Wild Wild Web (Ref:Pg 3)?

-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Welcome to the world wide web where practical philosophy deals with how we make decisions regarding social conduct on the Internet...

-- Should morals and ethics exist on Internet?
-- How is freedom of expression valued on the Internet?
Edited by night13 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Internet is a powerful tool with far reaching consequences. Rules and responsibility in real life n the Internet should not be that much different.
Internet generally gives us more time to think n respond.

Silentsoul thumbnail
Morals and ethics actually depend upon personal  choice if they are to be followed or ignored in real or virtual world in one or both. Its individual choice,if they chose to follow it or not.
I don't think freedom of expression is valued anywhere in real world. Its one rule which is written in law but followed rarely. Freedom of expression of sometime curbed sometime misused  in virtual world through cyber bullying.
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
yes, because people use the internet, so some ethics should definitely be present. Although you can be rude in public forums, who cares if some random idiot on the net has their feelings hurt?
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Ideally morals and ethics exist everywhere.

However, the internet is anonymous, nameless, faceless and free that honestly no sort of censors or barriers exist.

The net is definitely not for everyone.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Just because you appear nameless and faceless online does not mean that morals and ethics should go out the window. The true test of character comes when you do the right thing even when no one is looking - in a way "virtuality" is a test of your character. If you want to know how far you can go or how low you can go, let yourself go online and you'll see it. Despite our unknown identities, there are real people behind these IDs with real feelings - yeah, I don't personally care what most of them think anyway, however, I do conduct myself with certain moral standards even here on the forum.

My motto stands as if you wouldn't do it in real life, don't do it in virtual life. Following that helps me because I do realize that it is pretty easy to lose yourself online and to allow yourself to believe that what happens here doesn't matter. At the end of the day, it does matter. You may think that logging off/editing/self-banning yourself will make your actions go away, but this is still real life. What you do and how you behave all stays with you. Yeah, no one else may come and ask you why you said what you said, but do whatever it takes to keep your conscience clean.
_Angie_ thumbnail
Originally posted by: night13

Welcome to the world wide web where practical philosophy deals with how we make decisions regarding social conduct on the Internet...

-- Should morals and ethics exist on Internet?
-- How is freedom of expression valued on the Internet?

- Morals and ethics exist where they can be practiced. Its a collective responsibility.
- Freedom of expression can be a double edged sword. If you can practice it so can the others.
My practical philosophy says- Get into the www at your own risk. As in the real world you will definitely get back what you dish out, all rules be damned! The whining sorts need to give it a miss.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Originally posted by: angie.4u

- Morals and ethics exist where they can be practiced. Its a collective responsibility.
- Freedom of expression can be a double edged sword. If you can practice it so can the others.
My practical philosophy says- Get into the www at your own risk. As in the real world you will definitely get back what you dish out, all rules be damned! The whining sorts need to give it a miss.

Thoda zor se bolna please, Angie - maybe the whiners will actually hear you! I have been saying the same thing for the longest of times, but nobody ever seems to hear it. πŸ˜†

And totally with you on freedom of expression - if you have it, so do others. Don't be startled when they give you a taste of your own medicine!
_Angie_ thumbnail
Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

Thoda zor se bolna please, Angie - maybe the whiners will actually hear you! I have been saying the same thing for the longest of times, but nobody ever seems to hear it. πŸ˜†

And totally with you on freedom of expression - if you have it, so do others. Don't be startled when they give you a taste of your own medicine!

You did the zor se bolna for me WA πŸ˜† 
But just think, what would the www be withouit some whiners on board ...everything , everyperson has a purpose for being, the whiners included!  πŸ˜ˆ πŸ˜† 
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
The internet is the best place to vent out your frustrations if you have good writing skills...you can be a zero in real life...but if you can yak well you will be a hero here...πŸ˜†..
I love it when people claim that they don't care and then keep harping over the same thing again and againπŸ˜†...

nice topic Aarya...πŸ˜›