Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Silentsoul thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Originally posted by: .Doe.

No, following IF rules or not are trivial things when compared to the broader picture. I understand you mentioned IF here just as an example..but what about other things? Like, people can use internet to promote many things which are unethical & harmful. I mean, no matter what the choice, we do know what unethical basically means. 
& what about things like terrorism? For example, let's take Osama..in his will, he asked his children not to join al-Qaeda. Why did he do that? B'coz he knew he was at fault. Now, getting into terrorism was his choice, and if it really was about choices, he could have very well justified his cause of joining it, and could have encouraged his children to join it too.

What I mean to say is, everything has it's limits. Even a choice. Not everything can be justified by saying - it's my choice. There is a line you've got to draw, right? 

Yes you are right following IF rule or not are very trivial as compare to using internet for unethical but terrorism will fall under category of  crime.  I don't think will fall into choice category because its not only unethical but its criminal activity. Specially in few countries with death penalty after execution for crime like this should be enough alarm who still want to opt for choices like this.  Noone has even right no question of choice for any crime.But still these criminal activities happen right.  Is question is really where to draw line because already lines are there, for question is who draw that line or who chose not to?
MagixX thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: kuls11

Yes you are right following IF rule or not are very trivial as compare to using internet for unethical but terrorism will fall under category of  crime.  I don't think will fall into choice category because its not only unethical but its criminal activity. Specially in few countries with death penalty after execution for crime like this should be enough alarm who still want to opt for choices like this.  Noone has even right no question of choice for any crime.But still these criminal activities happen right.  Is question is really where to draw line because already lines are there, for question is who draw that line or who chose not to?

Whatever one chooses is his/her choice. Whether it's terrorism or a govt. job. But whether terrorism is unethical or not, is not a matter of choice. It is plain bad!
Of course, the lines are already drawn. Crossing those depends on us. We do have that choice, but we cannot justify that choice by simply saying it is a matter of choice. It just doesn't work that way. 😃
Edited by .Doe. - 12 years ago
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

😆 So, then, what is our role on the forum, Angie? To tolerate the whiners? 😛

Variety is the spice of life, WA Tongue
_Angie_ thumbnail

Originally posted by: night13

I did choose the side, did you not get my plead, no morals or ethics should exist in the WWW because they are overpowered by freedom of expression.

Freedom without responsibility wont take us  far.
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: blue-ice

Did I suggest that??...where??...I am  the same person in real life as I am in the Virtual world...did u confuse my statement with someone else's🤔
I don't take any one's BS in real life ...neither do I over here...

Your original quote...'you can be a zero in real life...but if you can yak well you will be a hero here..' 😆

-Aarya- thumbnail

Originally posted by: angie.4u

Freedom without responsibility wont take us  far.

True but unfortunate as rest of the world does not see it that way! 😊
_Angie_ thumbnail

True but unfortunate as rest of the world does not see it that way! 😊

Everyone learns in their own good time. Some prefer to learn things the hard way :)

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

@return_to_hades: 'Ideally' is the correct word. They are censors and  barriers on all sites (code of conduct, terms of use, etc.) so why isn't the net for everyone (with respect to age groups)?

The net is not for everyone is not based on age, but more on temperament. I can think of various situations where the internet can turn to be a bad idea.

- Real life is set in a framework of governance (rules etc) . There is governance on the internet as well like on IF. However, as Sookie pointed out not all of the entire is regulated. Many sites are unregulated and if you venture out of your comfort zone you need to have the ability to stomach some content.

- The internet is not for the extremely gullible or insecure either. Though there are pranks and scams in real life as well. The anonymity on the internet gives criminals and deviants a wider leash and more gusto. If you are not smart or cautious enough there are people who can take advantage of you.

- As many people admit they are different online than in real life. Some maybe ruder or more brash online, others maybe more friendly and flirtatious online. Others even live as completely fake characters online. So people need a sense of judgment based on words to be able to not take the fakes seriously.

Those are just a few examples. There are some really smart kids and some really dumb adults online. Sometimes some people on IF are like virtual train wrecks waiting to happen. Whose signature says snatch the "keyboard" from dangerous people or something? So true!

We are taught what we should live by is principals, morals and ethics. The  concept is really nice, so what happens if none of these ideologies  were   taught to us, would we have made different  choices?

Thats not true of just the internet, its the way of the world. Each society, each micro-culture has their own morals and ethics, and as global citizens we often have to make adjustments to our personal ethics to fairly adjust with others. With the world being smaller and so many different views converging together at an alarming rate online - one of internets biggest challenge is having people adjust.

