Much ado about Middle Class!!

Posted: 12 years ago
Dear Friends,

'Middle Class' is Ekta's ticket to success, in her every show I guess she has this sneering of typical middle class and small town etc etc...In KS she had Jigyasa mocking Bani and her sisters, the other day I was scanning channels when I saw in PR the heroine was being mocked at a party about her background and of course in BALH, our very own Nuts is going nutty over her so called 'middle class' boy friend.

I do not know much about Ekta's class ( I am not talking about fortune she made through the so called middle class ladiesπŸ˜‰)  but I would like to tell Ekta much as she is grateful to this class the outlook of so called middle class in India has changed sometime back.  Now the urban middle class is very much aware of brands, good education, the power of english language, the utility of credit cards so for a serial set in Mumbai Ekta should ask her dialogue writer to come up with some new dialogues, not those gheesi peeti ones any more...

Nuts is a nut case and I am liking Kartick hence it is better Nutty breaks off with him and goes off to London or still better tinbaktoo as I feel she is a misfit in our society and is eating too much of screen time I liked yesterday Priya and her dad scene, a bit cliche no doubt but yes it is how the so called 'middle class' still accumulates marriage trousseau for their daughter, I only wish the man playing Priya's father looked like a father and not like a brother...your thoughts friends, love Tin
Edited by tintiny - 12 years ago

Beautifully written Di,πŸ‘πŸΌ I cannot agree more, class is not defined by wealth as in Ekta serials, it is defined by  one's morals and principles but this is another topic altogether.

Although the priya/father scene was nice, I still feel it was uneccessary, what is Ekta trying to portray "that middle class people should not aim to get their daughters married in wealthy homes as their gifts are not good enough" or that middle class people should just remain in their circle.

Nuts is a serious waste of space, she needs to be institutionalised with immediate effect.
well saidπŸ‘ yesterday nuts was all about middle class n all. Kartik deserves someone much better.

i get your pt.. & do agree that the dialogues need a revision big tym in   Ekta's soaps;even the middle class has progressed so much so that now there is a new divide, an upper middle class & a lower middle class, but i also know that 80% of the ultra rich do look down at the middle class;if u are witty &/or well presented...u r potentially safe, otherwise, u will be a victim some time or the other.

Though i would let Ekta know that not all middle class ppl act as   mahaan as Ekta's middle class!! They do learn from their mistakes... & they are not mere punch bags...they can give back as good as they get..coming back to your dialogue comment & the need to improvise.
Nutz...no words...just

well said.  i agree.

In my opinion i'm sick of hearing and seeing scenes/shows that  show people talking about how the "middle class" are less of beings. As an American, 75% of our people are considered "middle class," but yet we middle class people go to Ivy league schools and prestigious colleges; we work at decent jobs, have a great salary, and can have a lifestyle filled with the very best. I don't know  what the mindset of  people in India are about "chote mote jobs" or whatever, but what  all these dramas portray  are sending out a wrong message. Over here, many teens/and or college kids work at McDonalds, and other restaurants as servers etc, but NO ONE thinks any less of them or pays any attention to their "Class". Everyone knows that if a youngster or adult even is working at a so called "chotte job" it's because  they need money to pay their bills,  or frekingly high College tuition loans! Who Cares where they work, or how much a person makes or what "class they are." For crying out loud if Warren Buffett, a guy who's net worth is 45 Billion dollars can live a simple " middle class" lifestyle then whyis it that poeple who do not  have even am 1/16 of it talk so much crap? At the end of the day, the things that matter are if  the person is: honest, efficient, a good worker, and a good person, the rest is irrelevant.
Originally posted by curry-sistah

well said.  i agree.

In my opinion i'm sick of hearing and seeing scenes/shows that  show people talking about how the "middle class" are less of beings. As an American, 75% of our people are considered "middle class," but yet we middle class people go to Ivy league schools and prestigious colleges; we work at decent jobs, have a great salary, and can have a lifestyle filled with the very best. I don't know  what the mindset of  people in India are about "chote mote jobs" or whatever, but what  all these dramas portray  are sending out a wrong message. Over here, many teens/and or college kids work at McDonalds, and other restaurants as servers etc, but NO ONE thinks any less of them or pays any attention to their "Class". Everyone knows that if a youngster or adult even is working at a so called "chotte job" it's because  they need money to pay their bills,  or frekingly high College tuition loans! Who Cares where they work, or how much a person makes or what "class they are." For crying out loud if Warren Buffett, a guy who's net worth is 45 Billion dollars can live a simple " middle class" lifestyle then whyis it that poeple who do not  have even am 1/16 of it talk so much crap? At the end of the day, the things that matter are if  the person is: honest, efficient, a good worker, and a good person, the rest is irrelevant.

I think it will still take time for the status thing to be wiped out, we Indians still have caste system that has been going on for years.  The thing that is wrong is that the Bollywood and Hindi soaps are still clinging to this very outdated views of how present society is functioning.  They have forgotten that the global economy has changed or is changing every corner of India.  People that did not have education are getting educated, people who did not have jobs are getting jobs, those people that did menial labour are no longer interested in working for 10 rupees a day anymore because they can go and work for a factory and earn more.  In reality, life is changing, people want to wear nice clothes, eat nice foods, get their daughters married where the boy has good job and education.  And to be consistently shown on the soaps this outdated mode of the only thing that is important is money and not the character of the boy or good family background is idiotic.  As Tin says get real creatives and come up something original that relates to the present metro that is Mumbai.
Jayati  I agree on your views about this middle class.
In fact this class and the lower one are the backbone of the Indidan society; reflecting the core and essence of the traditional Indian values.
 Am not derogating the upper class but feel that its a contrived and  a mirage society wherein most of the people live in a pseudo self assured and satisfied world. The disdain and haughtiness with which they look upon others  beneath them really puts me off.

Theres another strata of the society the upper middle class. This one is really caught between the two worlds always aiming  to be and aping the upper one, but still rooted to their middle class thoughts and actions. This class is really what most of today's Indian society is all about.

In general this class and middle class has now become the bread and butter for most serial makers and some movie makers too. Their living in an upper class society is possible only due to these two classes of the  Indian masses..

*phew* my comment is much lenghtier  than your post..πŸ˜ƒ. But then sociology is my fav topic.
Friends,

Exactly my thoughts as most of you have written...it is the ordinary people who become extra-ordinary, of course the class difference will be there, in fact I liked the scene where Karthick gives Priya a simple chain whereas Ram's family given her with jewels worth lakhs...You show it in a natural way is all I want, Priya is educated, Karthick is polite and well mannered, yes there will be adjusting issues, in accepting things of day to day life and we would like to see it on screen, not through those dialogues which have outlived their time...
Nice post. I agree with u.

Really priya's father looks like her elder brother. LOL.

N i m happy that karthik slapped nuts. she deserves this.
Finally Kartik has done something sensible thing πŸ‘πŸΌ...he should have been done this long time ago...i wonder why he has fallen for this nasty girl?
and i agree  Priya's dad look her elder bro...but hey.. they got married early...but  just wonder who would fall for sheepra the 9th wonder?πŸ˜†πŸ˜•..who would get married with her in a rush..πŸ˜†