Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MagixX thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: kuls11

Morals and ethics actually depend upon personal  choice if they are to be followed or ignored in real or virtual world in one or both. Its individual choice,if they chose to follow it or not.
I don't think freedom of expression is valued anywhere in real world. Its one rule which is written in law but followed rarely. Freedom of expression of sometime curbed sometime misused  in virtual world through cyber bullying.

@Bold: I agree. But up to which extent? There are somethings which are unacceptable no matter how you look at it. Don't you think crossing those limits cannot be justified by saying, "It's a matter of choice" ?? 
Edited by .Doe. - 12 years ago
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
@summer: How does 'time' affect your judgment on Internet vs real life choices?

@Kul: Cyber bullying: There has been law passed in many countries over period  of time where "any communication, with the intent to coerce, intimidate,  harass, or cause substantial emotional distress to a person, using  electronic means to support severe, repeated, and hostile behavior.." any one found guilty of this crime could face a fine or a prison terms. Though  the parents need to mentor their children and compassion isn't something you can legislate. Only by changing behaviors we can hope to really curb cyber  bullying!

@osama-bin-joe: How do you know the person is some random idiot? Are his/her  feelings really hurt? How much do you know the person on the other end?

@return_to_hades: 'Ideally' is the correct word. They are censors and  barriers on all sites (code of conduct, terms of use, etc.) so why isn't the net for everyone (with respect to age groups)?

@Woh Ajnabee: A clean conscience, a true confession of the soul is personal  struggle and cannot be fought with others! Who really decides whose morals  are right vs wrong in the world of unknown (WWW)?

ps. I did respond to your scrap! We will meet when the Day meets the Night!:) πŸ˜›

@angie: Did I miss your pov  or your just waiting for me! πŸ˜‰

@blue: Are you suggesting that the Internet is the only place which allow you to be yourself vs real life?

ps...Thanks to 'Sookie' for the topic suggestion! 😊

@Believe: Is offend all we seek to do with the Internet then who is really  offended here, you or me? πŸ˜‰

@Doe: How do you know who is really brilliant vs. idiot, they may be the total opposite in the real life! Isn't Google as brilliant as I or you! πŸ˜‰

@pixie: Short and sweet escape is not allowed! πŸ€”

@Sookie: This was for you and here we go!

We are taught what we should live by is principals, morals and ethics. The  concept is really nice, so what happens if none of these ideologies  were   taught to us, would we have made different  choices?

Freedom of Expression on the Internet as some find it democracy vs others  find it communism! There are so many example of intellectual property,  po*nography, hate, threats, etc... for which so many people, sites, governments, and  countries choose to filter out the most material/information. Why is this material offensive? These are the facts of life which we all deal with on everyday basis.  If you believe that there is an inherent value in truth, that human beings on average and over time recognize and value truth, and that truth is best decided in a free marketplace of ideas, then the ability of the Internet to promote freedom of expression  is very important and should not be restricted by from principals, morals or ethics as everyone has different sets of values and perceptions.

I am going to plead the 1st vs 5th, does not guarantee an escape from what I am here to do.. to freely express my self.

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: night13

@angie: Did I miss your pov  or your just waiting for me! πŸ˜‰

I am going to plead the 1st vs 5th, does not guarantee an escape from what I am here to do.. to freely express my self.

pls do and choose your side of the fence so that I can choose the opposite.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Originally posted by: osama-bin-joe

that's also a pretty bad idea. By doing that, you are treating your virtual life on par with your real life, which causes you to take it too seriously. There's no need to turn into mr. hyde, but there's no need to stay Dr. Jekyll either on the net. For example, I make the rudest comments on youutube or IF, which I wouldn't dream of saying in real life, apart from a few friends that is. Virtual life is a relaxed version of reality, where you can sweep a few dust pieces under the mat. A few.

Don't make me pull out those "few" pieces that you have swept under the mat because I promise you it will come back to haunt you, li'l boy. πŸ˜›

And I disagree with you here, why won't your VL personality be the same as your RL personality? This forum just allows you a chance to discuss your ideas with a bunch of nameless people online, but it's not meant for you to develop some form of an online personality that you wish you had but really don't. Why would you make rude comments on Youtube? Well, I guess it is you, we're talking about!

Think about it this way: suppose instead of IF, you were having this discussion (or any debate) on Facebook with people you know in real life and people you will have to see again. Will your style of debating change? Will you say things differently then you would here on the forum since you know that you'll have to see these people tomorrow at school, at work, etc.? The answer to this question, for me, would be 'yes' - does it get me into a lot of trouble? Yeah, that too, but it's also who I am. And that doesn't change depending on who I am talking to.

But yes, I will agree that it is easier to say something more direct (be it rude or just blunt) to someone you don't know, someone who's feelings you don't care about, and someone you won't have to deal with once you log out than it is for someone you do know and will have to face.
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: angie.4u

pls do and choose your side of the fence so that I can choose the opposite.

