What is justified and what is not?

woman11 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
Hello guys,
Watching today's episode made me think of an issue we had been debating in our Feminism class the other day. I really want to hear your views on this:

1. A few days back there was a hospital scene and Jagya had shouted at Gauri for not cooking proper food. Gauri had packed some sandwiches for their night duty and Jagya was majorly disappointed for the lack of Gauri's housekeeping skills. We all hated Jagya for shouting at Gauri and called him an MCP.

2. Yesterday, Jagya got some nice breakfast for Gauri and Gauri rejected it promptly, hurting Jagya's feelings. Incidentally, Jagya had done the same thing with Anandi and hurt her feelings. We had found that behavior of his inexcusable and hated him for hurting Anandi like that. However, did we find Gauri's behavior equally offensive?

3. Today, Gauri threw a huge showdown regarding the clothes. Jagya admitted his mistake and kept his cool, but Gauri went on blasting him, in spite of him saying that he will get the clothes right away. How many of us found that behavior offensive? What would have been our reaction if it was Jagya who had shouted on Gauri regarding housework? Wouldn't we call him an MCP?

Lets forget all the baggage that Jagya and Gauri carry in the context of their past and Anandi. Lets just take Jagya and Gauri as a normal, young couple, both working in hectic jobs and trying to manage the house without much help. Working out a marriage, especially, in such circumstances need a lot of patience and effort from both partners. Interestingly enough, I have seen many of my friends and myself, losing our temper the way Gauri did today, even with co-operative husbands. We blow it when the husbands fail in their tasks, but would hate it if our husbands do the same. Immediately, it will be an issue of them being an MCP.πŸ˜†

And that's precisely my question:
1. Do we, as modern, progressive women, take certain things for granted and behave in a certain way without consequences, though we won't tolerate the same behavior from the men?
2. Did feminism breed a skewed concept of political righteousness where women are excused of certain things that men are not allowed in a liberal, progressive context?
3. Should we re-consider the traditional concepts of patience, compassion, forgiveness, compromise which---since they were long associated with womanhood---are now almost sinful words for women?
4. Do we need to strike a balance and modify the flaws of radical feminism for a more collaborative feminism?

What do you think? πŸ˜‰ We had such a fierce debate in our class and I really want to hear what you guys think? Lets do some self introspectionπŸ˜‰ I am not talking about the rural, patriarchal, regressive families that are oppressive for women. I am talking about these issues in the context of a progressive, liberal family where both the man and the woman are economically independent and share the same liberties.

Disclaimer: Please do not treat this topic as the much hackneyed debate between supporting Gauri-Anandi-Jagya. I mentioned Gauri and Jagya just as examples, the point is to discuss what happens in larger society in terms of a man-woman relationship and why is it that some men feel oppressed in marriage πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

Edited by woman11 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

persistence thumbnail
Well, it would be a problem if either party is not carrying their weight in the partnership. Gauri appears to be upset over not keeping with his share of responsibilities, and not because jagya can't do housework. I haven't seen the episode, so my interpreation of your words.
The expecation that certain chores/roles are for one gender alone is offensive; not the thought that a woman is expecting her man to follow through his share of responsibilities (even the ones traditionally associated with the female gender). In your examples of GJ shouting over food stuff -- I think jagya's behavior was considered offensive because we assumed that critique of housekeeping skills came from a place of a woman not knowing work she is supposed to know. For gauri, the critique was assumed to be limited to the food itself, and not projected to gender related issues. Hence the differences in labeling of their behavior.  
persistence thumbnail
Should we re-consider the traditional concepts of patience, compassion, forgiveness, compromise which---since they were long associated with womanhood---are now almost sinful words for women?
I don't think so, and don't believe they are "sinful words for women". True that such qualities are associated with women more than men...perhaps, because of role of women in history/past...but the concepts themselves are not flawed, and should be cultivated in both men and women. What is flawed is our association of concepts to one gender over the other...both concepts and our association of gender to concept is a human construct. It's the latter human construct that is flawed in my opinion.
andv thumbnail
A good topic Antara.

As i look at it, marriage is a constant give and take. The expectations and acceptation of roles mainly depend on the understanding between the couple. I can give you my example coz that's what I can best relate to. There are certain things which my husband can do better than me and vice versa. So we have an understanding that each of us respectively takes care of that job. There are many such chores both in the house and outside the house which we do as per our time schedule.

