Lux Dance ke Superstars

Jai's And Sid's Latest FB Uptodates - Page 5

hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: chocolover89

Please tell me you're joking.  😳 Anyways, like you said, usually typing lyk dis is usually just a phase and they will outgrow it. I've seen some of my old posts on this forum from 5-6 years back...and I can't believe I used to write like that. So if I can outgrow it, they should be able to as well.

I wish I was kidding Choco but unfortunately I'm not. After speaking to so many people that got their CBSE results last Monday I can't help but think that it has lost its credibility. CBSE 'international' board? Err, yeah right.

Haha yeah I wasn't that bad with SMS language but I wasn't much better either. Most people will eventually see sense or well, they'll just grow up.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I would say Indian English curriculum In India spends gives more emphasis on the language structure and sentence structure. The basic problem is the teachers, like all Indian teachers, make you cram these words that people don't really use on a daily basis, plus they make you memorize like 10 pages of say, Wren and Martin. I remember having to do that in 6th grade😆 So yeah, due to the education system, the  usage is not correctly upheld.

On the other hand, despite the changing times, English is still a language of the elites, per se. I mean, if you go to a lower middle class or lower class family and converse in English, they might screw up on proper structure etc...I don't mean to put it as a problem in India, because India is certainly better off than some first world countries like Spain, France etc, where you'd be fortunate to find a English speaker. Just stating the facts.

I guess people have already mentioned the usage of this shorthand lingo. It is apparently convenient. I don't get the convenience, but guess I am not alone...anyways, many people also think it is a style statement and it is 'cool' to use this lingo, so they use it just for the heck of it, even if they find it a problem. 
nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: hindu4lyf

@nikita: Actually I think schooling does play a significant role. I was watching Sunidhi Chauhan's interview and she said that studying in a school in Delhi where speaking Hindi was the norm meant that it really affected the way she would communicate with others and she was actually scared to answer any question that was asked to her in English. I guess it varies from person to person but even in text/SMS language you can usually tell how good of an understanding someone has over the language because often key words are missing.

When I wrote about schooling, I only meant to say that this SMS language is used by everyone, not just people who don't know English cos they haven't been to good schools, cos one of the posts in the previous pages was implying something like that. I said that even people who have gone to reputed schools use SMS language. The difference here is only that their SMS language, though consisting of shortcut words, is largely grammatically correct😆. Else there are people who not only use short forms of the words, but also the grammar is totally battered.

In fact, I agree with you when you say schooling influences English in general. My Dad had a transferrable job and I had to change schools. In one school, English speaking on campus was compulsory and so most of the chidlren had good English speaking skills. In another school, even though the quality of education was very good, English speaking was not a rule on campus, as a result the students there had very bookish knowledge of the language with no confidence in expressing themselves openly whatsoever. A good foundation in the language is very important with encouragement on spoken English, reading books outside of the curriculum and interactive activities.
Edited by nikitagmc - 12 years ago
LeadNitrate thumbnail

P.S. I happened to catch 5 minutes of Ekta Kapoor's vampire show on Star One. Pathetic would be a huge understatement and if the show wasn't bad enough, she makes her main actors speak in English when they are clearly uncomfortable doing so and I end up cringing like anything.

Super LIke, i have followed the show coz the guy was cute but i had to give up after some time, it was unbearable. Yes, most of us from India have this funny Indian accent, even I do, that was allright. but why on earth make them speak and act in English when they clearly r uncomfortable? and its not just one show of Ekta kapoor, its most of the shows in Indian Tv, i have even seen people  speaking grammatically wrong english in bengali soaps too. As i said before, its all to make it look "really cool". There was a huge debate in Bigboss forum as to why the actors always speak in English and that too wrong English all the time, when people like sameer Soni ,who really can speak good english, choose to speak in Hindi most of the time. There were too  many pointers too and fro. All i can say is when someone is trying earnestly to improve, its commendable,but when people speak in wrong English just to show off, its irksome.
-desigirl- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: debayon

I would say Indian English curriculum In India spends gives more emphasis on the language structure and sentence structure. The basic problem is the teachers, like all Indian teachers, make you cram these words that people don't really use on a daily basis, plus they make you memorize like 10 pages of say, Wren and Martin. I remember having to do that in 6th grade😆 So yeah, due to the education system, the  usage is not correctly upheld.

