Ever changing character wardrobe of Rani Mukerji

.Alluring. thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
The ever changing character wardrobe of Rani Mukerji

Source: Pinkvilla

Part 1  Part 2

Inspired by a Filmfare article, I thought I'd put my own spin on this.

Rani Mukerji is known to be one of the most versatile actresses around. You can't accuse her of being boring, because she has done a variety of roles, and all with ease. Each of her characters has had specific styling to bring the characters to life. Let's take a look back at Ranis most rememberd roles and how the fashion had a lot to do with cementing and branding the characters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ghulam- 1998

Rani played the role of Alisha, a rich spoilt bratty girl. Ranis wardrobe was quite girly, short dresses, short skirts and tight clothing. Her rebellious side was also shown, when she got together with her biker boyfriend. Leather jackets and a lot of black were also a style staple for Alisha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai - 1998

Who can forget Tina Malhotra? Although she was only a supporting actress, her beauty and style got her noticed. Playing the role of an international student, Tina's wardrobe reeked of glamour. Short tight skirts, a lot of flesh on display, and the odd shalwar kameez made Tina irressistable. I can't get over how short her dress was in "Koi Mil Gaya"! The hair and makeup were also impeccable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bichoo ' 2000

One of the more "different" looks that Rani has sported, playing Kiran was certainly a turning point. Rani, once again was sporting short dresses and skirts in this movie. Piercings, tattoos and chokers were Kirans style staple. She was a bad ass girl with a bad ass dress sense to boot!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Ram ' 2000

This was the first time we got to see a very unglamorous Rani. Till this, most of her outfits had been short, sexy and playful. She played Aparna, a Bengali housewife. She managed to play this role with ease, especially because the styling was so suited to her. Big bindis, saris and tied up hair were all that was required. The look made a statement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nayak - 2001

The role of Manjari and her wardrobe were quite complex. She was an innocent village girl, often seen sporting pigtails. Saris in bright vivid colours, and flowers in the hair were commonly seen on Manjari. Her wardrobe changed dramatically in some of the songs. Manjari was seen transforming into a princess warrior like female. All in all, this was a very interesting wardrobe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saathiya - 2002

Suhani was perhaps one of the more relatable characters that Rani has played. Her role of a medical student meant that her look was very natural. Simple shalwar kameez' and saris made Suhani your girl next door. The beauty of the look was in the simplicity. However, Ranis look was spiced up for the songs, especially in the title track where she was seen in bright colours, from floaty dresses to sparkly blue tops.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chalte Chalte 2003

Rani was back to her SEXY roots in this movie. Who can forget the intense smokey eyes that were part of Priyas look? The smokey eyes are now a Rani trademark. Playing the role of a fashion designer, her wardrobe was chic, sexy and very glamorous. Bright colours were used in conjunction with midi flowy skirts and boots. Gold sequinned tops were paired with jeans and belts.. Rani made an impression with this look, no doubt.

Edited by tuli.akhter - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.Alluring. thumbnail

Hum Tum - 2004
MANISH MALHOTRA

There were two looks to Rhea Prakash. The first half of the movie saw Rhea as quite a tomboyish girl, complete with short hair. I think the short bob looked great on her. The second half saw Rhea transform with her wardrobe and locks. She wore a great outfit in the song Gore Gore. The corsets flattered her figure. The rest of her wardrobe was quite simple and elegant. Scarfs, long sleeved tops and skirts were all Rheas style.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bunty Aur Babli – 2005
AKI NARULA

Definitely the most FUN, and possibly the BEST character styling for Rani! This movie was so funny and entertaining, and Vimmi Saluja's outfits just as colourful and playful. The bright shalwar kameez with the collars were an instant hit and caused many shops to sell similar designs. The outfits completely summed up Bablis personality. Traditional, but a hint of modern and spice! Vimmis alter-ego Babli played too many roles, but each character had its own style. From the high society businesswoman dressed in a white suit with mini skirt, to the gypsy with dreadlocks, there was so much fun to be had with this movie. And that was just by admiring all the colourful clothes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Black – 2005
SABYASACHI MUKHERJEE

We all know the plight of Michelle McNally. A blind, deaf and dumb girl's wardrobe is hard to brand. However, sticking with the name of the movie, most of Michelles wardrobe was very muted. It had a slight "English" touch to it. A lot of cosy knitwear, dark skirts, and those infamous sunglasses helped us to understand how simple and plain Michelles life was. The outfits couldn't do much, so all the expression was on Ranis face for this movie. Her honey coloured eyes were changed with dark brown contact lenses, there was very minimal makeup and the hair was usually tied up. Dark, sombre and very plain, that was the wardrobe of Michelle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paheli – 2005
SHALINI SARNA

To me, Rani looked so stunning in the role of Lachchi, I kind of wish she walked around like this everyday! Rajasthani clothing is so beautiful and intricate. Warm colours and intricate work on the outfits are just to die for. The jewellery was beautiful, rich and antique looking. The makeup was sensual, lots of kohl to make those tiger eyes pop. Rani suited the saris, and the more traditional Rajasthani clothing to a tee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kabhie Alvida Na Kehna – 2006
MANISH MALHOTRA

Although Maya was a conflicted character, her wardrobe was quite straightforward. Playing the role of an modern American Indian woman, Mayas wardrobe was the epitome of grace. Once again, corsets and skirts were a reguar occurrence. Maya was always looking glamorous, and the saris worn in the song "Tumhi Dekho Na" looked magnificent. As the movie was filmed in New York, in quite a cold climate, Maya was often seen wearing smart coats in a variety of colours. A stand out outfit for me, was the wedding outfit. Rani always looks beautiful in wedding outfits and the one in KANK was no exception.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saawariya – 2007
ANURADHA VAKIL

Although this was a supporting role, I just had to include this. Rani looked so beautiful playing Gulaab Ji. The retro styling looked great on her. Sexy saris, big hair, eyeliner and a nose stud completed the look of temptress Gulaab. The rose in the hair added the final touch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dil Bole Hadippa! - 2009
MANISH MALHOTRA

To me, Veera Kaurs styling was very reminiscent of Bablis. Veera was seen in mostly traditional clothing, but the colours used were very bright and vivid, once again to match her personality. The kameez's were short, but they were a mix of fabrics and patterns. Rani once again sported a nose ring, and her hair was given a fresh cut. The makeup in this movie was spot on. Ranis best feature, her eyes, were once again magnified with the use of kohl, and the foundation was just skin perfect.
We can't forget the transformation of Veera to Veer. The makeup came off, the lenses were put in and facial hair was added to make Veera look as manly as possible.
The remix of the title track, saw Rani in her best shape yet. Complete with sexy outfits, baring her toned midriff, Rani also sported a bikini top. Sexy, sizzling and completely sensual!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No One Killed Jessica - 2011
SABYASACHI MUKHERJEE

Rani played feisty foul mouthed journalist Meera. Meera was an independent working woman who didn't take any crap from anyone. As she was a busy lady, Meeras wardrobe was smart casual, yet refined. Office chic was the key look in No One Killed Jessica. Jeans, trousers, heels and shirts were all a part of the styling. The hair was left down, and the makeup was very basic too.

fly2me thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
She has done all kinds of roles.
And yeah, quite a changing wardrobe.
She can carry anything off. Beautiful girl.