What I am really aiming to emphasize here is that as far as possible we do not get into a competition or for that matter keep and account of who does more than the other. Whatever chores whether in the house or outside the house is after all our job together so it doesn't make a difference who does it. There are times when I am busy and he takes care of stuff and vice versa. We give each other's career and life equal importance coz at the end of the day what we both do together is how our life is going to shape. i guess the most important thing in any relationship is communication. Its always best to express exactly how you feel weather good or bad. This will give a clear indication as to what one likes and what they dislike. Not expressing the bad will push it into the subconscious and may come out as an outburst at some point of time like what happened in Gauri's and Jagya's case today.

There are a few women I know who consider themselves to be too modern to do any household work like cooking and cleaning and put the whole pressure on their husbands. In a married relationship why should there be any dignity of labor in the first place? Why consider yourself to be over and above all these household chores. Its your house after all and you also live in it. Ego and trying to prove yourself better than your partner can be the biggest deterrents in a marriage. Both man and woman do have equal rights in a marriage and these rights also come with equal duties. Why always refresh our minds of our rights and push our duties aside? At the end of the day one married the person who they loved so if one does something more for his/her partner, is that going to harm one in any way?
Edited by andv - 12 years ago
woman11 thumbnail
Excellent replies persistence.

Even I believe the same thing. There are gender expectations associated with certain tasks and concepts and failure to do so can cause serious issues. But the point is, things are not this simplified always. Maybe Jagya expected Gauri to cook because of his own conditioning in a patriarchal family, but imagine a situation like this. Suppose it's the wife's turn to cook and she cooks something paltry or insufficient-------if the husband complains, it becomes as issue of chauvinism and an insensitive husband. But suppose it's the husband's turn to cook and he cooks something equally bad and the wife complains, ignoring how the husband will feel. Will that justify the wife's actions just because society doesn't expect men to cook and hence it's not a gender issue? I have seen many cases where feminist progressiveness have been misused and misconstrued to give rise to another form of power hierarchy, only this time it is the woman who has the upper hand. The point is power inequality of any form is unacceptable, whether be it the man or the woman, and it is even more unfortunate if the inconsistency is built on an ideology that seeks to correct the imbalance.
I personally think we should use the privileges granted by feminism with judiciousness, keeping a careful eye that it doesn't lead to an alternative form of imbalance. "With great power comes great responsibility" 😊. And sometimes, it is the misuse of certain feminist rights, often in a reactionary way, that often put off sections of society from embracing and practicing feminism more enthusiastically.
Feminism isn't about paying it back to men or taking an upper hand over them, feminism seeks to undo the wrong and put the man and the woman on an equal standing where both share equal rights. 

Edited by woman11 - 12 years ago
woman11 thumbnail
Originally posted by: andv

A good topic Antara.
There are a few women I know who consider themselves to be too modern to do any household work like cooking and cleaning and put the whole pressure on their husbands. In a married relationship why should there be any dignity of labor in the first place? Why consider yourself to be over and above all these household chores. Its your house after all and you also live in it. Ego and trying to prove yourself better than your partner can be the biggest deterrents in a marriage. Both man and woman do have equal rights in a marriage and these rights also come with equal duties. Why always refresh our minds of our rights and push our duties aside? At the end of the day one married the person who they loved so if one does something more for his/her partner, is that going to harm one in any way?

Love your reply AnithaπŸ‘. Absolutely agree on the point of equal partnership and co-operation. And that's precisely why I think both the partners should be considerate and patient to each other. Jagya and Gauri are both responsible for their household chores and both should be patient to each other's failings in completing them. As much as I find it offensive for Jagya to shout at Gauri for not cooking well, Gauri's OTT reaction at Jagya's failing today, in spite of Jagya ready to rectify his mistake, was a turn off.

sreevask thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
        I bet this is gonna b THE BEST TOPIC ever in the history of the forums.ThanQ 4 ur sensibility in bringing out the life's essentials thru eternal facts.

In fact,every custom & tradition is the outcome of time tested practices relevant to that context comprising of social setup,means of living,etc.,Hence there's no point in judging their validity for all times...as they are bound to change just as the life style changes...

FORGET EVERY THING...JUST REMEMBER THE LIFE's GOAL OF HAPPINESS..AS EVERY THING MUST MOVE TOWARDS THAT END.AFTER A LOT OF EXPERIMENTATION WE FIND THAT IT IS A COLLECTIVE PROPERTY RATHER THAN AN INDIVIDUAL ONE.

