Message to the CVs - 25th May 2011 - Page 2

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by Gunjhun

Zee is being stupid. If the show isn't doing well because of its time slot change it back! It was fine at the time it was before and since Geeta got axed they decided to shift everything over. If they think that shows airing between 6-7 arent getting good ratings change some stuff around. They didn't even give them a chance to properly get the show going. Zee thinks it has low ratings now? Once the drama is finished it will drop. People will go to other channels like Starplus and Sony. Personally, in Canada I pay 15 dollars a month FOR ONE CHANNEL just so I can watch Zee. I guess I can let my tv provider know I'll be cutting that. I don't know about the ratings in India but in the Americas everyone is raving about BBAT. And not just the indian community. Alot of middle easterns, Iraqi's, Afhgan's, Syrians and even AMERICANS love BBAT and I have people asking me "Oh did you see the episode" and so on and so forth. It is unfair for Zee to do this for the overseas viewers. If it weren't for this forum i wouldn't have found out about this because they don't flippin' air any news overseas. Oh Zee you gave us some good times but once this show is finished its Adieu to you. Starplus and Sony, here I come!

Gunjhun,
  If you hadn't written what you have about BBAT being so popular, I would never know. Thanks for that info. I am really surprised and feel proud to be associated with this show.
Originally posted by Prabhkallu

Bee: I'm speechess... the way you described and others in words has really made me so emotional... I'm actually so proud to be active member on this forum and am happy that i have made a right choice by watching only Bhagonwali..

Honestly, i have never never ever got attached to any of the shows..This is first show tat i been watching for so long since december... and have been following up on the updates, posts,etc on this forum.

Gardes: Wow! Again you did it! Beautiful write-up..

Sigh... well.. BBAT is close to my heart always...

Prabhkallu,
  Thank you so much.

I remember we were just a handful of folks watching and writing about this show from mid-Dec'10 when I started with this show. It is a totally different feeling when we watch one episode at-a-day for so many months. We grew with Runjhun and Guddu ..we lived our lives along with them .. and were part of all their sadness and happiness ... That feeling and living with these characters everyday for so many months is so different from someone who just came in much later and watched the episodes all-at-once (sorry, I do not mean to offend who fall in that category, but just wish you were there along with us and lived that life).

The story was simple and could have ended after it finished with them confessing their love to live-happily-ever-after. This show which had such quality work need not had to go this way. I leaves a hole in the pit of my stomach.

Originally posted by SohaniD

I totally agree with ur each and every points. These days somehow I lost the charm of this show.. I used to wait for hours to read the update and watch each episode at least 4-5 times. But after that sizzling friday all the episodes looks so dull to me and also it's quite evident as if some effort has been done to make the lead characters completely out of their image. But I surely say one thing. Zee plz don't ruin good shows like this one. U will loose hell lots of international viewers at least and respect of all those people who believe that Good shows should continue instead of not being TRP-puller.

Sohani,
  Thanks for being there, I don't feel alone. 

My feelings were the same of the recent episodes... it was so different that I did not wanted to watch 1 more time on TV after I watching them online. The charm was lost.
@shanta, @LoveGuddu : Thanks for your support.
Originally posted by gardes

Bee, I am lost for words after reading your editorial to the CVs.  So well written, I felt your emotions.

While we are all focused on the channel, you applauded the CVs for their past work and gave them the recognition they truly deserve.  I see your point and I fully agree with you. These CVs gave us something that was never done before and their talents are wasted at the channel that is SO ORDINARY.  They are a young bunch from what I have seen, with stupendous amount of talent between them.  What kalakari (artistry)!!!

The actors, all of them and not just the leads, are really heads above others and gave their sweat and blood, and it showed day in and day out.

Every last person who worked on the show needs to applauded for the final presentation that sizzled each day on our screen.

Shame on a channel that could not see quality work that stared them in their faces.  Shame on Zee for not recognizing the uniqueness of the show and taking steps to maintain it.  They do not deserve this team of creative folks.

