Karan-Sushant: Copied Concept, Good Execution :)

Posted: 12 years ago
Hello all! I haven't been a regular around here, but have been keeping up with Just Dance every now and then. It's been a bit of a disappointment, to be honest, no offence meant to anyone, but it's also had its wow moments. And I thought today was one such, with Karan Khanna and Sushant Singh Rajput's act on Kaminey. Didn't see a topic on it, so I thought I'd make one. They were brilliant, both of them. Sushant, for me, was the best celebrity partner tonight, and I think he more than matched Karan at every step. And Karan, Contemporary being his forte, was great as always.

There's only one little issue I had, though. The concept was a lift off from an act on So You Think You Can Dance 7, a Contemporary routine by Travis Wall. And I'm afraid some steps were from there too. I know this isn't the first time something like this is happening, plenty of dance reality shows have lifted concepts, I just wish they'd also give the credit where it is due. A major share of the beauty of that piece was in its conceptualisation, as a choreographer's personal expression of a friendship lost, and I would have liked it if someone had given some credit to the original, especially when the conceptualisation and story were being applauded.

Tonight's piece was different too, though, in its own way. It had quite a few original points as well, and most importantly of all, I thought it was executed to perfection, pretty much. I also liked the switch they made between Black and White: where in the SYTYCD version the Black was the backstabber, Harshall-Vitthal decided to quirk the stereotype and make the White backstab instead. Nicely done. And the ending was fabulous, although the first half of that step is from the original, they used it to round off the act to form a full circle really well.

What do you guys think? 😊

P.S. For those who may be interested, here's a video of the original SYTYCD routine :

Cheers!
Edited by nandinidev - 12 years ago
Alright the video isn't playing for me but even if its a copied concept i was completely blown over by Karan - Sushant's performance.. i thought it was quietly BRILLIANT! The best duet on Just Dance stage performed to perfection. Farah was so true when she said this act had no props or any thing over the top it had just 'pure dance'! The guys executed it really reaalllyyy well! 

I am definately rooting for Karan Khanna to win this show especiallyy after this one! ðŸ˜³
^^ Agree. Most of the choreography was original, to be fair. And both Karan and Sushant danced it to perfection, in every way possible. Good stuff. Oh, and the embedded videos aren't working for some odd reason, so I've put in the direct YT link. Do have a look. That's a brilliant routine too, in its own right. 😊 Edited by nandinidev - 12 years ago
Originally posted by nandinidev

Hello all! I haven't been a regular around here, but have been keeping up with Just Dance every now and then. It's been a bit of a disappointment, to be honest, no offence meant to anyone, but it's also had its wow moments. And I thought today was one such, with Karan Khanna and Sushant Singh Rajput's act on Kaminey. Didn't see a topic on it, so I thought I'd make one. They were brilliant, both of them. Sushant, for me, was the best celebrity partner tonight, and I think he more than matched Karan at every step. And Karan, Contemporary being his forte, was great as always.

There's only one little issue I had, though. The concept was a lift off from an act on So You Think You Can Dance 7, a Contemporary routine by Travis Wall. And I'm afraid some steps were from there too. I know this isn't the first time something like this is happening, plenty of dance reality shows have lifted concepts, I just wish they'd also give the credit where it is due. A major share of the beauty of that piece was in its conceptualisation, as a choreographer's personal expression of a friendship lost, and I would have liked it if someone had given some credit to the original, especially when the conceptualisation and story were being applauded.

Tonight's piece was different too, though, in its own way. It had quite a few original points as well, and most importantly of all, I thought it was executed to perfection, pretty much. I also liked the switch they made between Black and White: where in the SYTYCD version the Black was the backstabber, Harshall-Vitthal decided to quirk the stereotype and make the White backstab instead. Nicely done. And the ending was fabulous, although the first half of that step is from the original, they used it to round off the act to form a full circle really well.

What do you guys think? 😊

P.S. For those who may be interested, here's a video of the original SYTYCD routine :

Cheers!
omg just saw so same. Par nakal ke liye bhi akal chahiye..aur hum hindustani nakal karkey bhi insey accha product bana hi letey hain..but yes chori karke credit na dena..happens all the time in our music world.. tv world. twitter par tweets chori ho jaatein hain..log fb par original karaar karkey likhkar compliments bator rahey hotey hain.. galat hai.. that's what pains me too...like the himesh song teri meri from bodyguard is frm a romanian folk song..par woh maan hi nahi raha... so yes credit where it is due mein logo ki jaan nikal jaaati hai ..sick this is...the one disease plaguing the creative world..
the concept is same, and to some extent costume had an inspiration, but both the dances were quite different.
 After seeing this dance, i feel we Indians still lag a lot behind in the contemporary ballet section, i mean those guys were elastics, specially some of the turns they took were amazing, and i really havent seen many trained contemporary dancers in india come even closer, even not the girls( the reason i say even girls coz girls are more into ballet and classical stuff in India than guys).
these two guys are amazingly light on put, wonderful extentions and wonderful transitions.

