Top Male Performances in the first half of 2011

MoonDesir thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Top Male Performances in the first half of 2011  

By Nikhil Ramsubramaniam, July 20, 2011 - 14:09 IST

After the superb response to Part 1 where we featured the Top Female Performances in the first half of 2011, we are back with Part 2 where you get to know the Top Male Performances in the first half of this year. Read on'

Note: The names included in this list are in no particular order and feature noteworthy performances from films released between 1st Jan 2011 and 30th June 2011 only. 

The Deols in Yamla Pagla Deewana
Ever since the first promo of Yamla Pagla Deewana featuring the 3 Deols (Dharmendra, Sunny and Bobby Deol) went on air, it created a tremendous buzz. While the Deols had featured earlier together earlier in Apne, this film projected them like never before. The Deols brought the house down with their funny antics and it was indeed time to gulp down the Patiala peg as the film went on to become a HIT at the Box Office. Be it Garam Dharam's likeable charm, Sunny's trademark action sequences or Bobby's funny one-liners, the crowd couldn't get enough of the Deol mania.

Irrfan Khan in Yeh Saali Zindagi
When you have Irrfan Khan in your film, you can be rest assured of a power packed performance from this powerhouse of talent. In Sudhir Mishra's Yeh Saali Zindagi, Irrfan got it bang on as the guy who would do anything for the girl of his dreams. His chemistry with Chitrangda brought in a fresh dimension to the plot and his dialogues as always were greeted with seetis and taalis by the gentry. Surely this was one top notch performance by the super-talented Irrfan

Salman Khan in Ready
What Superman and Spiderman can't do, our very own Salman Khan can do. After beating up the baddies in Wanted andDabangg, Salman returned to the big screen in Anees Bazmee's full on masala entertainer Ready. While the hard-nosed critics didn't find the film great, the masses lapped it up with joy. Salman played Prem (for the zillionth time in his career) and did everything from showing off his torso to singing a few 'Dhinka Chika' songs to riding a Tuk Tuk on the streets of Bangkok to win over the love of Asin. Indeed a complete One-Man show from the Darling of the Masses.

Akshay Kumar in Patiala House
In the recent past, Akshay Kumar has been seen mostly doing the buffoonery act in films like Housefull, Khatta Meetha, Tees Maar Khan, Thank You and Action Replayy. Hence it came as quite a pleasant surprise to see him play a mellow, restrained character in Patiala House. As a boy who is confused whether to chase his dreams of playing cricket for England or follow his father's order, Akki hit all the right notes which even got him critical appreciation. He conveyed a lot through his eyes rather than relying on dialogues and in the end came up with a commendable performance. Special mention must also be made of the fact that he did look convincing as a fast bowler.

Rajeev Khandelwal in Shaitan
After a superb debut in Aamir, Rajeev Khandelwal once again returned to the big screen in the much appreciated flick Shaitan. As the no-nonsense cop Arvind Mathur, Rajeev delivered a performance that both he and his fans would be proud off. While his introductory shot was stylishly filmed, the scene that remains etched in everyone's memory is the one in which Rajeev kicks an auto-rickshaw in anger when he refuses to ply. Surely here is an actor to watch out for in the days to come.

Vinay Pathak in Chalo Dilli
Vinay Pathak may have irritated the hell out of Lara Dutta's character in Chalo Dilli through his loud and crass behaviour but you can't help but appreciate this powerhouse of talent. As the loud and obnoxious Manu who keeps saying "Toh Kaunsi Badi Baat Ho Gayi", Vinay kept us in splits and even made us moist-eyed towards the emotional climax. In spite of Chalo Dilli not starring any big names, Vinay managed to carry the film almost entirely on his shoulders and that itself deserves kudos to this lovable actor.

Abhishek Bachchan in Dum Maaro Dum
Dum Maaro Dum was a crucial film for Abhishek Bachchan as the actor was going through a lean phase after duds like Raavan, Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey and Game. The actor gave it all and more for his role as ACP Vishnu Kamath in this Rohan Sippy directed film. On a mission to wipe out the drug mafia in Goa, Abhishek's Kamath was a character you took back long after the end credits had rolled. Be it his body language or his dialogue delivery or his rap track 'Thayn Thayn', Junior Bachchan was in super form in this one and hence makes it to this list of Top Male Performances.

R. Madhavan in Tanu Weds Manu
Madhavan has always proved his acting mettle time and again, however for some strange reason his solo films in Hindi have not really clicked at the Box Office. All that changed with this summer's surprise hit Tanu Weds Manu. The film had Maddy playing a NRI doctor who returns to his roots in search of a bride. Madhavan delivered a mature and restrained performance as Manu and was a perfect folly to the loud and talkative Tanu played by Kangna Ranaut. Clearly this was yet another commendable performance from Maddy. 

Besides the above mentioned names, some of the performances which did impress in the first half of 2011 included Ajay Devgn and Emraan Hashmi (Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji), Pitobash (Shor In The City), Arunoday Singh (Yeh Saali Zindagi), Prateik (Dhobi Ghat), Kartikeya Tiwari and Divyendu Sharma (Pyaar Ka Punchnama), Gulshan Devaiya and Shiv Pandit (Shaitan).

link- http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/slideshow/2011/07/20/937/index8.html

Edited by pgsks - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thats the best line-up..??  what pity... Maddy's was the best among the listed character..
In my opinion...none but haven't seen Rajeev Khandelwal in Shaitan so not sure

😳
Editt: Actually the guy from tanu weds manu was good, i liked that movie, it was funny
Edited by choco786 - 12 years ago
MoonDesir thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: choco786

In my opinion...none but haven't seen Rajeev Khandelwal in Shaitan so not sure

😳
Editt: Actually the guy from tanu weds manu was good, i liked that movie, it was funny

i am rajeev's fan but  without  being biased wanna tell that there were ppl who didn't like shaitan but luved rajeev's perfomance...😳

among these i think madhavan and rajeev were the best .

now the 2nd half ll b more rocking ajay,Big B, Manoj Bajpai ..ranbir & sahid 😊
Siddhi_ thumbnail

Abhishek was amazing in DMD and Akshay was great in Patiala House :)

what a sad year this has been so far 😳
-Mrs.SKMehwish- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
rajeeev khandelwal is the best reee😊
AishMinoz thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Madhawan and Rajeev khandelwal are gud ...dont knw abt d rest..
EMERSONisanASS thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Maddy , akki and rajeev rocks...😊
Akshay Kumar in Patiala house and jnr AB in dum maaro dum...W T F...man .and what abt AJAY DEVGAN In dil toh baccha hai ji...he was much better than these two postage stamps anyday

before i continue...i dont want any lectures on how much ppl feel akki the smoocher was so great in PH🤔...i have seen and he was just like a crumbling pillar which could fall anytime...the person who acted was Rishi Kapoor only👏...only thing left in this film was akki smooching Anushaka...wonder why it didn;t happen🤢

and ab jr.no comments...tht would be an insult for my keyboard and my fingers😆
Edited by Neetu_GirlPower - 12 years ago