For me the confusion started when Guddu moved into his old bedroom without explanation.  I was hoping and waiting for an explanation of that and it never came.  The moment I saw the bhang episode, it clicked.  Zee had stepped in with its formula right after the confrontation episode and turned everything upside down.  Zee could not even allow the talented creative team to give a logical ending.  We knew each show has a short life span but Zee denied even a short period of time to the Bhagonwali team to maintain the quality of the show to the end.

This is a second time for me - CB 1 being the first.  As far as I am concerned, Zee can bring big gun actors to their shows and I refuse to partake of anything Zee has to offer after Bhagonwali.

I told myself I was done with Indian entertainment and its politics after the first year of CB 1, but I got sucked into this show after I started seeing the artistry (that you recognized very early on) for myself further down the line.

Once bitten, twice shy...  If Bhagonwali is not resurrected to its original format (which I agree with you will be a hard sell), I AM DONE, DONE, DONE!

Thank you, Gardes.

With just 1 show, our very 1st show, we understood this business of Indian TV industry so well to recognize what is quality and what is crap, isn't it, Gardes? We understood when exactly something was going the crap route. Did we have to learn it, is the biggest irony!

Even in those early episodes the skills of these talented bunch was there, which is why I never gave up on this show. But the episodes after the G-R marriage were the brilliant-est. What masterful episodes day-after-day everyday for 50 odd days. What quality! What dignity!! 

Compare that to what is being shown now. Even in the crapp-est storyline that is being shown right now, I can still "see" the master-skills of these folks. Why were they subjected to show this crap? I am aghast! 
Ahhh... Bee, when you say everything with such heart and intelligence, I am left speechless. I was in tears when I read your post. Indeed characters can be like people when we come to care for them.

When we come to a daily soap, it is amazing the amount of things that we are willing to ignore. We know that we have to look the other way as the show tries to depict a realism and therefore we have to forget that we are looking at a staged set, camera angles,  some clumsy editing, etc

That said, we are not able to ignore truth in our characters. Yes, we can forgive the fact that Guddu has two shirts hanging in the closet he shares with RJ, despite the fact that he is there for a month, but we cannot forgive a character portrayal that fails us.

When Guddu was being mean to RJ, this story did not interest me. I started to gain interest when I saw Guddu's vulnerability and how he could fall for RJ. How this tough rough character needed someone like her to complete him.  I think about the hospital scene with Guddu's parents, in which Guddu mostly appears irritated with RJ. He had begun to see her stubborness and have respect for that, but there did not seem to be any real warmth.  Fantastic portrayal of how awkward they are around each other. When he came back from the hospital I really think that he could have left.

The warmth from Guddu of course came when she defended him. And you could see how this tough guy (with a soft side who loves his mother is estranged from his father) really needs this. He needs someone to give an unconditional love and acceptance.. I am not saying RJ gave him that, but he saw in her the opportunity for such things in her. A little bit of Guddu wants society to look at him as a decent guy and accept him. The look in Guddu's eyes when RJ says that she is there for him as his wife always was a brilliant moment. His eyes looked up at her with a child-like beauty. Heart stopping to watch

With warmth came his attraction to her physically. That makes complete sense. More than RJ, Guddu is very emotional and impulsive. He is also more expressive and in touch with his emotions

Later with IM center we see again from Guddu's perspective how he relishes someone supporting him. Because of her seeming belief in him, he changes. He wears a suit, becomes polite at the interview. Again for someone like Guddu, it all makes sense. He is a giver. When someone does something for him, he wants to give back. And he does give back to RJ by changing. he changes slowly but still stands his ground (temple).

The rest was believable too. Jabbo reminding him of the challenge and Abhi was masterfully thrown in to make him jealous.

The scene on May 13 was the best I have ever seen. Only because he is drunk Guddu is  able to bare his soul to RJ like that. He bares his pride and refusal to be something other than he is AND he bares his desperate need to be what RJ most wants in her heart. There are no words for me when I saw this brilliant performance. The agony of Guddu was sheer poetry that day.

I was okay with the accident. He was quite drunk and really it was not anything bad in the character development

I was also fine with how RJ and him treated each other after the accident initially. He said too much. He revealed himself to her and she to him.  But now she has to take care of him. He is upset that she saw him desperate and does not want any favors from her.

