•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago

Anas is back on telly!

• September 17, 2011 
  • By A.L. Chougule
Anas is back on telly!

Remember Anas Rashid, who made his debut in the country's most talked-about late-night show, Kahiin To Hoga on Star Plus, where he played Kartik Ahluwalia, business tycoon. He later reappeared on television playing one of the most powerful kings of India, Prithvi Raj Chauhan.
Now Anas will be back on Star Plus playing a new character in a Rajasthan-based family drama.

Why did you take such a long sabbatical from television?
It was a kind of forced sabbatical because I signed Dia Aur Baati Hum almost a year ago. But the show kept getting delayed and though I was getting offers for other shows I decided to stick to my commitment.

Which meant you were without work for a while.
Well, the show's makers (Shashi and Sumeet Mittal) are basically writers and I found them very genuine. I was impressed by their writing, too. The show is based in a small town and I could identify with the story and my character
You play an uneducated mithai-shop owner…
Sooraj is a well-intentioned, good-hearted guy who ends up marrying a girl who wants to join the civil services. He supports her in her dream but society calls him a jodu ka ghulam. There are lots of interesting nuances to the character. Misunderstandings crop up between husband and wife and many things happen to them.

You used to run a cafeteria in your hometown in Punjab. Did the experience help you?
Experience always helps. That's why it was easy for me to understand the character and his background.

You are shown making jalebees in the serial.
Professional jalebeewala was called on the sets to teach me. But since I am an experienced cook I started making the jalebees on my own and from the second day the jalebeewala was sent packing!
I learnt cooking at home and picked up different recipes by visiting eating places in Delhi and Lucknow.

Do you cook for yourself?
No I don't. I have a boy at my place in Mumbai who does most of the cooking. You can't cook well when you are working and stressed.

And acting...
The acting dream began when I participated in an event and won the title of Mr. Punjab in 2005. I tried my hand at Punjabi music videos. The experience helped me become camera friendly.

You sing and paint too...
I still nurture the dream of becoming a singer and will pursue singing in future. Right now I am concentrating on acting. I paint sometimes, but since you need a lot of time for that, I am now into sketching.