coming to sushant and karan, it was definitely not at the level of this one and it will be foolish to compare the  two performances in terms of quality.  Also their contemporary was more on emotion and floor movement, while the guys in the video had more extentions and turns imo.

anyways, still this one was the best of todays JD.  rajit and sayantani started well but were kinda  uncomfortable with the table, abhas and sahir were good but its kinda the been there done that, saumita shaleen were very low on energy, saumita's catwheel was the only time i even paid her attention, all the other time it was shaleen, surjeet , mouni kinda stole it for me with her acting once the blind girl gets back eyesight,  ankan and neha were quite overrated today. 

So in all, best act, with almost perfect balance: as expected, sushant and karan.
Hey Nandini, remember me? *waves*

I'm so glad to see you here again! We Sushant fans have been gung ho about his performance ever since we came to know he was performing!

I didn't know Karan- Sushant's  was an inspired performance or something like this... had no idea... but I do know that JD has been lifting concepts from other shows, the most notorious example being Laga Chunri Mein Daag from DID, which was also performed in ZNKD! 😆

Ah well, coming back to the topic:

I haven't seen many performances on JD to ascertain whether it was the best or not, I also frankly do not know the LEVEL of dancing of JD to decide whether it was difficult and different by JD standards, and I don't know how the judges usually comment and how often they give standing ovations- but keeping in mind only this performance- IT WAS GREAT! A beautiful, neat, clean performance, one which is capable of giving you goosebumps. The song in itself has a haunting feel to it, and along with that, I loved the execution- the dance started with soft moves, very graceful (according to the music) and then there were some portions which seemed violent/defensive (the stabbing one, the fighting) and very physically trying, (such as the one where Karan jumped on Sushant's shoulder, or the one where Sushant lifted him coolly, or the stabbing one) and all of it was collaborated in the dance. I loved how it was done with the beats. It didn't look like mere stunts or fighting. I liked the ending too- in which Sushant didn't complete the soft step (in which he spun Karan round slowly) that they had done in the beginning, and rather pushed him away and let him fall. Excellent touch!

Then there was a whole lot of scope for expressions, and I loved that too- the stabbing scene, as Farah well described it, the only difference that I liked Sushant more in the scene than Karan- Sushant left an impact in that one by his terrific body language. Karan's expressions were more impressive in the beginning half of the song I felt, (he was lipsyncing, maybe that is why) and Sushant's were more impressive in the later half of the song. Karan has great poise- I liked the balancing on one leg very much. Sushant was also great in the dragging scene and... well I could just go on and on describing it all again. 

I have yet to watch the rest of the performances of tonight, so I can't say how good it was in comparison to the rest. All I can say is that I felt I was reliving JDJ days. I was literally clapping when Vaibhavi and Farah showered praises on both of them.

Karan and Sushant totally rocked it! LOVED the performance! 
Edited by nikitagmc - 12 years ago
@jaynragz...lol. True, that. And I had no idea about Himesh's song! Seriously? 😲

@Tannistha...oh, there's absolutely no question of comparison in terms of technicality. Like you said, they're two different routines with different key-notes. The SYTYCD one's more geared towards perfect technique and JD is more towards the emotion and floor-work. Aside from the few exactly replicated steps, the latter has a fair share of original and fairly good choreography too. And really well executed by Karan and Sushant. I do also agree with you on Indian dancers and Contemporary/Ballet. I am yet to see a good pirouette on an Indian dance reality show, for instance. Long way to go there, it would seem. Let's hope better times with better trained contenders in these forms come along in good time. 😊
Do not really watch Just Dance but had my first experience with the show since Sushant was performing. 

I think choreographers should really do self-introspection and not consider their audience to be naive to global dance performances with internet opening avenues for larger audience base. 

Some moves were direct lift off while others were executed differently...seeing both performance one can surely do two plus two four. Karan-Sushant's was however more dramatic in feel. 

Coming to the fact that Indians lack in front of contemporary dance style or might as well any other western dance form...it is true however understandable and justified too. Mostly dancers in India begin their tutelage in Indian forms of kathak, bharatnatyam, kuchipudi... contemporary and western styles are extension of this learning. One would not expect westerners to do a mudras and bends perfectly either. 

Indeed there should be better routines in western forms but I also feel that dance reality shows should promote more of the Indian dances which I think they mostly ignore with only bollywood style being highlighted. 
Btw I loved the song choice...that took the performance at another level...the steps matched the lyrics.   
nandini hi : )))
going thru this topic .. jdj ki yaad aa gayi lol ... :p