By the way the look in Guddu's eyes when Kukkan is talking to him was so beautiful. Again a long look in such expressive eyes that no talking was needed there. Again, he wants to believe that she cares for him so desperately that it broke my heart

I was even fine with this couple remaining angry with each other and not talking about it. Yes, RJ ran to clear up the puja business, but this was different. While he questioned her character, she also had lots of questions about his.  They are young and for either of them to broach the subject was also to remind the other person as to what was revealed that day. What was revealed was that this relationship was something other than a formality. And Guddu was not going to talk about Neelu, why should she talk about anything?

Okay, I was fine here.

If Guddu was the same Guddu, that man would have limped the hell out of that house the minute he could. The challenge has no meaning. How sickening to think that this woman was turning you into a another guy. YUCK

This is for me when  the cloth that was Guddu's character started to unwind. The Guddu I knew would NO way do anything remotely Abhi like anymore.  He would have gone back to his room above the carom club and MAYBE come back if he remembered that he signed a paper with his name. But there was no way he would be anything but the bad boy Guddu Shukkla

NOW COMES STRANGE DECISION WITH CHARACTER: Why? Why ZEE TV WHY?????

For me last Wednesday was indeed hard to stomach. Why would he consider apologizing to the Mammis and Mammas when they almost killed his mother? Why would he do anything RJ suggested that was "decent and right?" Why would he listen to her at all? He is not stupid. All these things are what Abhi was like right? Why would he consider changing himself even an iota?

I agree that is when Guddu started to be a caricature of himself. When slammed his hand on the counter, to me that was watching not Guddu, but a comical one so easily manipulated. That was not Guddu anymore.  I was watching a silly puppet. That was the moment right there when I was like Oh God, what have they done?

So Bee that is my analysis of the unwinding of this beautiful character.

That said Bee, I do want the show to continue. Because this character was so beautifully offered to us, I am willing to overlook the silliness of last week.. Maybe the show can get back on track if the viewers are there.

For some reason ZEE felt that the new viewers need to see a more comical Guddu, changed, giddy in love. Oddly he remembers the challenge but cannot remember that his wife may be trying to change him into another man (gross). I have no reason as to why Zee thinks this new Guddu,, who forgets the fact that his wife wants him to be some other guy is letting himself be changed into that guy? WHY?

Edited by jpalagrawal - 12 years ago
Originally posted by jpalagrawal

Ahhh... Bee, when you say everything with such heart and intelligence, I am left speechless. I was in tears when I read your post. Indeed characters can be like people when we come to care for them.

When we come to a daily soap, it is amazing the amount of things that we are willing to ignore. We know that we have to look the other way as the show tries to depict a realism and therefore we have to forget that we are looking at a staged set, camera angles,  some clumsy editing, etc

That said, we are not able to ignore truth in our characters. Yes, we can forgive the fact that Guddu has two shirts hanging in the closet he shares with RJ, despite the fact that he is there for a month, but we cannot forgive a character portrayal that fails us.

When Guddu was being mean to RJ, this story did not interest me. I started to gain interest when I saw Guddu's vulnerability and how he could fall for RJ. How this tough rough character needed someone like her to complete him.  I think about the hospital scene with Guddu's parents, in which Guddu mostly appears irritated with RJ. He had begun to see her stubborness and have respect for that, but there did not seem to be any real warmth.  Fantastic portrayal of how awkward they are around each other. When he came back from the hospital I really think that he could have left.

The warmth from Guddu of course came when she defended him. And you could see how this tough guy (with a soft side who loves his mother is estranged from his father) really needs this. He needs someone to give an unconditional love and acceptance.. I am not saying RJ gave him that, but he saw in her the opportunity for such things in her. A little bit of Guddu wants society to look at him as a decent guy and accept him. The look in Guddu's eyes when RJ says that she is there for him as his wife always was a brilliant moment. His eyes looked up at her with a child-like beauty. Heart stopping to watch

With warmth came his attraction to her physically. That makes complete sense. More than RJ, Guddu is very emotional and impulsive. He is also more expressive and in touch with his emotions

Later with IM center we see again from Guddu's perspective how he relishes someone supporting him. Because of her seeming belief in him, he changes. He wears a suit, becomes polite at the interview. Again for someone like Guddu, it all makes sense. He is a giver. When someone does something for him, he wants to give back. And he does give back to RJ by changing. he changes slowly but still stands his ground (temple).