As long as we believe in the collective happiness, we WILL be happy.As long as we remember that we came here to enjoy the life with all it's variety,we forget n forgive every thing n every one to that extent that we may live in happiness.           

We learn many things in joint family as it is a mini society,as it teaches the sharing without dividing,caring without bearing,sacrificing without losing,fighting without getting hurt,because every member believes in individual happiness next to collective happiness NEVER at the cost of it.The same logic applies every where..in the society as,it is a joint family at macro level.

Whether it is husband or wife or boss,as long as we believe in our strength we can enjoy the game without fear of loss.For husband or wife, responsibility and right depends on the might of commitment with love.As long as we love to serve,every thing follows us provided that we must learn to treat cow as a cow & donkey as a donkey.

If every one knows your heart, where's chance of conflict?

So we must take time to introspect to clarify our stand as it solves 100 riddles.

So we do what all that we can do with all the limitations,& express our inability to do the things we can not do..there will never be a question of doing or not doing as long as we are clear..frustration & all such emotions are context based & normally doesn't last long unless we add fuel to the fire..
We can't convey our stand in a hot environment..there's time for every thing...

J n G are young couple & certainly need some time 2 learn things till they reach an equilibrium.
Edited by sreevask - 12 years ago
Pranjjal thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
There are many men whom r just lazy to do or help household works. Its not their attitude problem but just laziness.
Or they simply can't do it, but now a days many are understandable atleast
they don't force their wives to do everthing by themselves,trying to make it easy or adjust for wives. But its hard time to teach our sons to help in household works so that they can be independent as well.
Its a quality women can do multitasking at a time but men can not. Some are trying hard Poor onesπŸ˜†
andv thumbnail
@Antara, I have no intentions of starting a JG war here but just wanted to continue our discussion with the example of a young couple like J and G. In the context of mutual understanding and cooperation: That's where maturity and love for each other comes in. Maturity will help you analyze the situation and the behavior of your partner while keeping your head firmly on your shoulders and mutual love and respect will not make you feel stressed in case you happen to do something a little more than the other.Infact that thought would not cross your mind either. Love cannot be measured by how many gifts your partner gave you or if he proposed to you in a dramatic fashion, or by just looking eye to eye and saying the three words. Although that may also be needed but its not the real measure of the strength of your relationship in my opinion. How much of each other do you understand and how much you can do for the other without feeling pressurized is what will make your marriage smooth. Its these little things in day to day living that actually gives you the value of your love for each other.  

I agree I did not like J shouting at G nor did I like G's behaviour today. I did mention the same in my post too in the written update post. Those kinds of fights I feel are very kiddish. Fortunately or unfortunately they both are of the same temperament. Both are immature, very impulsive, hot tempered, not ready to listen to what the other has to say and at the same time egoistic. This may be true for many other young couples in real life too but probably with time they may change and understand the realities of life. That's also one of the reasons I wanted J and G to fend for themselves and understand how difficult life can get when you are out of that comforted shell of your parent's financial support. J would have understood the realities of life and may just have valued his family a little more. but well the CVs have other ideas...
tinoo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: woman11

Hello guys,
Watching today's episode made me think of an issue we had been debating in our Feminism class the other day. I really want to hear your views on this:

1. A few days back there was a hospital scene and Jagya had shouted at Gauri for not cooking proper food. Gauri had packed some sandwiches for their night duty and Jagya was majorly disappointed for the lack of Gauri's housekeeping skills. We all hated Jagya for shouting at Gauri and called him an MCP.

2. Yesterday, Jagya got some nice breakfast for Gauri and Gauri rejected it promptly, hurting Jagya's feelings. Incidentally, Jagya had done the same thing with Anandi and hurt her feelings. We had found that behavior of his inexcusable and hated him for hurting Anandi like that. However, did we find Gauri's behavior equally offensive?

Hi woman11 - I watch balika vadhu for a broader understanding of social paradigms, and analyze the characters for a broader understanding of human nature -- and not necessarily the narrow story of anandi-jagya and gauri triangle, so I very much appreciate this topic and applaud you for the broader intellectual stimulation provided by starting a thread like this πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘.

I have some things to say, but right now will limit my thread to 1 and 2.