I did choose the side, did you not get my plead, no morals or ethics should exist in the WWW because they are overpowered by freedom of expression.

Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Originally posted by: blue-ice

The internet is the best place to vent out your frustrations if you have good writing skills...you can be a zero in real life...but if you can yak well you will be a hero here...πŸ˜†..
I love it when people claim that they don't care and then keep harping over the same thing again and againπŸ˜†...

nice topic Aarya...πŸ˜›

Are you kidding me!?! You cannot be serious! So from now, every time I am going to mention someone who "edits their posts", you are going to flatter yourself into thinking that I am talking about you and only you? Believe it or not, you're not the first person to pull something like that on the forum, and I cannot help it that your guilty conscience allows you to believe that I am talking about you. So how about you get over yourself and move on?

My response was to the topic - if I wanted to talk about you, I would say it to your face. You are not important enough for me to sit here and plan indirect attacks for. But of course, I do realize that you do have this inherent tendency that allows you to believe that everything I say is somehow aimed at you. That is your problem, not mine, because really, I don't care what you think or what you have to say.

But let's get one thing straight - I don't play this indirect attacks game. If you have something to say to me, you say it to me. Otherwise, don't bother. As far as the writing style is concerned, just because you edited your posts out, BI, does not mean that you were not one of those who praised my writing style and my posts in the past. And now that same writing style is bothering you? Tsk, tsk.

And lastly, you ARE a hypocrite. You go around whining to mods and reporting people for indirectly talking about you without actually reading their conversations, and then you go around and do the same by throwing indirect comments at others. Your comments don't bother me, but please spare the rest of us this whole holier than thou attitude. And this time, I did call you a hypocrite - so report that.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Originally posted by: angie.4u

You did the zor se bolna for me WA πŸ˜† 
But just think, what would the www be withouit some whiners on board ...everything , everyperson has a purpose for being, the whiners included!  πŸ˜ˆ πŸ˜† 

πŸ˜† So, then, what is our role on the forum, Angie? To tolerate the whiners? πŸ˜›
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

Don't make me pull out those "few" pieces that you have swept under the mat because I promise you it will come back to haunt you, li'l boy. πŸ˜›  what few pieces? I sent my mat for drycleaning last week, btw πŸ˜‰

And I disagree with you here, why won't your VL personality be the same as your RL personality? This forum just allows you a chance to discuss your ideas with a bunch of nameless people online, but it's not meant for you to develop some form of an online personality that you wish you had but really don't. Why would you make rude comments on Youtube? Well, I guess it is you, we're talking about!  our rl personalities will obviously not be polar opposites of our vl personas, but it will be a lot more restrained than them.

Think about it this way: suppose instead of IF, you were having this discussion (or any debate) on Facebook with people you know in real life and people you will have to see again. Will your style of debating change?no, because although the communication is "virtual", the people we talk to are "real". I am as polite on fb as I am with them in direct contact. Will you say things differently then you would here on the forum since you know that you'll have to see these people tomorrow at school, at work, etc.? The answer to this question, for me, would be 'yes' - does it get me into a lot of trouble? Yeah, that too, but it's also who I am. And that doesn't change depending on who I am talking to.

But yes, I will agree that it is easier to say something more direct (be it rude or just blunt) to someone you don't know, someone who's feelings you don't care about, and someone you won't have to deal with once you log out than it is for someone you do know and will have to face.
well, yeah, so basically we never had a real disagreement , because I was focusing on virtual communication with virtual people, rather than virtual communication with your real life close contact friends. also, it depends on the standards of a person.

*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail

I did choose the side, did you not get my plead, no morals or ethics should exist in the WWW because they are overpowered by freedom of expression.

But Aarya, going by this logic, without any morals or ethics guiding the virtual world, the actions of virtual predators will be deemed acceptable. Is that really what you are arguing for? Just because it happens in the virtual world, does not mean that it does not have influence over real life - obviously the emotions and feelings will transfer over into the real world as well.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail

@Woh Ajnabee: A clean conscience, a true confession of the soul is personal  struggle and cannot be fought with others! Who really decides whose morals  are right vs wrong in the world of unknown (WWW)?

ps. I did respond to your scrap! We will meet when the Day meets the Night!:) πŸ˜›

No, it doesn't need to be fought with others. If we assume that all of us have some sense of a moral standard (high for some and low for others), and we all sticky by that sense of morality, we can ensure that there will be at least level of morality and ethics that will guide us on our online journey. Nobody is deciding for you, but even if half the people that come online behave the same way they would out in the real world, there actions will be guided by at least some principles that will lead others in the right direction.

Oh regarding the scrap: har raat ki subah hoti hai. ;-)