On the other hand, despite the changing times, English is still a language of the elites, per se. I mean, if you go to a lower middle class or lower class family and converse in English, they might screw up on proper structure etc...I don't mean to put it as a problem in India, because India is certainly better off than some first world countries like Spain, France etc, where you'd be fortunate to find a English speaker. Just stating the facts.

I guess people have already mentioned the usage of this shorthand lingo. It is apparently convenient. I don't get the convenience, but guess I am not alone...anyways, many people also think it is a style statement and it is 'cool' to use this lingo, so they use it just for the heck of it, even if they find it a problem. 

@bold ... In Spain (nor in France), English is not an official language ,,, yes its important and essential to know English in this century but they don't have the obligation to learn it.
If my parents wouldn't be Indian i dont think Id know English either which is a sad thing here in Spain
I agree tht the level here is poor , actually very poor .. but Spain isnt India .. in India the 2nd official language is English while in Spain, English is not an official language.. its language tht some pepole are just fortunate to learn

and @dia ... i dunno girl .. in my opinion all India wants is bring English as the most imp and spoken laguage there ,,, hence i think its essential to know English being a celeb
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
This content was originally posted by: debayon

I can't speak for Spain, but many French people actually know English very well (barring accents). The problem with French people is that they take so much pride in French that they often refuse to speak in English, especially to those they deem obnoxious tourists or Americans.

From feedback with Spanish, Mexican and Polish people, many avoid talking in English especially to Americans because they feel they are being judged over their accents and pronunciations.

According to international tourism surveys Americans, Japanese and Indians are the most xenophobic tourists and have the hardest time communicating and assimilating due to their inabilities to open up to a different culture. On the other hand Dutch, Israelis, and Scandinavians are most embracing and report least communication issues.

The language barrier in speaking English tends not to be an education issue, but also an issue of cross-cultural communication and perception as well.

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

I wish I was kidding Choco but unfortunately I'm not. After speaking to so many people that got their CBSE results last Monday I can't help but think that it has lost its credibility. CBSE 'international' board? Err, yeah right.

Haha yeah I wasn't that bad with SMS language but I wasn't much better either. Most people will eventually see sense or well, they'll just grow up.

This is an international board exam. What has the world come to?

Oh lol..I didn't used to write lyk dis but my grammar/sentence structure/writing in general was awful. 😆 Now it's better 😆
debayon thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: chocolover89

This is an international board exam. What has the world come to?

From when did CBSE become international?😆

debayon thumbnail

I can't speak for Spain, but many French people actually know English very well (barring accents). The problem with French people is that they take so much pride in French that they often refuse to speak in English, especially to those they deem obnoxious tourists or Americans.

From feedback with Spanish, Mexican and Polish people, many avoid talking in English especially to Americans because they feel they are being judged over their accents and pronunciations.

According to international tourism surveys Americans, Japanese and Indians are the most xenophobic tourists and have the hardest time communicating and assimilating due to their inabilities to open up to a different culture. On the other hand Dutch, Israelis, and Scandinavians are most embracing and report least communication issues.

The language barrier in speaking English tends not to be an education issue, but also an issue of cross-cultural communication and perception as well.

Indians and xenophobic? Haha, so true😆 Anyways, I agree about the French with what you said, they are indeed too proud and not just with Americans, any tourists. That's why the Vietnamese had a hard time assimilating there😆 Hence, the stereotype "French hate everyone; everyone hates French"😆 Well, my parents don't have an American accent, so yeah, dunno how they would feel vulnerable like that. Wonder why so much ego..maybe WWII led to increased nationalism. Hmmm, anyways, sorry for going off topic😆 Edited by debayon - 12 years ago
debayon thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: ekta_salman

@bold ... In Spain (nor in France), English is not an official language ,,, yes its important and essential to know English in this century but they don't have the obligation to learn it.
If my parents wouldn't be Indian i dont think Id know English either which is a sad thing here in Spain
I agree tht the level here is poor , actually very poor .. but Spain isnt India .. in India the 2nd official language is English while in Spain, English is not an official language.. its language tht some pepole are just fortunate to learn

and @dia ... i dunno girl .. in my opinion all India wants is bring English as the most imp and spoken laguage there ,,, hence i think its essential to know English being a celeb

Oh, you're from Spain? I'm sorry if I offended you😊

I never said they HAVE to learn, just that in this age of globalization, India is much better off than other 1st world countries as far as communication is concerned. That's why you see call centers being set up mostly in India. 

Actually India doesn't have an official language. Yes, the most widely spoken language spoken there is Hindi, but it is not official. 
Previous
1 2 3 4 5 6
Next