The rest was believable too. Jabbo reminding him of the challenge and Abhi was masterfully thrown in to make him jealous.

The scene on May 13 was the best I have ever seen. Only because he is drunk Guddu is  able to bare his soul to RJ like that. He bares his pride and refusal to be something other than he is AND he bares his desperate need to be what RJ most wants in her heart. There are no words for me when I saw this brilliant performance. The agony of Guddu was sheer poetry that day.

I was okay with the accident. He was quite drunk and really it was not anything bad in the character development

I was also fine with how RJ and him treated each other after the accident initially. He said too much. He revealed himself to her and she to him.  But now she has to take care of him. He is upset that she saw him desperate and does not want any favors from her.

By the way the look in Guddu's eyes when Kukkan is talking to him was so beautiful. Again a long look in such expressive eyes that no talking was needed there. Again, he wants to believe that she cares for him so desperately that it broke my heart

I was even fine with this couple remaining angry with each other and not talking about it. Yes, RJ ran to clear up the puja business, but this was different. While he questioned her character, she also had lots of questions about his.  They are young and for either of them to broach the subject was also to remind the other person as to what was revealed that day. What was revealed was that this relationship was something other than a formality. And Guddu was not going to talk about Neelu, why should she talk about anything?

Okay, I was fine here.

If Guddu was the same Guddu, that man would have limped the hell out of that house the minute he could. The challenge has no meaning. How sickening to think that this woman was turning you into a another guy. YUCK

This is for me when  the cloth that was Guddu's character started to unwind. The Guddu I knew would NO way do anything remotely Abhi like anymore.  He would have gone back to his room above the carom club and MAYBE come back if he remembered that he signed a paper with his name. But there was no way he would be anything but the bad boy Guddu Shukkla

NOW COMES STRANGE DECISION WITH CHARACTER: Why? Why ZEE TV WHY?????

For me last Wednesday was indeed hard to stomach. Why would he consider apologizing to the Mammis and Mammas when they almost killed his mother? Why would he do anything RJ suggested that was "decent and right?" Why would he listen to her at all? He is not stupid. All these things are what Abhi was like right? Why would he consider changing himself even an iota?

I agree that is when Guddu started to be a caricature of himself. When slammed his hand on the counter, to me that was watching not Guddu, but a comical one so easily manipulated. That was not Guddu anymore.  I was watching a silly puppet. That was the moment right there when I was like Oh God, what have they done?

So Bee that is my analysis of the unwinding of this beautiful character.

That said Bee, I do want the show to continue. Because this character was so beautifully offered to us, I am willing to overlook the silliness of last week.. Maybe the show can get back on track if the viewers are there.

For some reason ZEE felt that the new viewers need to see a more comical Guddu, changed, giddy in love. Oddly he remembers the challenge but cannot remember that his wife may be trying to change him into another man (gross). I have no reason as to why Zee thinks this new Guddu,, who forgets the fact that his wife wants him to be some other guy is letting himself be changed into that guy? WHY?

JP,
  I accept what you want. I want the show too, but not at the cost of compromise of the story track or the characters in the name of bringing in TRPs. That is like totally killing the essence of the story and its characters. Then the characters turn out into caricatures and the actors are forced to fulfill their parts. I feel bad if they have do that. I don't want anyone to go through such nonsense, more so for the BBAT folks because these are really a talented bunch, be it the creative team or the actors. 

I only wish BBAT tells its story and goes out with dignity. For that, Zee needs to give the CVs a free hand and lets them tell what they were intending to tell in the story rather than pressuring them with the TRP-gun every now-and-then and asking them to change the content. If the content is good, show is well-placed for viewer-ship and is marketed well, TRPs will automatically come. 
For BBAT since the content is good, all Zee has to do is the latter part instead of tempering with CVs job.