1. In terms of  your point no 1  -- yes jagya shouted at gauri-- but it wasnt because of her housekeeping skills because he told her that if she was not able to do it, then he would clearly have brought two thalis from the canteen when the canteen was still open.  Here, I believe that jagya's shouting is justified and it is gauri's fault for not giving him a heads up earlier

He likes a good thali of food (and she knows that or atleast by now should know what her husbands eating tastes are) and he could only be labelled an MCP if he insisted that she be the one to cook a five course meal every day and refused to eat outside at all. 

His anger was more to the fact that she did not tell him knowing fully well that he does not like tomato sandwiches.  He was very clear that he would have got something from outside.

If my husband tells me in the morning -- "I feel a craving for tandoori chicken tonight -- and if you cant make it at home, let  me know and I will pick up tandoori at a restaurant" -- then clearly he is not an MCP if he arrives home and finds that neither have I made it at home, nor did I call him and let him know before the restaurants closed so he could pick it up from outside.

He can only be called an MCP if he badgers me to make tandoori chicken for me and says that he will eat only tandoori made from my hands... and then gets angry with me for not making it. But if he gives me a choice, then very clearly, I have a responsibility to indicate to him that I will not be making it and give him the option of picking it up.

Did I hate Jagya in the scene ? -- yes. but not because he shouted at gauri, but because once again he remembered anandi's food later. 

2) In terms of point # 2 -- the similarity between jagya shouting at anandi for the oily breakfast, and gauri shouting at jagya for oily breakfast -- I dont think the two incidents are comparable. You ask if we found gauri's behaviour equally offensive for shouting at jagya -- and if we let her off the hook because she was a woman.

My answer is that I let gauri off the hook for her behaviour towards jagya not because she is a woman, but because her intentions were not evil.  In Jagya's behaviour towards anandi, he was cruel with intention of hurting her, and this is what I found offensive, which is why I judge him more harshly.

When jagya shouted at anandi for heavy ghee food, he had an agenda of insulting anandi -- so the attack on the food was a 'proxy war' on anandi herself.  At the time, jagya was going through the turmoil of being married to anandi and not wanting to continue being married to her -- he is a spineless coward and knowing fully well that he had no genuine reasons to dislike anandi, he began manufacturing reasons in his mind to rationalize that she was not his laayak -- and to justify (to himself, and later to others) why he need not be faithful in his marriage by belittling her gawar ways to her gawar ghee-laden food etc.  

A man with courage would have simply said "I dont love anandi anymore" and there would be no reasons/justification required in integrity.

Not only at that time, but I find myself hating Jagya more now, because of retroactive hatred. I mean if he had these principles of eating a light breakfast, he could be standing true to his words and eating light just now - BUT HE HIMSELF GOES SHOPPING FOR OILY PARATHAS FOR BREAKFAST? I hate him for being a hypocrite as well as cruel.

As I said, the reason I hate Jagya is because his attack on the food was not an attack on the food, it was a proxy attack on anandi herself...and done knowing fully well that this is the way that food is cooked in jayetsar, and that ghee in food = a measure of love -- and not a way that a wife poisons her husband into heart disease and cholesterol.

However, gauri rejecting jagat's oily parathas had no other agenda to hurt jagat.  She simply did not like oily food... the rejection of the food was not done with the intention of hurting or rejecting jagat...In addition, she is aware that Jagat knows the dangers of oily ghee laden food (which anandi did not in the reverse situation), so she is puzzled as to why he is so 'petu'.   And she said she prefers fruit.  It was not done with the intention of belittling jagat to make him feel small or to humiliate him.

And Gauri has clarity in her stand -- she will eat fruits or something light for breakfast. I doubt she will change her eating habits if she ends up with another man -- so no hypocrisy there.

Therefore, I dont think that this is a gender issue at all -- and not about feminism -- it is really about the broader framework of intention and cruelty -- more than the cooking of breakfast or gender roles in breakfast-making.

I dont find gauri's behaviour offensive in this situation because her intentions were not cruel when she said no to the oily food.  And there was genuine surprise that jagat being a doctor had no commonsense about eating well.

I do find jagat's behaviour offensive because his intentions were cruel and designed to humiliate anandi when he said no to the oily food... particularly when anandi had no background/orientation to 'western' health issues. In her mind, she was genuinely being loving by pouring extra ghee on to everything because in her own jayetsarian context -- ghee = health.  He knew the context and was still mean to her.

More later... πŸ˜†

Thanks for starting this topic.

Tinoo