to their house for 2 years. 😊

well.. i hope CVs will get new ideas by reading your wonderful thread Tanthya😃
Keep it up dear👍🏼

Please try to make sense! Are all those faces the different personalities you possess or just the confusion you feel reading this topic and of course watching DABH!😛