Freedom of Expression on the Internet as some find it democracy vs others  find it communism! There are so many example of intellectual property,  po*nography, hate, threats, etc... for which so many people, sites, governments, and  countries choose to filter out the most material/information. Why is this material offensive? These are the facts of life which we all deal with on everyday basis.  If you believe that there is an inherent value in truth, that human beings on average and over time recognize and value truth, and that truth is best decided in a free marketplace of ideas, then the ability of the Internet to promote freedom of expression  is very important and should not be restricted by from principals, morals or ethics as everyone has different sets of values and perceptions.

Freedom of speech vs the internet is an argument that will take a long long time to be settled.

When it comes to po*nography, violence and other such issues, never has it been so accessible to minors. There were physical checks like IDs, restricted areas etc, real people watching. Not that minors never had access, but it was more difficult, they had to jump through hoops. Now all they need is a computer and click the button that says over 21. That is why I feel the challenge of today has moved from how to 'censor' things to how to prepare future generations for unexpected.

Then there is the matter of laws. Some issues are illegal in one country and legal in another. Since there technically is no government borders etc online how do we settle these different legal matters. Secondly how do we determine what internet activities violate local law. The Pirate Bay case has been a massive example of how a few Swedish youth have used the legality question of the internet to stick it to multinational conglomerates.

There are so many ethical arguments around groups like Anonymous, 4Chan etc.

I am going to plead the 1st vs 5th, does not guarantee an escape from what I am here to do.. to freely express my self.

What makes you assume you can plead those here? 😆

Its the internet hon, and we just established that those constitutional rights may or may not exist here.
-Aarya- thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

The net is not for everyone is not based on age, but more on temperament. I can think of various situations where the internet can turn to be a bad idea.

- Real life is set in a framework of governance (rules etc) . There is governance on the internet as well like on IF. However, as Sookie pointed out not all of the entire is regulated. Many sites are unregulated and if you venture out of your comfort zone you need to have the ability to stomach some content.

- The internet is not for the extremely gullible or insecure either. Though there are pranks and scams in real life as well. The anonymity on the internet gives criminals and deviants a wider leash and more gusto. If you are not smart or cautious enough there are people who can take advantage of you.

- As many people admit they are different online than in real life. Some maybe ruder or more brash online, others maybe more friendly and flirtatious online. Others even live as completely fake characters online. So people need a sense of judgment based on words to be able to not take the fakes seriously.

Those are just a few examples. There are some really smart kids and some really dumb adults online. Sometimes some people on IF are like virtual train wrecks waiting to happen. Whose signature says snatch the "keyboard" from dangerous people or something? So true!

The Internet is for everyone 'who can handle it'.  The internet represents access, choice, openness, innovation and above all unlimited access to knowledge. The basic architecture of the Internet was build leaving the ultimate control in the hands of the users! This is the ultimate goal to say that Internet is for everyone, how easy to say and how hard to achieve!

Thats not true of just the internet, its the way of the world. Each society, each micro-culture has their own morals and ethics, and as global citizens we often have to make adjustments to our personal ethics to fairly adjust with others. With the world being smaller and so many different views converging together at an alarming rate online - one of internets biggest challenge is having people adjust.

Freedom of speech vs the internet is an argument that will take a long long time to be settled.

When it comes to po*nography, violence and other such issues, never has it been so accessible to minors. There were physical checks like IDs, restricted areas etc, real people watching. Not that minors never had access, but it was more difficult, they had to jump through hoops. Now all they need is a computer and click the button that says over 21. That is why I feel the challenge of today has moved from how to 'censor' things to how to prepare future generations for unexpected.

Then there is the matter of laws. Some issues are illegal in one country and legal in another. Since there technically is no government borders etc online how do we settle these different legal matters. Secondly how do we determine what internet activities violate local law. The Pirate Bay case has been a massive example of how a few Swedish youth have used the legality question of the internet to stick it to multinational conglomerates.

There are so many ethical arguments around groups like Anonymous, 4Chan etc.

I agree, that the Internet is one place where requires the most adjustments of the minds! It's forecast that by 2050 the world's population will reach about 11 billion, and if only 20% is on the Internet, for which the government will control majority of stake on all Internet traffic worldwide. There are The Internet Societies which are striving to make Internet for Everyone, battling against governments, private sectors, etc to make Internet affordable and accessible. Access to the open Internet makes free speech a reality for everyone. Internet now offers delivering the press, and in theory, its freedoms to any person. Yet powerful political and economic interests are exploring new ways to filter or block user information on the free-flowing Web. And at the same time, some will offer proxy to get to all the information, so the battle will never end. The Internet is as real as it gets, with that in mind you must leave your social values on the side cause there is no room of ethics as we in the world of unknown!

What makes you assume you can plead those here? 😆

Its the internet hon, and we just established that those constitutional rights may or may not exist here.

ps.. I was born to plead the 5th...😆
Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
The life in virtual world and the real world cannot remain separate for long. How long can anyone fake rudeness or politeness on the net?