The Significance of the Name "Kastur"...

Elizabeth Darcy thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
...besides being the name of the REAL Mohandas K Gandhi's wife I mean hehe ðŸ˜‰

Considering that Kastur is really the name of a scent - that of the musk deer's, which can be found only in its navel and which runs all across the forest in search of - I wondered whether there were any implications of her name to the embodiment of Krishna, considering she is his devotee and she compares her love for Mohan with Radha's/Meera's for Krishna. 

Incidently I found this bit of info from a thread on the Kasturi forum: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/601219

Kasturi

is a most beautiful name. It actually means musk, the fragrance found in the musk deer. As Swamiji says, the musk deer chases the wonderful smell that is actually inside its own body. However, the devotee who is blessed with the name Kasturi should not run from one external pleasure to another trying to find happiness and satisfaction. Knowing that the great fragrance of Divinity is within, the aspirant should dive deep inside and know the inner kasturi, which is the fragrance of spiritual self-knowledge. Having found the glorious perfume of Divinity inside, never again will the aspirant rely on externals or be disillusioned by the world, knowing that all is the play of the Divine. Different names are often added to the word kasturi. Kasturirangan is a name of Lord Krishna. It means fragrant divine love, divine music and the divine play of the Lord.

Kinda interesting, actually...😊 Not sure of the exact truth in this, but it looks convincing enough!

If this is correct, then it also has implications on Mohan too - Kastur, true to her name, searches within for solutions to her problems, instead of externalising the problems and making them stumbling blocks, as Naramda-vau does, she tries her best to convert them into solutions by changing her perspective. Her presence in Mohan's life would then encourage him to discover his own hidden 'kasturi', from which will begin his transformation into a social leader, methinks.

Right, like that will happen, considering this is a TV SERIAL 😆 

Edited by Elizabeth Darcy - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Fangirl_Annie thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
lizzy ji aap gr88 ho! nd de name kastur.. i really lyke it!
iheartChai thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Very interesting tidbit you found.

We will see what happens as the show progresses 😃